Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear wiper only wipes at the beginning and end of the pass. So it leaves a triangle straight up from the base of the blade up wiped. A new wiper blade didn't help. I thought maybe the spring tension weakened and so paid $60 bucks for a replacement arm with spring. Didn't help. Is there an adjustment for the motor itself to provide more tension?

·
Lifer: Old Geezer
Overland
4,628 Posts
My rear wiper only wipes at the beginning and end of the pass. So it leaves a triangle straight up from the base of the blade up wiped. A new wiper blade didn't help. I thought maybe the spring tension weakened and so paid $60 bucks for a replacement arm with spring. Didn't help. Is there an adjustment for the motor itself to provide more tension?
The only thing I can think of is that the mount for the arm sticks out of the body just a bit too far causing this.
You'd almost have to have a working vehicle and a good ruler to tell...

Dealer any help?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only thing I can think of is that the mount for the arm sticks out of the body just a bit too far causing this.
You'd almost have to have a working vehicle and a good ruler to tell...

Dealer any help?
Wel, it used to work. Dealer didn't really know so thought id try the easy do it yourself option first. I didn't like spending $60 just to check but seemed like a good guess.

Might go back and pay for a service appt but hoped someone here might have a better guess or maybe have solvedMathis issue before.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Did you try cleaning the glass really really thoroughly?

·
Registered
2014 WK2 Overland
1,013 Posts
I've noticed a lot of the mounting stems have have been excessively rusty on the ones I've swapped out. I've seen a few with rust bad enough to push the arm out of alignment just a tad resulting in irregular wiping patterns. I'm not saying this is your issue, but I would remove the arm assembly and look at the seating surface on the stem just below the splines and make sure it's clean and rust free. Operate the motor with the arm off and take note of any wobble during operation. Another possibility would be loose mounting bolts for the motor. Lastly, i'd suspect the stem is bent. Have also seen this pretty regularly from folks snatching on the arm during blade changes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts