Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done a brake job here themselves? I'm having a hard time figuring out what size the hex bolts are that hold the calipers on. I found a wk2 owner that did a how-to on the front and he stated they are 10mm. Backs are def not...
They aren't 8mm or 6mm.

I guess I'll eventually figure it out via process of elimination, but it would be cheaper if i could just go buy the correct size...

Anyone here know?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

·
Registered
156 Posts
Has anyone done a brake job here themselves? I'm having a hard time figuring out what size the hex bolts are that hold the calipers on. I found a wk2 owner that did a how-to on the front and he stated they are 10mm. Backs are def not...
They aren't 8mm or 6mm.

I guess I'll eventually figure it out via process of elimination, but it would be cheaper if i could just go buy the correct size...

Anyone here know?

9MM hex and 18MM on caliper bracket bolts. Fronts are a 11 , 10 will work but the hex will turn it out but will be stuck in there and u will need to turn it clockwise to free it , caliper bracket bolts are 21MM

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right and I wouldn't have any money to buy anything else either. Stock brakes work fine! The GC is not a race car....

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you know the torque specs for those hex bolts?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW, those sizes are really hard to find! Sears-nope; advance auto-nope, pep boys-nope (no surprise there)

·
Registered
2 Posts
They aren't 8mm or 6mm.

Anyone here know?

Thank you!!!

just did mine 7mm 2004 grand cherokee

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,131 Posts
A 2004 JGC would be two generations before the WK2, not sure how much it applies to this forum.... ...but, yes, many WK2's have 7mm hex socket slide pins, many have 11mm hex socket slide pins....

The WK2 first had 11mm socket size for the Caliper Slide Pins, both front and rear.
They started to switch to slide pins with a 7mm hex head socket instead.... (I "think" later model came with 7mm, and the replacement pins were 7mm also)....
My 2011 had 11mm hex socket slide pins, both front and rear, after replacing all my calipers with rebuilds (used and my brakes were all gunked up) I now have all 7mm hex socket slide pins.....

BTW, while it is much easier to pull the pins to do a brake job, but it is possible to take caliper and bracket off together by pulling the 21mm and 18mm bolts on the bracket to the knuckle, removed the pads from the caliper and bracket while its together, then you have the room to slide the caliper and bracket apart with the pins still torqued into the bracket..... ..you can clean and lube them also... ....its possible, but still much more awkward and frustrating then just pulling the pins....

·
Registered
JGC
103 Posts
Just did the Rear pads today. Not difficult at all after watching this video from jimthecarguy:
On the 2014's (and likely up), the pins are 7mm. Your ratchet will work on the top one, but not on the lower one. I didn't have a ratcheting 7mm wrench to attach to the hex, so the bottom one took a little more effort doing it with my fingers after breaking it loose with a standard L hex. Did buy these Amazon.com: Ruien 2 Pack Jack Pad Adapter Rubber Jack Pads Slotted Frame for Jack Stand General-Purpose Rubber: Automotive to slip over my Kobalt jack stands for the pinch welds and worked like a champ, but the jack was still supporting it also. They worked even though my jack stand saddle is at least 33mm and they show the width of the adapter at 28mm. Fit like a glove on mine. Don't trust my floor jack anymore, getting on it's last leg, so using floor jacks also now.
With 89K miles the rears, the pads still looked to have another 20K life left in them, but I'd noticed the rears didn't seem to brake like they had earlier, so installed them. After test driving it, I'm glad I didn't wait. I bought the fronts also, but I'm going to wait another 20K before considering swapping them out. For the front pinch weld (I'm tired of using the scissor jack), I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078J55SBW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Didn't use it today, but put it up into the pinch weld and it held. No reason to believe it won't work well with my floor jack.
I went with the Akebono ACT1629A Front HD and ACT1498 Rear from Rock Auto. Not saying these are the best by any means, just relating the ones I decided to buy for my style of driving. For reference, I don't drive in stop and go traffic on a regular basis, very infrequent. Also, when driving in the Rockies, frequent, I use the paddle shifters versus the brakes on downhill stretches and in heavy traffic.
Hope this helps anyone that reads this. Not going to go into any further detail on the brake pad install as I wouldn't be able to do it better than jimthecarguy.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,131 Posts
Someone posted the switch to 7mm hex socket pins was to reduce noise, especially from the rear brakes. Don't know how true that is, but it makes sense if it is true.
The pins with 11mm hex sockets were very hollow, the ends had a relatively thin wall around the 11mm opening, especially the rears that are smaller pins.....
The ends look like a bell, ok, in a way, but you get what I'm saying, vibration goes through those pins, having a hollow end in the rear could make some noise...
The pins with 7mm hex sockets are much more solid on the end, not thin walls...

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,131 Posts
I'm sure the 11mm more than solid enough to operate the brakes, but not solid enough to deaden all vibrations that could result in noise and the smaller rear with the same socket had close to a bell on the end of it....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts