Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone please educate and advise me. I have a stock '14 Jeep GC Overland that has Quadra-Lift. I have a leaking rear shock so I need a recommendation on new ones. Every shock I've seen says "don't use with air bags". I want to upgrade somewhat from the standard dealer shock that failed so quickly for me. Why won't the regular shock (without Q-L) work when you have Q-L and what upgraded shock will work?

·
Super Moderator
8,703 Posts
The shocks used beside QL have different design (particularly in the mounting setup) from "regular" shocks...you have to use the OEM or equivalent.

·
Premium Member
2014 JGC OVRLND
645 Posts
Re: Rear Shocks when you have Quadra-Lift®?

Unity has a shock that it says is for both air suspension and non-air suspension, they will not work with the Nivomat load leveling system. Mopar's[#68069675AD] are also for both Air Suspension or not. All the other aftermarket shocks for the 14' JGC say they will only work with the non-air and non-load leveling suspension. I assume since those manufacturers do not make the front air struts the way Unity does[#18-117701-left, #18-117702-right] , they simply have not tested those with the air suspension. It is also possible the mount is more universal (maybe additional hardware included) with the Mopar(OEM)[#68069675AD] and the Unity[#256500]. The Unity shocks[#256500] (which show a part cross reference to Monroe [#911304]) apparently are no longer made. Everyone shows out of stock including the manufacturer. The manufacturer does directly say their's works with both the air and non-air, but not the Nivomat. (You'd think they would have mentioned they're not available anymore.)
So, as far as anyone I can find to ask, those of us with the Quadra-Lift® air suspension are stuck with Mopar's Part # 68069675AD. If anyone has used anything else for the rear shocks and has Quadra-Lift®, please post your findings.:thumbsup:

P.S. BTW, I believe there was a recall on some early 14' JGCs for shocks leaking.

Also, on the front air struts, the lowest price per OEM struct [#68231882AC,68231883AC] I have seen online is around $1,000 per strut. The lowest price I have seen for the Unity [#18-117701-left, #18-117702-right] is $450 per strut. My dealer's parts department said they never, ever replaced a front strut on a JGC with Quadra-Lift®. I cannot find any information on the expected lifespan of the Front air struts. I can only assume they are designed to last a long time since they have never replaced one at my service center. My dealer charges $1,600 per Quadra-Lift® Strut.:rolleyes:

One more thing: Suncore Industries also makes the Front Quadra-Lift® Struts [PART #: 177C-18-F-PAIR] ($900-pair). Also Suncore says their product and the OEM should last 70-90k miles. Suncore also remanufactures the OEM at only $739 a pair. They have none right now though.:thumbsup:

If my post wasn't long enough: Milous posted this in October 2012:

68069678AA - (Not in parts system)
68069846AF - SDA, without SES (Normal Duty) - 58,- U$ (2011-2013 Durango)
68069675AD - SDA, SER without SES (Normal Duty) - 79,- U$ (2012-2013 WK)
68069671AC - SDA, without SER/SES (Normal Duty) - 87,- U$ (2011-2013 WK)
68069843AF - SDA, with SES (Normal Duty + SLS) - 430,- U$ (2011-2013 Durango)
68084522AC - SDE, without SER and/or SES (Sport) - 90,- U$ (2012-2013 WK)
68084523AC - SDE, SER (Sport) - 92,- U$ (2012-2013 WK)
68087613AF - SDE, with SES (Sport + SLS) - 430,- U$ (2011-2013 Durango)
68084521AA - SES, SDE (Sport + SLS) - 472,- U$ (2011 WK)
68069677AC - SDM, without SER and/or SES (Export) - 85,- U$ (2011-2013 WK)
68069676AD - SDM, SER without SES (Export) - 80,- U$ (2012-2013 WK)
68069680AB - SDA, SES or SDM (Export + SLS) - 494,- U$ (2011-2013 WK)
68039560AA - (Not in parts system)

68069680AC - (national backorder)
68069680AD - (in system as of 9/25/12, 0 availability)

Another place indicates 68039560AA may be on early Durangos and exports (Diesels).

Sales Codes:
SDA - Normal Duty Suspension
SDE - Sport Suspension
SDM - Export Tuned Suspension

SER - Quadra-Lift Air Suspension
SES - Rear Load Level Suspension
SDX - High Performance Suspension (SRT only)

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,335 Posts
I think, meaning I could be wrong, the front strut is physically different between conventional and QL suspension. Mounting the air bag over the strut is different than mounting a coil spring over the strut, thus they can't be interchanged. There also is likely differences in damping rates and other things.

The rear shocks are physically the same in mounting, but likely have different damping rates and other things to deal with the QL. Nivoromat is a whole other facet, its a shock that pumps up to normal ride height if you put more weight on the rear that would cause the rear to sag.

