Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How difficult is it to replace the chrome step plate on the back bumper that runs around the plastic center part? It looks like I can snag one for about $60 bucks. It has a minor dent in it and its driving me nuts. It looks like it just clips in or something based on the picture but I cant find if its a DIY or something a dealer will have to do.

As a side note, I also need to replace the plastic bottom portion of the rear bumper cover that has the muffler cutout. That also has minor damage to it but based on the pictures, it looks like clips and some screw stuff, Im guessing that is pretty easy.

If you have any advice on what I am facing by replacing these or if its easy DIY, let me know. I am hoping I don't need to take the bumper cover completely off to tackle this.

Thanks,
Russ

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,388 Posts
A photo and what year and trim level your JGC is would help.

I haven't replaced the different parts of the fascia, but in past vehicles I've owned its not to hard at all, most DIY'er can do it. It might be above the very beginner level that isn't mechanically inclined.

On this forum there are some documents you can download. The parts catalog and sales code guide can help, as well as the build sheet for your vehicle that you can get from the Jeep/Mopar Site.

Just a quick google search for a quick sample of the part numbers for the lower part of the fascia for a 2014 yielded about $150, there was one on eBay for $840, but that is likely an anomaly.

If you try Rockauto.com you might aftermarket replacements, might be adequate quality but cheaper. Of course the cheaper may need to be painted with color matched paint. My impression is, if you order the OEM part number by sales code, it will come colored to match.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The rear step pad surround is super easy to change, it'll take you maybe 10 minutes. You dont have to completely remove the step pad, only lift up the rear edge of it. You can do that by sliding a trim tool under the rear edge, and lifting up. It'll require some force, and there are clips all along the rear edge, but once they are all undone, the step pad will be "hinged" where the tailgate is, and you can just slide the step pad surround back out. Putting the new step pad surround is as easy as just sliding it back in, being mindful that there are a few clips that help the surround seat correctly.

I would've taken a few pictures of the process, but it went so quick I completely forgot when I did mine.

As far as the lower bumper trim, I would imagine they are held on by clips just like the front bumper, but I have no idea. That might require taking the rear bumper cover off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you talking about placing the trim tool between the chrome and the plastic middle part that has the ribbed plastic? I consider myself handy but definitely no a pro. I typically have the basic tools to do most common car work. Thanks for your info, makes me feel better tackling it.

Russ

The rear step pad surround is super easy to change, it'll take you maybe 10 minutes. You dont have to completely remove the step pad, only lift up the rear edge of it. You can do that by sliding a trim tool under the rear edge, and lifting up. It'll require some force, and there are clips all along the rear edge, but once they are all undone, the step pad will be "hinged" where the tailgate is, and you can just slide the step pad surround back out. Putting the new step pad surround is as easy as just sliding it back in, being mindful that there are a few clips that help the surround seat correctly.

I would've taken a few pictures of the process, but it went so quick I completely forgot when I did mine.

As far as the lower bumper trim, I would imagine they are held on by clips just like the front bumper, but I have no idea. That might require taking the rear bumper cover off.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Are you talking about placing the trim tool between the chrome and the plastic middle part that has the ribbed plastic? I consider myself handy but definitely no a pro. I typically have the basic tools to do most common car work. Thanks for your info, makes me feel better tackling it.

Russ
Yes, between the chrome piece and the black plastic step pad is where you'll pry up. There are these long flexible clips that extend from the black plastic step to under the chrome surround piece, and into the bumper cover. You just need to pry up a bit and they will pop out with a little force. There's quite a few clips along the outer edge, and they are a bit tricky to get back in, but if you use a plastic trim tool, and are patient, it is straight forward.

The clips are between the red arrows I drew

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your response. I was going to purchase the parts required from Carparts.com and I chatted with a rep and he advised me NOT to purchase the parts as they are not guarnteed to fit. The items say 2011-2017. I said that the JGC didn't have a redesign and that it should fit but he was concerned that maybe they might have changed the clip/hole layouts and wont fit properly. Anyone have experience on replacing parts with 2017 on the 2018 JGC?

Yes, between the chrome piece and the black plastic step pad is where you'll pry up. There are these long flexible clips that extend from the black plastic step to under the chrome surround piece, and into the bumper cover. You just need to pry up a bit and they will pop out with a little force. There's quite a few clips along the outer edge, and they are a bit tricky to get back in, but if you use a plastic trim tool, and are patient, it is straight forward.

The clips are between the red arrows I drew

·
Registered
87 Posts
I checked on this. Mopar part number is 6CG07SZ0AB. This number matches across all years 2011-17. I'm also looking to replace this too. I think you may be safe to purchase the one you've looked at.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts