Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I’m at my wits end trying to get my 04 Jeep Liberty radiator fan to kick on. I know the fan works because if I pull out a fuse relay thing for the fan it starts up but I get a check engine light. I’ve replaced both fuses for the radiator fan. I’ve installed a new thermostat sensor. I’ve added coolant to the cold fill line when engine was cold. Idk what else to do

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Can we assume its an electric fan and not a hydraulic fan since you mentioned fuses and relays?
I lost track of what years and trims use hydraulic fans.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
2,294 Posts
Most likely it is ECU commanded, I would get a good scanner that can manually activate it to test.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can we assume its an electric fan and not a hydraulic fan since you mentioned fuses and relays?
I lost track of what years and trims use hydraulic fans.
Watch Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Hand Sports gear Gesture Finger Sports equipment
I don’t have this part or the connector anywhere in my engine bay. I have a hole where it would mount but it doesn’t look like anything was ever put there

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Holy crap no idea what that connector is and apparently it hasn't been used for a while.
Could be some diagnosis connector just a wild ass guess.
Maybe someone else here can ID it.

Yep AZ should be able to scan the PCM for trouble codes and for free.
Keep in mind that efan won't kick on until the engine temperature reaches a certain level.
A quick test would be to turn on the AC, the efan should turn on in a few seconds with a hot engine.

Some later years and trims have an efan variable speed control module which could be the issue.
Earlier years like my 2K is binary, either the efan is on full balls or off.

Can i ask why you're concerned about the efan not turning on?
Is it an engine overheating condition?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Holy crap no idea what that connector is and apparently it hasn't been used for a while.

Keep in mind that efan won't kick on until the engine temperature reaches a certain level.
A quick test would be to turn on the AC, the efan should turn on in a few seconds with a hot engine.

Some later years and trims have an efan variable speed control module which could be the issue.

Alrighty I’ll give it a test with the ac at temp. My Jeep doesn’t over heat but I just got a new radiator and since then I’ve noticed that the radiator fan never turns on when the engine is at operating temperature. Like I drove 30 miles on the highway doing 70mph the whole time and when I got to my destination I popped my hood and the fan was not on. I’m worried that it will overheat during the summer when it gets hotter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Alrighty I’ve tested it at temp with the ac on full blast cold and heat and it never turned on. I’ll be going by a auto parts store today to see what a scan tool can find out

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Alrighty I’ve tested it at temp with the ac on full blast cold and heat and it never turned on. I’ll be going by a auto parts store today to see what a scan tool can find out
Good plan!
Driving on a highway at 70 mph for 30 miles will likely not turn on the fan. There's enough air flow at that speed through the radiator to keep the cooling system happy.

Normally the efan will turn on during a long idle period or prolonged stop and go city driving in hot weather with the AC on.
Other than that the efan is only a PCM enabled backup fan when the main clutch fan can't provide enough air flow through the radiator to cool the engine down.

Have you checked the efan fuse and relay?
Or verified the efan itself is not bad?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good plan!
Driving on a highway at 70 mph for 30 miles will likely not turn on the fan. There's enough air flow at that speed through the radiator to keep the cooling system happy.

Normally the efan will turn on during a long idle period or prolonged stop and go city driving in hot weather with the AC on.
Other than that the efan is only a PCM enabled backup fan when the main clutch fan can't provide enough air flow through the radiator to cool the engine down.

Have you checked the efan fuse and relay?
Or verified the efan itself is not bad?
I’ve replaced both low and high fuses for the fan and I know the fan works because if the car is on and I pull out a fuse either low or high the fan kicks on but I get a check engine light because the fuse was removed

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I’ve replaced both low and high fuses for the fan and I know the fan works because if the car is on and I pull out a fuse either low or high the fan kicks on but I get a check engine light because the fuse was removed
My bad, I read a lot of threads here and sometimes lose track of whats been previously said.

Does your engine over heat? The reason you're concerned about the efan?
Typically, the efan comes on when the AC is enabled especially with a hot engine in hot weather.

Looked up your '04 Liberty at Rockauto and apparently it uses a cooling fan module and a cooling fan controller of which either one could be bad if the efan never comes on.
Because of all that extra efan electronics involved, i suspect the module is a solid state relay and the controller varies the fan's speed.
Your efan could be either variable speed or multi speed don't know.

There's a 50/50 chance a related CEL code could be stored in the PCM.
Have you been to AZ yet to get the PCM scanned for trouble codes?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts