Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

141 - 148 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
GCSRT8
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
not sure what you and rob tackled there but if you remember a while back i wanted to use the 2006 three bulbed tails in my 2010... is that what you guys tried?
Rob tried to put the export tails on his '07 and have them function just like the export tails should. This proved to be pretty much impossible. Our attempted solution was to use a 2-wire to 3-wire convertor, but it didn't work.

Now, the other option is to have the top two bulbs function in unison, mimicing the function of the '07+ Jeeps taillights, just with one more bulb. This is what I did on my '98 to make the taillights "appear" brighter when I flip the turn signals on.

Is this what you're getting at?

·
Banned
4,658 Posts
yea thats was it. may just use my alternate tails i have. im quite eager to see how theyll look on my jeep since its outlined in black to match my jeep...

just not sure i want to try it yet... i know you can bang that out as i passed on the offer back when. ill let you know if i do.

·
Long Live the Grey Ghosts
13,492 Posts
I do have some ideas. Main one is to get the reverse light override kit together. I can make it work really slick if I had a factory service manual. Anyone have an FSM for an '07 to '10 Grand Cherokee? I can get the kit working if I had one.
i have 7 and 8, send me a PM with the Addy one time Jason.

That wouldn't be terribly difficult. I could do that rather easily. Lemme guess, you are looking for something like that?

i already made my own from the harnesses i had for that euro light project but putco and a few others are coming out with cool leds so this way almost anyone could use a regular 3157.

yea thats was it. may just use my alternate tails i have. im quite eager to see how theyll look on my jeep since its outlined in black to match my jeep...

just not sure i want to try it yet... i know you can bang that out as i passed on the offer back when. ill let you know if i do.
does your light have amber? if not like lips said you just make tboth bulbs do it all for ablink or brake. one for parking lamp. thats simple.

I got f'ed cause I had a red bulb then an amber bulb so we needed to totally seperate the brake blink which is on one wire. so if you have 2 red and then the reverse it would be easy to do.

·
Banned
4,658 Posts
i wish it did. its the lights i have listed in the BST.^^ i may just use them after all. if it turns out i dont like the look, ill just throw back in the OEMs.

90/10 in favor of trying it out to see how it looks.

cheers rob-

·
Registered
GCSRT8
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
does your light have amber? if not like lips said you just make tboth bulbs do it all for ablink or brake. one for parking lamp. thats simple.

I got f'ed cause I had a red bulb then an amber bulb so we needed to totally seperate the brake blink which is on one wire. so if you have 2 red and then the reverse it would be easy to do.
Rob, don't both the upper AND lower bulbs come on as parking lamps? I think some vehicles have it this way and others don't. Now that you mention it, the LED tails I bought for my '98 have the ENTIRE light come on as a parking light, but only the upper bulb on the stock tails did. So I guess it depends. I would much prefer the entire light. That would be way more visible.

BTW, I am doing surgery on an extra set of ZJ LED tails I have. A couple LED's here and there are no longer lighting. When I pulled it apart, I found that 2-3 of the individual LED's are tied to a single resistor. Thus, if the resistor fails, all 3 LED's fail. I guess what I am getting at is I think I can just solder on new resistors and get the "burnt out" LED's working again. It's uncommon for an LED to burn out. 2 or 3 at one time is exponentially less common.

If I could just figure out how to get the WK tails open now, then I could start repairing lights for guys. I know 2 or 3 guys that have some individual LED's out and feel like they have to get a whole new set of lights. Is there a write-up out there on how to get them open?

·
Long Live the Grey Ghosts
13,492 Posts
i have a huge video and have been unable to edit it......made it on the new HD camera in that AVHD sony file type....

anyway, i baked an oem tailight and 10 minutes at 230 and it melted to heck....but it popped right open. MY POINT is i think the tails are very easy to open with some heat....maybe a heat gun.......

·
Registered
GCSRT8
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
i have a huge video and have been unable to edit it......made it on the new HD camera in that AVHD sony file type....

anyway, i baked an oem tailight and 10 minutes at 230 and it melted to heck....but it popped right open. MY POINT is i think the tails are very easy to open with some heat....maybe a heat gun.......
Yeah, I was thinking that maybe something like a hot knife could do it, I just want to make sure the finished product looks good, obviously.

Any luck with those file-sharing sites? I guess you could just mail the CD if you want. With the FSM in hand, I can make a reverse override solution that wouldn't require running wire to the back of the Jeep. It could be 100% under the dash.

Plus, any future requests could be handled easier, too. Heated seats on with remote start, anyone?

141 - 148 of 148 Posts