Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I have a 2020 Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.6 with 13k miles on it. Recently it has developed a rattle when accelerating. I can reproduce the sound consistently, most clear when pressing the accelerator at lower speeds when in drive. I brought it into the dealership however was told to bring it in again if the sound gets louder because they cannot locate the source. No noise when in neutral, idle, or if brake boosting. I have no idea what it is, it's driving me nuts. Any help would be appreciated.

Link to folder with videos.

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 3.6L 4x2
2,315 Posts
Did you/they check the insulation adjacent to the exhaust system?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So funny update, after messing around with the vehicle i noticed that i would get a reproducible check engine light at high rpm, around 5000+, with a code for cylinder 6 misfire. Brought it in to the shop, they ended up changing one of the cam shafts, stating there was a manufacturing defect on one of the lobes. Fixed the misfire, didn't fix the rattling.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did not, I installed an aftermarket exhaust to cover the noise haha. Still hear it and it irritates me. But until it gets louder i don't think there is much i can do about it. I would probably need a Dyno to isolate the location of the noise.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Is it a true random type rattle or a consistent frequency type of noise?
Does it sound like metal to metal noise?

If its a true rattle then i'd guess its probably something loose somewhere.
If the noise is a consistent frequency metal to metal noise then it could be something more serious.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's a pretty consistent frequency and sound at certain engine rmp, especially during initial acceleration. I guess I'm just waiting for something to break or cause bigger problems. Dealership could not find the source however I'm suspicious that its something related to the transmission. Bummed cause I love this car, but not much else i can do right now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's a pretty consistent frequency and sound at certain engine rmp, especially during initial acceleration. I guess I'm just waiting for something to break or cause bigger problems. Dealership could not find the source however I'm suspicious that its something related to the transmission. Bummed cause I love this car, but not much else i can do right now.
I think we might be on the same boat here. Check out my post and see if your sound is similar to mine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts