Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of purchasing used 2012-2014 - Overland for the adjustable suspension.
problem is all I see are at 100k miles plus. What reliability or problems can I expect? What maintenance should be done at 100k? Such as timing belt, etc.? Thinking 5.7l 4x4

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
220 Posts
The adjustable suspension is one of the first things to typically experience issues and most costly. Other than that as long as a normal person was driving it the rest of the stuff should be normal wear and tear items. Really hard to say what goes bad as most motors/trans can probably go 200K these days. Google Grand Cherokee owners manual and you'll see what they recommend or call a dealer and ask. Also check out Carcomplaints.com to see what folks have reported.

·
Registered
159 Posts
V8 water pumps are weak sauce, mine went at 45K miles, really they can go anytime. air suspension is a 4K bill waiting to happen, personally, I wouldn't touch one with it with your money!

Otherwise mine has been OK since the warranty ran out (2 steering racks and a battery were the main warranty items). Dealers are a disgrace though

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,128 Posts
I would consider a MY15+. The benefits of the 8 speed are worth the extra money and you get any bugs worked out from the MY14 refresh. 15 still has the monostable shifter which some do not like, 16 will have a more traditional shifter. 3.6 has proven to be reliable in later years.

Quadralift is less reliable than steel sprung suspension. Not to say it's unreliable but there are a lot of components to possibly fail. I wouldn't own one without a warranty personally.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I passed 100K (102K currently) on my 2017. It has been excellent. No repairs except for a door hinge and headlight because of a crooked led. Maintenance so far: 10 oil changes, 2 cabin filters, 2 engine air filters, 1 tuneup. Next up is to check transfer case fluid at 120K then coolant flush/fill at 150K.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I would consider a MY15+. The benefits of the 8 speed are worth the extra money and you get any bugs worked out from the MY14 refresh. 15 still has the monostable shifter which some do not like, 16 will have a more traditional shifter. 3.6 has proven to be reliable in later years.

Quadralift is less reliable than steel sprung suspension. Not to say it's unreliable but there are a lot of components to possibly fail. I wouldn't own one without a warranty personally.
And there are a few ‘14’s (like mine) that have been trouble free since the day it arrived at the dealer and unloaded off of the carrier. :)

Definitely go for the 8 speed as it really enhances the driving experience and helps MPG’s (particularly in the HEMI). Totally agree that a warranty is a definite plus if equipped with the air suspension!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Friend is at 125k on her 2014 Limited 4x4 V6...and other than an engine top end valve swap at 98k due to burning oil, it's been perfect. That was an odd one, but warranty and quickly fixed.

Never any other issue, and somehow still original brakes and only the 2nd set of 20" Goodyear Fortera's...and original screen protector on the UConnect as well, ha. She drives 100's of miles a day, often, and never blinks. Bought new in fall of 2013.

Incredibly reliable and fault free. Coil suspension, etc. Tank. 8 speed is terrific. No rattles. No noises. Nothing...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Had a '14 from new and loved it but had quite a few issues in the first year of ownership. Saw a study that showed the '14 as having more issues than the '13 or '15. I sure read a lot about the cost of fixing the Quadralift, I'd personally be nervous about that.

·
Registered
Summit
45 Posts
Quadralift is reserved for all the high end vehicles because it's nice. An air hammer has a higher failure rate than a sledge. You are only reading the horror stories on these sites and not the millions of happy Quadralift owners. As for the extended warranty with all the fine print, I'll take my chances and keep that $3K in my pocket.

·
Registered
2015 HA White
322 Posts
Friend is at 125k on her 2014 Limited 4x4 V6...and other than an engine top end valve swap at 98k due to burning oil, it's been perfect. That was an odd one, but warranty and quickly fixed.

Never any other issue, and somehow still original brakes and only the 2nd set of 20" Goodyear Fortera's...and original screen protector on the UConnect as well, ha. She drives 100's of miles a day, often, and never blinks. Bought new in fall of 2013.

Incredibly reliable and fault free. Coil suspension, etc. Tank. 8 speed is terrific. No rattles. No noises. Nothing...

·
Registered
2015 HA White
322 Posts
My 2015 Overland High Altitude has had a tough year at 62,000 miles. Driver door hinge, a/c condenser, a/c pressure line. Hard starting and excessive cranking due to weak battery. Three trips to dealer before they figured it out. Then...Quadralift took a dump. Inept service department at two local dealers took three weeks to determine it was a $40 pressure relief valve. That’s after replacing suspension module, one ride height sensor, air compressor, compressor line. Fortunately I was covered by MaxCare but I won’t keep this beast beyond $75k miles when MaxCare runs out. I love the car but the service experience is murder. They really do suck. And... When you spend this much on a loaded up car, the care given should be better.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have a 2012 Overland HEMI that I bought new in November 2011. I’ve gotten 146,000 good miles out of it, so far. It’s our favorite road trip cruiser on our crappy northeast roads.

