Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I can’t find it. I bought my daughter a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee and wanted to know if I can take the chrome side molding off and add black badges? I’ve had 2 dealerships tell me 2 different answers. Does the 11-14 have holes in the doors or help on with adhesive? Sorry I’m new here.

·
Super Moderator
8,796 Posts
The chrome body-side moldings on the MY11-13 JGC are attached by double sided tape. The badges are also attached by double sided tape. No problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If it's double sided tape, I have read other posts and it seems use finishing
G line to remove and then clean up remaining adhesive.

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,835 Posts
Yea or heat it up and pull off

·
Registered
15 Grand Cherokee
357 Posts
For removing badges and or emblems, as long as its only double sided tape i use heat, fishing line, 3m eraser wheel and or goo gone or citrol. Followed up by either a clay bar or polish since marring can happen during that process.

·
Registered
16 Posts
And I can’t find it. I bought my daughter a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee and wanted to know if I can take the chrome side molding off and add black badges? I’ve had 2 dealerships tell me 2 different answers. Does the 11-14 have holes in the doors or help on with adhesive? Sorry I’m new here.
just go on you tube there will be so many people posting what you are looking to do

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use a hair dryer to heat the area up and then snake dental floss between the badge and the body. You'll typically be left with glue residue afterwards which I usually use goo be gone on a rag and with a little elbow grease you can get it off. I found it helps to heat the residue up again with the hair dryer to help with removal. On a side note, seeing the car is 8 years old just be aware that the paint underneath the molding in brand new, never been exposed to sun, elements, etc... Depending on the condition of the rest of the paint, there is a chance there could be a slight difference in color.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ditto on Gregg's last statement. I had badges come off my car (several years old) and did my best to remove the adhesive. The ghost mark remained for about a year and a half.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts