Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
We just completed a multi-week road trip with our 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee trail hawk that included substantial off road driving as well as major highway driving. The car performed like a dream throughout the entire trip. Met every challenge including rock piles, dirt pot holes, and safe travel on highways populated with insane 90 mph lane changing blind curve idiots. That said this car is now a much loved member of the family and we want to make sure it gets top quality treatment. What would you recommend for post-trip care and potential servicing to ensure that the vehicle stays in top condition? We maintain the current recommended service schedule. I'm just wondering if there is something more I should have looked at, checked out, or done just to make sure that a long, rough trip hasn't left us with a "silent" problem. I appreciate any input people would care to share. Thanks.

·
Registered
162 Posts
First and foremost!!!!!! Pressure wash..... And not the I'm not going to wet kind of wash..... Prepare to lay on the wet ground and crawl around to hit the springs, every bushing, and all the nooks, and crannies where the dirt hides..... And then it depends on the off roading you did???? If your in deep water??? Differential water???? Doesn't hurt, or cost a lot to change it???? Dusty roads???? Air cleaner??? Another cheap fix.... If you maintain your rig, it should be good to go..... It's the couple of "Not Normal" driving conditions to think about.... Wash it!!!!!!! Good Luck Brother......

·
Registered
187 Posts
First and foremost!!!!!! Pressure wash..... And not the I'm not going to wet kind of wash..... Prepare to lay on the wet ground and crawl around to hit the springs, every bushing, and all the nooks, and crannies where the dirt hides..... And then it depends on the off roading you did???? If your in deep water??? Differential water???? Doesn't hurt, or cost a lot to change it???? Dusty roads???? Air cleaner??? Another cheap fix.... If you maintain your rig, it should be good to go..... It's the couple of "Not Normal" driving conditions to think about.... Wash it!!!!!!! Good Luck Brother......
Thie pressure wash of every nook and cranny seems excessive. A simple wash, check fluids if concerned, call it a day.

These vehicles are not porcelain china...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. The rock solid task list clearly includes a basic check of oil and all other fluids and a good thorough wash - I'm adding an interior cleaning as well. I will definitely take a look underneath. Depending on what we "waded" through - a cleaning may well be justified and what the heck - I'll be pressure washing the patio anyway.....

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
If the off roading was in dusty areas, i'd also recommend the pressure washing thing.
Depending on the mileage on your TH maybe even an engine air filter replacement also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm...this is all good. I will add this to my "check this please" list when I take the car in for the oil and fluids check. Thanks!

·
Registered
162 Posts
That guy is absolutely right.... These vehicles aren't porcelain china..... Because porcelain china doesn't rust like these vehicles do..... And that's a statement from an idiot who princesses his around town.... Blast some water up, and around the backside of your bumper cover..... Watch the muddy water squirt out from your rear tail lights????? Mud equals rust... It eats your spring perches out.... Eats up rubber bushings..... And don't forget, you guys can't grease that shit..... So keep it clean..... Engine well.... You think all that dirt covering everything is good for the belts, and electrical connections..... I don't!!!!!! What an idiot........

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
224 Posts
Biggest culprit is any holes in the frame rails - if you have skid plates, dirt and crap gets on top of those as well. Dirt gets up in there and will trap moisture for extended lengths of times - this is where rust develops. Another spot is under any plastic molding (wheel arches/etc) and up behind the lip around the wheel on the fenders - you see so many vehicles with the fenders rusted due to this. Don't forget the inside of the front and rear fascias as well. It can take a long time to get the dirt out of these areas, never mind mud.

If in deep water, you may want to consider replacing the differential fluids (I am fair certain this is actually recommend).

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,428 Posts
I disagree with a pressure wash, at least my idea of a pressure wash. That's far too powerful a jet of water to be blasting up into the many electric connections and nooks and crannies. Just use a garden hose with a nozzle that gives a strong flow like you'd use to hose down a driveway. If you drove thru dirt piles and scraped them with the skid plates you may have a lot of dirt caked up there. When I pulled my skid plate to change my TC fluid I was amazed at the amount of dirt up there.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I disagree with a pressure wash, at least my idea of a pressure wash. That's far too powerful a jet of water to be blasting up into the many electric connections and nooks and crannies. Just use a garden hose with a nozzle that gives a strong flow like you'd use to hose down a driveway. If you drove thru dirt piles and scraped them with the skid plates you may have a lot of dirt caked up there. When I pulled my skid plate to change my TC fluid I was amazed at the amount of dirt up there.
I just do whatever AMMO NYC does

·
Registered
640 Posts
Although I sometimes use a pressure washer to clean under my GC, I use it with the attachment below. It dissipates the high pressure into 4 nozzles so there's not a super hard blast coming out of any nozzle. It can also be rotated over to clean the driveway afterwards. :)

Mine is a pavement princess that will never be driven off-road but I imagine this attachment would do a fairly good job of cleaning off mud and other debris.

ZALALOVA Pressure Washer Undercarriage Cleaner

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I just do whatever AMMO NYC does
Who the hell is AMMO NYC and why should we care?

After a good soaking mud bath with later hard dried caked up mud, only a pressure washer will suffice.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I use the Ryobi sprayer to clean the underside with my pressure washer. The Ammo NYC is a detailer site.

Reactions: moparado
1 - 18 of 18 Posts