Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '00 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L that's had 10+ radiators and needs another. It fails every 10-12mo. with a pine hole in the core and the coolant has a charge of approximently .6-1.0 VDC. I would really like to solve this problem and keep the Jeep for another 250k miles. Weird thing is it's never gone through a heater core or as many water pumps.

I'm religious about new coolant yearly. I've tried grounding the radiator and flushing the system. Nothing seems to help minimize the existing charge. Even new fluid has a charge of .3 VDC and quickly climbs to .6-1.0 VDC.

Any advice on how to minimize the charge in the system so I can better troubleshoot?

There doesn't seem to be any service bulletins regarding the issue, but I can see a lot of people are talking about it.

I've checked the obvious grounds with an OHM meter. What am I missing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stock vehicle and radiator electrolysis is a common issue. All though there's no service bulletin there's a lot of people talking about it with there Jeep, truck, and boat.

They recommend flushing the system, a new thermostat, and check your grounds but nothing seems to eliminate the existing charge of .6 VDC. The current in the system is moving the metal around and within 10-12mo. creating a leak in the core of the radiator.

Some say there's a bad ground somewhere that's allowing the electricity to leak into the coolant versus the ground. Finding it is a different story....

Has anyone fixed their electrolysis issue?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With repeat flushes I've been able to get the voltage down to .35-.40 VDC. Time to drive it and see if it holds.

I've added 2 ground wires from the radiator core to frame.

Kennzzz - I've read about the sacrificial magnesium anodes. I'm working on getting one. The radiator is mounted on two rubber posts from factory.

Thank you everyone for the advice. I will continue to post my progress and results as we solve this issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.