Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I laughed when I read "Not a hemi vs 6 thread" ... and that was before I even read the thread. :sleep:
Same 'ol same 'ol on the F150 forums only there its the eco boost V6 fan boys vs. the NA V8 fan boys.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4X4, 3.6L V6
47 Posts
I've always loved the in line 6! The old Chrysler 225cid slant six would last for ever! Also loved the 4.0l in my '96 XJ Sport!

Sorry, back on topic! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: moparado

·
Registered
2021 JGC High Altitude 3.6L
39 Posts
Interesting what a transmission (no. of speeds) and weight can do to have a more pleasant powertrain. I had a Liberty 3.7L 42RLE (4 speed) was a dog. Very slow and thirsty. The same engine 3.7 with a W5A580 on a WK was a more pleasant vehicle to drive (still quite thirsty) . Same 3.7L/W5A580 on a heavier XK (Commander) + 500 lbs. heavier than the WK was pathetic, it would not stay in top gear at freeway speeds.

On the WK2, the 3.6 Pentastar with the W5A580 behind it is good, but just perfect with the 850RE!

·
Registered
2014 JGC
20 Posts
The 3.6 is pretty amazing in my book, especially coupled to the 8-speed transmission in our 2014 JGC. I have a 21ft travel trailer (3000Lb empty weight) and towed it for 15 years with a 2002 Isuzu Trooper (3.5v6 215hp 4-speed automatic). The Trooper did pretty well with it, but the power difference for towing is night and day. Of course pairing the 8-speed to the Isuzu probably would have made a world of difference too! Too often on a grade, 3rd gear was too high and 2nd too low. I also think to a large degree, engines in general have greatly improved in recent years. Dad has about a 2006 Ford Expedition, I think 5.4v8 and of course 4-speed automatic. I honestly think I could out-tow it with the Jeep, or at least have a fighting chance.

I test drove an older (not the current body style) Dodge Durango...well, it was the Chrysler Aspen version of it, I think it was a 4.6 v8 or something like that. Quite anemic compared compared to the Jeep I ended up getting. But...I'm sure the current v8's have greatly improved as well. I would have been happy with a v8 as well, but not that common in the used market, and I'm sure commanding a higher price that's just not worth it to me personally.

Before I bought it, I read someone's comment somewhere that with that engine and transmission, they didn't miss their v8. I can see why they might say that, especially coming from an older and less powerful v8. Which makes me think of the 351 v8 in the 79 Ford van I learned to drive in...talk about anemic, especially with a high-geared rear end. But boy did it sound good! :)

Unfortunately, I'll have to admit that other than the drivetrain, I still prefer pretty much everything else about the old Trooper...

Wesley

·
Registered
2015 4X4 diesel JGC Limited
52 Posts
The Pentastar is a good engine, particularly combined with the 8 speed, and the vast majority of JGCs are built with it.
I wish I had gotten that engine in my 2015 JGC instead of the diesel...this one has too many problems

·
Registered
403 Posts
The ZF 8HP tranny, and its versions, is used in the Pentastar V6, V6 3.0 ED and all iterations of the V8. No such thing as the "true V8 version"....
Our 2020 V6 Summit 8HP50 (Chrysler 850RE) shifts smoothly and is, in fact, a less clunky set-up than the 8HP70 we had in our 2014 JGC 3.0 ED.
Also FYI, the 50 after the 8HP denotes maximum gas motor torque of 500.
That's the thing though, the 850RE is a design license sold to and built by FCA in the United States also known as Torqueflite. They change a lot of the behavior as well so to call an 850RE a "true" ZF trans when it's not built or assembled in Germany by the manufacturer makes it vastly different for better or worse. So yes there is a true V8 version and it's the one that's built in Germany by the ZF manufacturer that comes in every FCA V8 they make to my knowledge.

Same mindset applies to why purist were pissed when certain BMW's started being assembled in Mexico.

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 3.6L 4x2
1,611 Posts
Ok....semantics ;)
Then let us agree that the 850RE (8HP50) is the same family as the ZF 8HP.
FYI - ZF also manufactures 8HP's for the US market at the ZF plant at Gray Court, South Carolina.

Reactions: RCP7

·
Registered
891 Posts
Ok....semantics ;)
Then let us agree that the 850RE (8HP50) is the same family as the ZF 8HP.
FYI - the 8HP trannies for the US market are manufactured at the ZF plant at Gray Court, South Carolina.
Glad mine was built in Germany back when the Chrysler versions were having some early issues.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,074 Posts
Glad mine was built in Germany back when the Chrysler versions were having some early issues.
I thought it was the 9spd transaxle that was having the issues, not the 8spd.
The software has to be tailored for the specific vehicle. ZF will do that for the manufacturer for a fee. FCA decided they could save money tailoring the software themselves, and they screwed it up. The ZF 9spd transaxle did have other problems that falls on ZF themselves. But there were many transmissions issue that had software written by FCA as the root cause, regardless if the trans was assembled in Germany or the U.S.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Early build 2014 models with the V6’s Chrysler built 8 speed had a higher than average number of software issues as compared to the German built transmissions being supplied for V8 and diesel applications - one of the deciding factors at the time for choosing the V8 when ordering. Thanks for confirming the FCA programming across the board!

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,074 Posts
Early build 2014 models with the V6’s Chrysler built 8 speed had a higher than average number of software issues as compared to the German built transmissions being supplied for V8 and diesel applications - one of the deciding factors at the time for choosing the V8 when ordering. Thanks for confirming the FCA programming across the board!
I had this argument over at Allpar.com forums. Everyone was saying why can't FCA hire a few good programmers, why is their software all buggy.

