Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

81 - 100 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
2011 JGC
25 Posts
So my Bilstein 4600's are in, and I found videos of how to replace them on a non Quadralift JGC.......does anyone know where to point me for any special instructions on what I need to do since I have the QL air suspension? I cant find any thread here nor any videos, but saw random comments in a few places about how replacing rear shocks on a QL suspension is "different"......someone even suggested not to do it because the air bags on the axle need to be deflated, and only a dealer can do that.....

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
1,725 Posts
So my Bilstein 4600's are in, and I found videos of how to replace them on a non Quadralift JGC.......does anyone know where to point me for any special instructions on what I need to do since I have the QL air suspension? I cant find any thread here nor any videos, but saw random comments in a few places about how replacing rear shocks on a QL suspension is "different"......someone even suggested not to do it because the air bags on the axle need to be deflated, and only a dealer can do that.....
I don't think there's anything much different. If you read my comments on the link below you'll see how I approached the air suspension.. my first way was wrong....

·
Registered
2010 WH Grand Cherok
44 Posts
Further to above ,fitting the new rear shocks is exactly the same in a Quadralift vehicle or std spring one,except for deactivating the air suspension.Reason for saying to replace the upper shock mounts they can be corroded or worn.Didnt replace mine and got the dreaded shock knock.Upper mounts same part as std suspension

·
Registered
16 Posts
Great Thread!

2017 TH, models mentioned are older, anyone know if the 4600 will work on my model. I have about 50k on my odo and 35k of it I’ve had my boat connected. My rear shocks fell terrible.

edit* Just dawned on me, with extra weight of trailer would there be more concern for the extra length of the shock, of it possibly to bottom out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have the Bilstein 24-225427 shocks on the rear of 2107 Overland with the Quadralift and they fit and work fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I’m just curious if I would run into a issue of them bottoming out because of the extra length and my tow load is 5k lbs. Local guy recommended doing larger bump stops or airbags?

·
Registered
2010 WH Grand Cherok
44 Posts
I’m just curious if I would run into a issue of them bottoming out because of the extra length and my tow load is 5k lbs. Local guy recommended doing larger bump stops or airbags?
Cannot put airbags in with Quadralift.Check out the specs of the Bilstein 24-225427 ie length fully extended,fully compressed etc against std 2017 shock.Maybe the guy who has the Bilsteins fitted kept the old ones so as specs can be got.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
No one has found the little bit of extra length to be an issue so far. As to towing making a difference.. not likely to. The suspension is self-leveling and only 500# of your 5000# is actually adding suspension weight to the JGC. It should not have any problem with 500# while towing since you probably baby it far more over big bumps while pulling the trailer then you would be without the trailer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
No one has found the little bit of extra length to be an issue so far. As to towing making a difference.. not likely to. The suspension is self-leveling and only 500# of your 5000# is actually adding suspension weight to the JGC. It should not have any problem with 500# while towing since you probably baby it far more over big bumps while pulling the trailer then you would be without the trailer.
Gotcha! That was helpful! I have hit random ups and downs not quite bumps, at highway speed where it felt like the trailer was man handling the rear end for a moment. The random bump encounter as well is what would concern me. ... so longer bump stops would be unnecessary you believe?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Gotcha! That was helpful! I have hit random ups and downs not quite bumps, at highway speed where it felt like the trailer was man handling the rear end for a moment. The random bump encounter as well is what would concern me. ... so longer bump stops would be unnecessary you believe?
Right, IMO based on my experience and the lack of other people complaining here after putting on the Bilsteins I don't think it's a concern for normal driving. If I was running the Baja I might get more into what the factory clearance is and if that extra 3/8" of the Bilstien might be a problem when coming down after being airborne for 3 seconds.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
What are you guys that are using these in the rear using in the front?
If you have quadralift there are just about zero options for the front. There are replacement factory air struts of course. Reportedly there are a couple companies making some kind of rebuilt or aftermarket versions but I don't know what they use for the shock cartridge part. I've not seen anyone on here report actually installing any of the non-OEM ones. Both of my front struts were replaced by MaxCare warranty due to leaks in the air spring. The new ones were only a very tiny bit stiffer feeling then the old ones with 70K on them. Now that they have several thousand miles on them they don't feel any different really. There was also info posted showing different part numbers for the OEM ones as if their might be different (firmer) ones fitted on some vehicles, perhaps those for export? But no one actually knows why the different part numbers. Might just be different part numbers for V6 vs V8 or with and without trailer package.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you have quadralift there are just about zero options for the front. There are replacement factory air struts of course. Reportedly there are a couple companies making some kind of rebuilt or aftermarket versions but I don't know what they use for the shock cartridge part. I've not seen anyone on here report actually installing any of the non-OEM ones. Both of my front struts were replaced by MaxCare warranty due to leaks in the air spring. The new ones were only a very tiny bit stiffer feeling then the old ones with 70K on them. Now that they have several thousand miles on them they don't feel any different really. There was also info posted showing different part numbers for the OEM ones as if their might be different (firmer) ones fitted on some vehicles, perhaps those for export? But no one actually knows why the different part numbers. Might just be different part numbers for V6 vs V8 or with and without trailer package.
I read that too about different between v6 and v8. Just found these Suncore® - Front Air Complete Strut Assemblies

* edit I found them labeled as 16-17 when you click the link it says 11.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My mechanic buddy said if there’s 3/4” of additional travel I will have a issue in aero mode while towing. I’m essentially losing 3/4” of distance to the shock bottoming out. So I’m looking at just doing the OEM now have this problem, idk which ones are correct.

Dealership told me
68334577AA

On vehicle
68320338AA (Hitachi ??) Can’t find anywhere

Parts finder calls
68069675AD

idk

unless someone tows significantly with the Bilsteins for real world comparison. Idk how bad I want to risk causing a issue.
update: Got to chat a bit with a guy found through another site, Kolak Performance. Ended up ordering the 5100 Bilsteins.
Looking forward to getting these in and bolted on. I’ll report back. Maybe even start a new thread as some of these shock threads are all over the place.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Any update on the shocks? I may lower my GC and want a shock that will work and not bottom out or mess up the geometry too bad. I have the QL air suspension.
Idk if you were replying to me but I started a new thread Specific to my experience with the 5100s. Which are great. I can’t vouch for lowering.

81 - 100 of 112 Posts