I’ve had zero issues with the air suspension, which I need because I tow a 3,000 pound boat on a regular basis. Plus, it soaks up anything you hit.

Problems:
I had the Chrysler cruise control switch on the steering wheel replaced under warranty at 35,000 miles.
The camshaft wore prematurely and was replaced under warranty at 84,000 miles.
The brake booster failed at 90,000 miles. I paid for it, but probably could have gotten reimbursed pursuant to a later recall.
The water pump failed at about 123,000 miles. I paid for it, but probably could have gotten reimbursed pursuant to a later recall.

I like the 2012 because of the flipper glass on the lift gate. I frequently put a kayak through it, instead of using a roof rack. Jeep decontented the car and eliminated the flipper glass in 2013 or 2014.

The 2014s and 2015s have a stupid detentless shifter. That’s the one that rolled back and killed the actor who played Chekhov in the Star Trek reboot. My father-in-law has a 2014 V6 8-speed and the shifter is the only thing he dislikes about it. The newer Jeeps went back to an old-school PRND shifter.

I really love my Jeep. The combination of air suspension, towing capacity, tight turning radius and near luxury interior for a reasonable cost nailed the sweet spot for me.

I plan to keep my Jeep to 250,000 miles and beyond. The only mod I’m currently planning is to add a new head unit with wireless Apple CarPlay. Crutchfield sells a kit that maintains the steering wheel control functions. I think the only negatives are that you can’t use the factory speakerphone microphone and have to mount a GPS receiver somewhere on the dash.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Quadralift is reserved for all the high end vehicles because it's nice. An air hammer has a higher failure rate than a sledge. You are only reading the horror stories on these sites and not the millions of happy Quadralift owners. As for the extended warranty with all the fine print, I'll take my chances and keep that $3K in my pocket.
Not commenting so much on the frequency of failure of the QL, but on how pricey repairs tend to be when it does fail.

·
Registered
Jeep GC Overland Smt
8 Posts
Thinking of purchasing used 2012-2014 - Overland for the adjustable suspension.
problem is all I see are at 100k miles plus. What reliability or problems can I expect? What maintenance should be done at 100k? Such as timing belt, etc.? Thinking 5.7l 4x4

·
Registered
Jeep GC Overland Smt
8 Posts
I have a 2012 GC Overland Summit V6 with 91K miles. Air suspension is working great still. I just did a lot PM on the car and when I replaced the idler and tensioner pulleys, the bearings were starting to go bad. Other than that, only normal maintenance repairs.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,128 Posts
Not commenting so much on the frequency of failure of the QL, but on how pricey repairs tend to be when it does fail.
Exactly. I've already had MaxCare pay for a radiator which covers 1/3 of the cost of MaxCare. If QuadraLift decides to take a dump I'm pretty much breaking even.

Granted without warranty I would have done the radiator myself for a few hundred but it was hassle free letting the dealer do it.

·
Registered
2015 HA White
322 Posts
MaxCare has been great for me. While I have loved my 2015 Overland High Altitude, Since about 60,000 miles I've had some pricey issues that have been fully covered by MaxCare. A/C, Air Suspension, Door Hinge, etc. My biggest problem is the dealership service department. It shouldn't take weeks and multiple visits to correctly diagnose and repair these problems. Then, three times being told that repairs are complete only to find after about 5 minutes that they didn't know how to test it as well as I do. This has been my experience at two local Jeep dealers. If I was on the hook for the price of these repairs, I suppose they would have been several thousand dollars. Since my MaxCare runs out at 75K miles, I will definitely get rid of my Jeep at that time. If I could upgrade to lifetime coverage I would be happy to keep it but I'm paranoid about what will happen the next time a component fails and the dealer charges me for their inept service department. Maybe it is just a South Florida problem, but I haven't had such wonderful service from two dealers. Then, just to rub salt in the wound, the service advisor kept pushing for a good survey response. I wish the advisor showed as much interest in how to improve the customer experience instead of how he comes out on the review and survey.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My 2012 WK2 has 84,000 miles, no Quadra Lift problems at all. I'm not worried. That being said, retail for all parts would run around $6000.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts