Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
GCSRT8
409 Posts
not to interrupt, i have the hawk ceramic pro pads. i have the R1 dimpled/slotted rotors.

i didnt get the pads from r1. i can say the pads leave a bit of braking on the table.....totally usable but for spirited driving I would go with something else. imo.
I was leaning toward the HPS's. I mean, these Jeeps were made to be on the extreme end of the spectrum, so why not stay there. I do want to cut down on dust (I can live with the noise), but at the sacrifice of performance? I dunno...

·
Long Live the Grey Ghosts
13,492 Posts
if you are asking me Jason, go with Hawk HPS. you want the same stopping or better than stock.

the ceramics are more for the mrs......

my xj has the 5.9 16inch wheels. i takes weeks to see any brake dust at all on the front wheels.

·
Registered
GCSRT8
409 Posts
if you are asking me Jason, go with Hawk HPS. you want the same stopping or better than stock.

the ceramics are more for the mrs......

my xj has the 5.9 16inch wheels. i takes weeks to see any brake dust at all on the front wheels.
Well, hell, I'm a single guy -----> HPS's IT IS!!!

Funny you mention the 5.9 wheels. I have a Silver 5.9 ('98, of course) and I am thinking of doing the brakes on that thing, too. Good to know that the brake dust won't be bad on those.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Wow, I couldn't believe that this deal was still going on!! I am definitely in need of new rear rotors and pads, but I am debating between the E-line rotors and the premium rotors. I have a 2006 Overland and I drive it :) but I also tow with it all summer long. I'm looking for something that will be better than stock, cause they never seemed too great when towing. I was looking into possibly going with slotted rotors in either line, but not sure if it is necessary or if possibly dimpled and slotted would be better.... Any advice guys??

·
13,492 Posts
i went with dimpled/slotted premium. I like them. they look good and perform well.

and the price is right!

·
Registered
174 Posts
would you recommend doing all four at the same time, even though I am only in need of the rears right now?? Also which pads would you recommend??

Thanks!!

·
13,492 Posts
2 or 4 is up to you and the budget.

for pads, for stopping like stock, low dust i recommend the hawk HPS.
I tried the Hawk Ceramic pro and I am not that happy. I have used the HPS on my XJ going on my third set and i am very happy with them.

·
Registered
174 Posts
do they wear quick? I've heard stories before that the drilled and slotted rotors cause the pads to wear extremely quick! I really want some better stopping power than stock especially when towing... but I'm still a kid in school so money is always limited! haha

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
It is highly recommended when you change rotors to change pads. I am pretty sure slotted rotors will eat pads faster than non drilled rotors, but that is the give and take. You want better performance, you gonna lose a bit of life. Trust me, if it does waste faster, it is not by a lot.

·
Registered
GCSRT8
409 Posts
It is highly recommended when you change rotors to change pads. I am pretty sure slotted rotors will eat pads faster than non drilled rotors, but that is the give and take. You want better performance, you gonna lose a bit of life. Trust me, if it does waste faster, it is not by a lot.
Yes, they will eat pads faster. They are designed to. The purpose of the slotting is to remove a small layer of the bedding material in the event that the pads "glaze over".

In my opinion, the life on these things is moot. Let's say that a set of regular rotors give your pads 40k miles. Then say that using slotted rotors only gives you 30k miles. That's a 25% life reduction, which sounds like a lot. But, I don't know about you guys, I have owned my SRT8 for about 14 months now and I have 12.5k on it. By the time I have to buy new pads, I'm not gonna care. It's not like you are buying these things every other month (or maybe you are and hence, your concern).

Steven's right, it's give and take. Very few things in this world allow you to "have your cake and eat it, too". If you want better performance, you're gonna have to compromise something (in this case, pad life... and a bit more of your paycheck :D). If someone made rotors that gave you better performance AND longer pad life, you can bet that people would be skeptical. And if it was true, you could bet they'd charge an arm and a leg for them.

BTW, Steven, you're gonna be hearing from me soon. As soon as I get my paycheck I'll be buying that SRT8 braking package!

·
Registered
GCSRT8
409 Posts
STEVE! I get paid on Wednesday and then I am gonna buy the SRT8 braking package. I wanna pay with my credit card. Should I call you to pay that way?

·
Registered
2006 Jeep SR8
1,017 Posts
as soon as I get my tax return I need them ASAP count me in... I saw 480 on "another" site?

·
Registered
GCSRT8
409 Posts
as soon as I get my tax return I need them ASAP count me in... I saw 480 on "another" site?
I thought Steve said $500 shipped for the rotors and then $175 for the HPS pads, totalling $675 shipped. Is this correct Steve? Are you offering a better deal over at the red site? I wouldn't know, I've been banned. If so, I think it's only fair you match the offer, since we are more loyal anyways! :lol:

·
Registered
2006 Jeep SR8
1,017 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Jeep SR8
1,017 Posts
If its that easy I thought I saw 350 hahaha ;)

·
Registered
GCSRT8
409 Posts
No problem, $485 it is buddy.
Really? That apply to me, too? If so, what is the total, including HPS pads and shipping? And is telephone the way to pay if I want to use a Visa card???

21 - 40 of 63 Posts