If I'm correct on that, you could bolt up a conventional shock to the rear of a QL suspension. The problem is, the characteristics of the shock wouldn't match the QL and it could perform very poorly and even be unsafe. The fact the manufacturer's don't list their shocks for both is evidence enough they don't consider it safe to use their shock with QL.

Monroe offers an aftermarket shock listed for both suspensions? Maybe it would work and be safe. But if you're looking for a longer lasting shock, well in my experience, the last place you should be looking for a longer lasting shock is Monroe and Gabriel. Every Monroe and Gabriel shock/strut I've used never lasted as long as the OEM shock/strut. Perhaps things are different today and they've improved their longevity, but considering how much less they cost than other shock/struts, I have my doubts.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Call me the guinea pig. I just ordered a set of Bilstein 4600 rear shocks for my '14 Overland with QL.

I've always loved Bilstein shocks on my BMW cars, firm, precise, and responsive.

My Overland handling, the rear feels like it just wallows around. Taking off from a red light, the slightest gas pedal input causes the back end to squat. On roads, the back end feels spongy, not stable. Going into curves, the Jeep just wants to roll.

I know many have adopted the Helwig or SRT rear bar to help, but I am convinced the shocks are the root cause.

If I have time this coming weekend I will explore if the 4600s work. My primary concern is total shaft length, will shaft of the 4600 extend the needed range to meet OR2 height? TBD.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,469 Posts
Keep us posted.

On the flip side I'd be concerned that they would allow too much travel and over-extend the bag.

Up until I got my new floor jack I couldn't jack up a Limited with tow from the center beam but I could with my Overland. Seems like the Nivomat shocks allow for more down travel. Either way I'm curious to see if they fit and if the ride is improved. It would cancel out the Maxcare on the shocks but may be worth the benefit.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
1,725 Posts
I think, meaning I could be wrong, the front strut is physically different between conventional and QL suspension. Mounting the air bag over the strut is different than mounting a coil spring over the strut, thus they can't be interchanged. There also is likely differences in damping rates and other things.

The rear shocks are physically the same in mounting, but likely have different damping rates and other things to deal with the QL. Nivoromat is a whole other facet, its a shock that pumps up to normal ride height if you put more weight on the rear that would cause the rear to sag.

If I'm correct on that, you could bolt up a conventional shock to the rear of a QL suspension. The problem is, the characteristics of the shock wouldn't match the QL and it could perform very poorly and even be unsafe. The fact the manufacturer's don't list their shocks for both is evidence enough they don't consider it safe to use their shock with QL.

Monroe offers an aftermarket shock listed for both suspensions? Maybe it would work and be safe. But if you're looking for a longer lasting shock, well in my experience, the last place you should be looking for a longer lasting shock is Monroe and Gabriel. Every Monroe and Gabriel shock/strut I've used never lasted as long as the OEM shock/strut. Perhaps things are different today and they've improved their longevity, but considering how much less they cost than other shock/struts, I have my doubts.
My experience generally with factory shocks is that they are shot by about 30K. I've replaced many with Monroe Reflex and have never worn them out. On my Explorer I had about 70K on the Monroes when I sold it and they were still fine. I also had some edlebrocks on the explorer before the Monroes and will never buy that brand again, they were shot in about 15K miles. OEM struts, in my experiance, seem to last a good long time. My 2000 Malibu had the original struts on it when I sold it at 220K miles and they seemed fine still.

·
Premium Member
2014 JGC OVRLND
645 Posts
I replaced my rear shocks at around the time generally recommended for rear shocks. I never replaced the front struts. They are only for the JGC-QL. There is an after market manufacturer of these, they also have a remanufactured original. The FCA price is way too high I would have gone with the after market ones, had I kept my JGC for much longer. I can't remember the company right now that makes the after market QL JGC struts. I think there is only one company that does it. There is no solution other than buying the QL front struts. The Rear shocks are the same for the QL and standard. There is a third setup that has to do with the "Load levelling Suspension", this is not the same as Quadra-Lift and should not be confused with it. The "Load levelling Suspension" rear shocks are different from both the QL and standard rear shocks which are the same. The QL Rear shock job is a little more time consuming but the same Mopar parts are used as the standard.

EDIT: Even though Mopar has one part for both the QL and standard, I have been told by other Shocks manufacturers that their shocks are only for the Non-QL and NON-load leveling. But, if I was having continuous problems with the Mopar, I would attempt to use standard shocks with the QL suspension. It is possible, you may need some fitment parts from the old ones. With the Struts, though, you are totally stuck. You have to go with struts specifically for the QL suspension.

EDIT: I just noticed my previous post. Lots of good info there...