I try to get across the point, its not the programmers fault, the software isn't buggy.....

FCA doesn't have the knowledge/experience to know what to program for the Transmission, on top of that, at least in the case of 9spd transaxle, they gipped the test and development for the software. The software can be flawless as far as the syntax/structure and execution, but what is in that flawless software from the engineers is bad data, then the trans is not going to work right.

So software can be the cause of the problems, but that doesn't mean its the programmers fault, if the programmer was given bad data and parameters, doesn't matter how well they do their job, the trans is not going to work right. If the engineers aren't given the time and resources to test and develop the transmission, its not their fault they fail to recognize problems with what they were developing for the operating parameters and data for the trans.....

I suspect the problem was management, assuming they could program the trans themselves and then turned around and not provided the engineers the time and resources to properly develop it and they hand the software authors the best they could with what they had, no matter how good the actual software is written, the instructions and data in it is under developed and the trans doesn't operate properly.

I "believe" at one point, FCA went back to ZF and asked them to help and paid the fees to get their software unscrewed with ZF's help.

While I'm willing to believe the U.S. produced Trans (produced by FCA) had more problems then the German produced trans, I'm puzzled how software was behind it.
Either;
- The U.S. produced trans had enough changes made to it that it required different software, and FCA tailored it without ZF help....
- The U.S. produced trans had quality issues compared to the German produced trans that was behind the problem, and people seeing software reacting to the faults created by quality were assuming it was software issues.....

I don't have a ZF trans, what I've read, they have gone to drastic protection modes, software refusing to allow the engine to even start if the trans has certain faults..... ....while I can appreciate them trying to prevent trans damage, but if I had a brand new car that left me stranded, and the engine refused to start stating on the EVIC there is some trans fault, I'd be furious and also assume its software if the trans was working just fine before I shut the vehicle off.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4X4, 3.6L V6
47 Posts
I almost bought a '19 Cherokee Trailhawk w/ 4k miles, but with all the problems with the transmissions that I read about, it pushed me into a WK2. Glad it did. More than happy with what I bought.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,878 Posts
I almost bought a '19 Cherokee Trailhawk w/ 4k miles, but with all the problems with the transmissions that I read about, it pushed me into a WK2. Glad it did. More than happy with what I bought.
Starting in 2016 the 9 speed is a good transmission as long as you understand that it has some shifting quirks due to its design. The 2014s and some early 2015s have hardware and software issues that can lead to disastrous results.

·
Registered
2021 JGC High Altitude 3.6L
39 Posts
Starting in 2016 the 9 speed is a good transmission as long as you understand that it has some shifting quirks due to its design. The 2014s and some early 2015s have hardware and software issues that can lead to disastrous results.
Totally agree. I owned a 2016 Cherokee 3.2L Overland for 5 years. Had to live with the quirks but overall performed well. 9th gear was useless though. I would only get it to go to 9th when going 80mph downhill. Must have seen 9th gear only about a dozen times the 5 years I owned the car.

Love the performance of the 850RE on my 21 WK2 but I’ve experienced a few low speed (below 30mph) clunks when shifting. Not bothered me enough to complain and should be OK if it doesn’t get worse.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Ford F150s, etc. have some issues with not a 9 but their 10 gear transmissions.
Similar complaints; abrupt, hard and quirky unpredictable shifts.
Continual software updates since their 10 speed was introduced a few years ago.

So many transmission speeds these days why not just throw in a CVT transmission?
Never mind...even worse bad idea! (n)

·
Registered
78 Posts
For those wondering more about the 3.6L vs 5.7L engines...let the sparks fly!

***Reminder: Keep in mind It is a one person video review - enjoy!

The Specs and Fatal Flaws of the Chrysler 3.6L Pentastar V6 Engine

The Fatal Flaw of the 5.7L Hemi V8 Engine & How to Prevent It

·
Registered
33 Posts
For those wondering more about the 3.6L vs 5.7L engines...let the sparks fly!

***Reminder: Keep in mind It is a one person video review - enjoy!

The Specs and Fatal Flaws of the Chrysler 3.6L Pentastar V6 Engine

The Fatal Flaw of the 5.7L Hemi V8 Engine & How to Prevent It

Last I checked the WK2 from 2011-2021.... that Hemi "flaw" video specs the 2003-2008 FYI

·
Registered
78 Posts
Last I checked the WK2 from 2011-2021.... that Hemi "flaw" video specs the 2003-2008 FYI
I believe you're correct! I figured I post something like this because there are so many (and will always be) V6 vs V8 threads in reliability, gas mileage, long term, emergency use, every day driving, and etc.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I believe you're correct! I figured I post something like this because there are so many (and will always be) V6 vs V8 threads in reliability, gas mileage, long term, emergency use, every day driving, and etc.
I understand where youre coming from but thats like saying a LS4 from a 1970 Chevelle SS is the same as an LS4 in a Chevy Impala SS.

I have yet to hear of any WK2 having valve seat issues, lifter and cam sure... but thats totally different than the failure highlighted in the video.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I understand where youre coming from but thats like saying a LS4 from a 1970 Chevelle SS is the same as an LS4 in a Chevy Impala SS.

I have yet to hear of any WK2 having valve seat issues, lifter and cam sure... but thats totally different than the failure highlighted in the video.
It was debatable how objective he was in the video... made me wonder what vehicle he drove... unless I missed it

21 - 40 of 40 Posts