21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,155 Posts

·
Registered
JGC
73 Posts
Hoping eventually someone who has purchased the Strutmasters Air Conversion Kit will post their thoughts after having installed it and possibly include a tutorial of their install with pics. Will give most of us a great relief that have Maxcare warranties expiring before our QL's eventually fail. I really enjoy the QL, but if it fails, while I still own my JGC, and no longer covered by Maxcare, I will be looking at the Strutmasters or RRO alternatives vs. paying for the new QL components. Have almost 11 months left on the MC, so hopefully there will be good reviews on the alternatives by that time.

·
Registered
Summit
49 Posts
Hoping eventually someone who has purchased the Strutmasters Air Conversion Kit will post their thoughts after having installed it and possibly include a tutorial of their install with pics. Will give most of us a great relief that have Maxcare warranties expiring before our QL's eventually fail. I really enjoy the QL, but if it fails, while I still own my JGC, and no longer covered by Maxcare, I will be looking at the Strutmasters or RRO alternatives vs. paying for the new QL components. Have almost 11 months left on the MC, so hopefully there will be good reviews on the alternatives by that time.
I feel the same about my QL, love it but, if it were to fail when miles are high I would want to go low budget on the fix. I did find this rear install video that gives an idea of what is done during the conversion.

·
Registered
Jeep GC Overland Smt
8 Posts
I think it would be my first option if the QS failed and I would guess for most buyers it would up the resale value if they knew about the potential issues and cost to fix them.

·
Registered
Summit
49 Posts
My only concern would be about the ECU not seeing the proper info once the QL is removed. Others have said that there is a "service QL" display which I could live with but, I wonder if it would not allow certain 4wd selections. Hopefully those that have done this will clear this up. I did read elsewhere that people who have done the conversion say that the ride is fine and not much different than the QL ride.

·
Super Moderator
8,155 Posts
Hoping eventually someone who has purchased the Strutmasters Air Conversion Kit will post their thoughts after having installed it and possibly include a tutorial of their install with pics.
There are threads in the Suspension/Drivetrain/Wheels/Tires/ Brakes sub-forum up above that talk about QL replacement. Very few have attempted the Strutmaster and posted about it over the ten plus years this JJC platform has been in manufacture and the new Rocky Road kit is not possible to get right now because of parts being on backorder. You can roll your own kit...that's discussed in some of those threads, too. But you have to decide if that is practical or not...

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,674 Posts
Keep in mind, QL just replaces the coil springs with air bags.... ....yes QL is very complicated with lots of extra equipment to pump up/bleed down the air bags, but that is all in the body with just a disconnectable line that goes to the air bag..... ....but if you're going to remove the airbags, this stuff will no longer be needed, its up to you if you want to remove it...

The Shocks are different, rear likely just a different damp rate to match the QL since physically it doesn't appear any different, the front sock might be physically different to fit the air bag over it, so in addition to the springs, you need shocks....

Also the mounting hardware, about a half dozen smaller cheaper parts, is different between air bag and springs. Unless your vehicle is brand new, you should be replacing these parts with the shocks and springs anyway (they do affect the performance of the shocks)....

So do you need a kit? You can put your own kit together... ...there are benefits to a kit, convenience, the front struts might come pre-assembled, etc.... ....but if the kit is not available or costs too much, you could easily put together your own kit.....

Installation? Its a front and rear shocks change, throw in the rear springs to be changed at the same time....
Removal is standard QL Front and Rear Spring Removal.... .....there is a step to pump the nitrogen out of the air bags and store it in the reservoir, using commands from electronic tools, if you're never going to use the QL again, you could probably skip that...
Installation is standard Coil Spring Front and Rear Installation and rear shock swap....

·
Super Moderator
8,155 Posts
Rocky Road Outfitters sells a QL removal/lift kit using Old Man Emu parts that runs about $1,600.
It's not shipping because of parts availability with long lead times currently....

·
Registered
48 Posts
I bought a 2014 limited 4 x 4 with 37k miles on it, I've put about 10k on it in just under a year and have had no issues. I did buy and extended 3 year 36k bunper to bumper warranty specifically because the air suspension scares me. I figure if it fails after the warranty I'll replace it with the Rocky Road kit that lifts it 2" and eliminates the air ride, it's about $1800 vs the $4k the air would cost. I haven't heard of any problems with the air ride other than in extremely cold environments.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,674 Posts
Rocky Road Outfitters sells a QL removal/lift kit using Old Man Emu parts that runs about $1,600.
The Kit is shocks, springs, Upper Mounts and associated hardware (2 addition inexpensive pieces per assembly)....

Like Jim said, there's another thread were someone that ordered the kit got so frustrated with the delays he demanded a refund.....

Like I said, look at the list, you could put together your own kit....

But if you have a 2016 or later WK2, they changed the strut to have a tab on it to mount the endlinks for the swaybar, these are in short supply from the aftermarket....

·
Registered
Summit
49 Posts
But if you have a 2016 or later WK2, they changed the strut to have a tab on it to mount the endlinks for the swaybar, these are in short supply from the aftermarket....
This may be why Strut Masters only offers a kit to 2015. I questioned them about this and they never replied even though they seem to brag about their tech support....Mike.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,674 Posts
This may be why Strut Masters only offers a kit to 2015. I questioned them about this and they never replied even though they seem to brag about their tech support....Mike.
The other thread where the guy canceled his kit, I think it was for a 2016+, and I suspect that was the reasons for the repeated delays. They said they were waiting on the supplier for one of the parts and likely it is for the 2016+ front shock that the few that have offered it, they are back-ordered with long waits.... ....I might be remembering that wrong, so check the thread to confirm it if you need to know for sure.....

21 - 38 of 38 Posts