BTW, I have moved to the 2019 Pacifica Hybrid Limited, S-Appearance. 32 Miles on Electricity only.

Reactions: Patrick-A51

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,469 Posts
My experience generally with factory shocks is that they are shot by about 30K. I've replaced many with Monroe Reflex and have never worn them out. On my Explorer I had about 70K on the Monroes when I sold it and they were still fine. I also had some edlebrocks on the explorer before the Monroes and will never buy that brand again, they were shot in about 15K miles. OEM struts, in my experiance, seem to last a good long time. My 2000 Malibu had the original struts on it when I sold it at 220K miles and they seemed fine still.
I had Edelbrocks on my 95 Sport. It was horrrrrrrrrible. The only way I dealt with it was because I was 16, thought I was cool, and didn't know any better. Those were the days. My 2000 XLT kept with OE equivalent and was much better. :lol: Never did replace that fifth shock to the rear diff though :confused:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm hopeful the 4600s will be a straight plug-n-play. They should arrive today or tomorrow.

I plan to measure rear ride height at standard and OR2 with my stock shocks. Then repeat measurements after install.

On the garage floor I also plan to attempt to measure shock shaft length for both stock and 4600. I want to ensure the 4600 has enough travel to allow OR2 height.

It is going to be a busy weekend, my wife's bday, family holiday get togethers, etc. Hope I will find time to knock out this project. Will keep you posted.

·
Super Moderator
8,703 Posts
My experience generally with factory shocks is that they are shot by about 30K.
Mine are at 106K. So are the front brakes and they are still above state inspection requirements. There's been no indication of any issues with my shocks or struts to-date.

Reactions: Patrick-A51

·
Premium Member
3,328 Posts
Can't wait to hear how the aftermarket rear QL replacements work. I had to replace mine with less than 20k miles. Couldn't find anything but OEM at the time. Driver rear was leaking, so MaxCare covered it, but I had to pay out of pocket for the Pass. rear because it hadn't failed. Thought it wasn't a good idea to replace just one side.

·
Registered
379 Posts
My 2014 Limited is at 51K miles and both rear shocks need to be replaced (the dealer has ordered the parts). Mine are covered by the extended warranty so that is now paid for. I hope that the new shocks last longer.

A Goodyear shop quoted me $1,520 to replace both shocks. I believe they would be Monroe ($600 part cost for each shock).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Update - The Bilstein 4600s work great. Part number 24-225427.

The mounting points are identical. The OE Jeep upper shock mount fits perfectly on the Bilstein Shock. I do recommend a pass-through socket set for the upper shock mount bolt. I made a trip to Lowes -

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-XTREME-ACCESS-22-Piece-Drive-Pass-Through-Socket/999956372

The upper shock nut is 18mm.

The only difference between the OE shock and the Bilstein, the Bilstein 4600 shaft at full extension is 3/4" longer measured from base to start of threads. This means the Bilstein will allow 3/4" more travel at full droop. After inspection, this did not pose any concern with the rear air spring. Seems the Air Spring even at OR2 has greater range.

I've done about 50 miles since the install, the rear feels more controlled and better dampened. Acceleration squat is slightly reduced and brake nose dives is slightly improved. Ride height was unchanged, I measured and checked at standard and OR2, no change. Overall I am pleased knowing I have a quality shock back there now, I am a fan boy of Bilstein from my years of tracking BMWs.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,469 Posts
Good information to have. Thanks for checking this out. Considering they are priced less than the MaxCare deductible I'd be willing to swap out myself.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
1,725 Posts
Update - The Bilstein 4600s work great. Part number 24-225427.

The mounting points are identical. The OE Jeep upper shock mount fits perfectly on the Bilstein Shock. I do recommend a pass-through socket set for the upper shock mount bolt. I made a trip to Lowes -

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-XTREME-ACCESS-22-Piece-Drive-Pass-Through-Socket/999956372

The upper shock nut is 18mm.

The only difference between the OE shock and the Bilstein, the Bilstein 4600 shaft at full extension is 3/4" longer measured from base to start of threads. This means the Bilstein will allow 3/4" more travel at full droop. After inspection, this did not pose any concern with the rear air spring. Seems the Air Spring even at OR2 has greater range.

I've done about 50 miles since the install, the rear feels more controlled and better dampened. Acceleration squat is slightly reduced and brake nose dives is slightly improved. Ride height was unchanged, I measured and checked at standard and OR2, no change. Overall I am pleased knowing I have a quality shock back there now, I am a fan boy of Bilstein from my years of tracking BMWs.
If its 3/4" longer it should be no problem when the suspension is jacked up. But it would seem to me that there's a good chance it will bottom out internally when the vehicle is at normal ride height and you hit a big bump and fully compress the suspension.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts