Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Grand Cherokee
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some have done with replacing the rear lower reflectors with led lights to act as fogs, or brakes or turn signals, I was wondering if anyone has any images of the "plug n play" harness that some companies offer. Reason being im fully able to make my own and was just curious what the harness actually looked like in terms of what plugs are being utilized to piggy back off the main body harness for the tails.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,176 Posts
I spliced into the wiring at the tail light and ordered connectors from Amazon for the bumper housing sockets. Not plug and play but I'm not interested in ever removing them.

·
Premium Member
Trailhawk
944 Posts
I purchased the Curt wiring harness (https://www.curtmfg.com/part/55384) as well as a four wire plug in pigtail. I connected those ends to the new rear fog lights. I did purchase a can of liquid electrical tape and sealed the open areas on the 55384 connectors. Cheap easy and works perfectly.

·
Registered
15 Grand Cherokee
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More notes with the imprinted numbers on the connectors

Marker
34062-0047
https://nexelec.com/MOLEX-340620027/
04 <PA6-GF30>
http://marketing.powerandsignal.com/Extranet/95792/pdf/MX150/mx150-340620021-1x2csrec.pdf
http://www.cycleterminal.com/molex-mx150.html

Brake / Turn
17104-12

ZFI-07048-U0 (The last character could be an O not zero{0})
Broken Glass, thank you great info right there , appreciate you doing the leg work. I originally planned on using posi taps but figured i can easily build the harness. I have a bunch of wire at home and loom also so it shouldnt be a bad deal. Thanks again.

·
Registered
15 Grand Cherokee
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I spliced into the wiring at the tail light and ordered connectors from Amazon for the bumper housing sockets. Not plug and play but I'm not interested in ever removing them.
What functions did you make yours do? Just curious.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,176 Posts
I have the euro turn signals enabled so they are tapped in to do running and brake lights. I have a splice on the drivers one to be an actual rear fog but have never taken the time to install a switch and run the wiring.

·
Registered
15 Grand Cherokee
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the euro turn signals enabled so they are tapped in to do running and brake lights. I have a splice on the drivers one to be an actual rear fog but have never taken the time to install a switch and run the wiring.
Gotcha, well i took some pictures of my sockets and plugs in the rear assembly and used the website i was given above. The function of the new lights like i said has a led border when driving and then the rest of the unit will light when the brake is pressed. To make things simple i may just use the posi taps to see and make sure the lights function as i want them to and then dive into completing a functional harness.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Where do you get lamps that have an LED border? The ones I got are simple reflector replacements with a standard LED bulb in them.

·
Registered
15 Grand Cherokee
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where do you get lamps that have an LED border? The ones I got are simple reflector replacements with a standard LED bulb in them.
Ebay , only place i could find them and its not a full border but about 3/4. The version i bought was around $55 and there is another company selling identical lights with supposed CREE Leds for around $80

·
Registered
362 Posts
That's a great find! I looked on ebay this morning and found that there are now several vendors selling the same thing out of China for as low as $50 so I ordered a set. They won't arrive until mid-December so I'll tell my wife that they are her Christmas gift... very romantic. :giggle:

·
Registered
15 Grand Cherokee
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks
That's a great find! I looked on ebay this morning and found that there are now several vendors selling the same thing out of China for as low as $50 so I ordered a set. They won't arrive until mid-December so I'll tell my wife that they are her Christmas gift... very romantic. :giggle:
Thanks Wiz , if i didn’t see these I wouldn’t have bought them. Like I said I have to look at the Jeep wiring and see if I can get these to work for only drl and brakes. I do not want them to function as turn signals. It I like the border because it won’t be blasting a bright light while driving around , instead only when brakes are applied. But since our brake bulb and blinker are one , I’m not sure if I can only tap one wire for the brake or if the computer controls that with a flasher module. Worse case I would have to somehow tap the 3rd brake light wire which will suck.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I agree... you wouldn't want it looking like one of those weird Hyundais with the turn signals low in the bumper completely separate from all other tail lights. In my case, I've done the reprogramming to convert the outer portion of the backup lights to amber turn signals so connecting directly to the brake lights makes the lower lights work only with the brakes and not with the signals. There was an extra wire in the harness to connect them as running/parking lights as well but I didn't connect that because I didn't like the look. Now with the border outline running lights I'll be able to use that extra wire. It should look well integrated since the factory tail lights have a similar sort of border outline illumination.

·
Registered
15 Grand Cherokee
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree... you wouldn't want it looking like one of those weird Hyundais with the turn signals low in the bumper completely separate from all other tail lights. In my case, I've done the reprogramming to convert the outer portion of the backup lights to amber turn signals so connecting directly to the brake lights makes the lower lights work only with the brakes and not with the signals. There was an extra wire in the harness to connect them as running/parking lights as well but I didn't connect that because I didn't like the look. Now with the border outline running lights I'll be able to use that extra wire. It should look well integrated since the factory tail lights have a similar sort of border outline illumination.
You took the words out of my mouth. And main reason I got them since they have that border. Otherwise I wouldn’t have done it. Plus most of those lights have a single led bulb whereas these are multiple leds. I want to throw power to them off a power supply first to see how they are and then figure out the wiring for them. I’m assuming if I connect directly to the tail light harness they will work but once I turn the blinker on they will blink so... drawing board. But for you yours will be nice and easy , please update on here whenever you get them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts