Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, New here, I just replaced my #5 fuel injector on my 2008 Jeep JK. Now I'm getting Codes P0171 and P0174 and P0113 and the good old lighting bolt. I put one injector in, and then replaced all o-rings on others and new upper manifold gaskets. Idles high about 1100 rpms, no miss. I have checked for air leaks and can't find any. I did clean the throttle body and the sensor from the air filter to the throttle body. Nothing else was wrong before I started this but the bad injector. Any ideas?
Thanks

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Why did you replace the injectors? Because of a previous problem?
Just in case, hope you labeled each injector connector to know where which injector it goes to.

Those codes pertain to a too lean fuel:air fuel mixture as sensed by the IAT (Intake Air Temp. sensor).
First thing i'd do Instead of cleaning that sensor replace it and make sure its connector is plugged in, has no spread pins or faulty wiring.
The usual suspect of a high idle is a vacuum leak in the wrong area, air getting into places where it don't belong.
Might want to double check the injector installation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had #5 injector code showing up. Only replaced that one. I put new o rings and gaskets because I was getting the high idle, also thinking of an air leak. Manifold gaskets as well. I did get a new air temp sensor to install and will do that. I will check again for air leaks at the injectors and Manifold. Will let you know.
Thanks Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, I installed a new air temp sensor. Idle still high, about 1200rpm, get the red lighting bolt, engine stumbles and then runs like snot. I clear it and it keeps coming back . I cleaned the maf, nothing. I checked with carb cleaner all over, no air leaks or engine change around manifold and injectors. Stumped. All I did was change #5 fuel injector with aftermarket. Will that cause all this?. Runs fine when running then just starts throwing codes after about 10 miles. P0171 and P0174 and P0507 . Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Might be time to do a compression test if not already.
A sluggish or bad intake lifter,a ground down cam or bad rocker could cause this.
Not saying thats the problem but worth checking out.

The P0507 code does relate to a higher idle speed.
Double check for vacuum leaks especially around the intake manifold, IAC valve and throttle body,.
Also if this were my deal and no vacuum leaks apparent i'd pull the IAC and clean it or replace it.
How many miles on the O2 sensors?

By the way right or wrong i myself don't believe in cleaning MAP sensors.
A lot can go wrong cleaning it improperly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Might be time to do a compression test if not already.
A sluggish or bad intake lifter,a ground down cam or bad rocker could cause this.
Not saying thats the problem but worth checking out.

The P0507 code does relate to a higher idle speed.
Double check for vacuum leaks especially around the intake manifold, IAC valve and throttle body,.
Also if this were my deal and no vacuum leaks apparent i'd pull the IAC and clean it or replace it.
How many miles on the O2 sensors?

By the way right or wrong i myself don't believe in cleaning MAP sensors.
A lot can go wrong cleaning it improperly.
Sounds good, I will look into that today..Its just a head scratcher. Only had 1 problem, #5 injector bad. Replaced it and now all this is going on. O2 sensors are fairly new. I have sprayed carb cleaner all over the intake, fuel injectors, hoses etc and nothing. I have re torqued the manifold oh so gently. I also get the red lighting bolt that comes up after about 5 miles of driving. Could the throttle body go bad all of a sudden? I just hate throwing parts at it. I have put new upper manifold gaskets and also injector o rings are all new. Also the temp sensor from air cleaner AIC. Would a bad or not correct injector be doing this? Its not a mopar injector but one from rock auto. That's the only thing that has changed. When I clear the codes it runs fine, just high idle and then it will throw the lighting bolt, shake and then those other codes.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
The red lightning bolt per my '18 Owner's Manual is caused by by an electronic accelerator malfunction which 'could' be causing the high idle.
Don't know if this applies to a 2008 JK though. Might check your Owner's Manual.

Its not clear, did replacing the injector fix the #5 misfire CEL?
But now you're getting the lightning bolt light and high idle?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The red lightning bolt per my '18 Owner's Manual is caused by by an electronic accelerator malfunction which 'could' be causing the high idle.
Don't know if this applies to a 2008 JK though. Might check your Owner's Manual.

Its not clear, did replacing the injector fix the #5 misfire CEL?
But now you're getting the lightning bolt light and high idle?
Yes, the code for #5 is clear, now getting the lighting bolt and the other 3 codes.
So on the 2008 the electronic accelerator and throttle body are 1 piece. When I took it off to clean it, it was very dirty on the back side, but working until I put the new injector in. I cleaned it the 3rd time I took everything apart trying to find an air leak and making sure everything was put together right.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
To eliminate once and for all an air or vacuum leak you might have to do the old smoke test.
Plenty of Utube vids on how to.

If the no. 5 misfire is fixed have you replaced the IAT?
What about the TPS and IAC valve, have you eliminated them?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To eliminate once and for all an air or vacuum leak you might have to do the old smoke test.
Plenty of Utube vids on how to.

If the no. 5 misfire is fixed have you replaced the IAT?
What about the TPS and IAC valve, have you eliminated them?
Ya, I did replace the IAC, but not the IAT or the TPS. I hate just throwing parts at it to see what sticks. From what Ive read and checked with, the high idle comes back to an air leak for banks 1 and 2. The lighting bolt from the TPS....I seen lots of u tube videos on kinda what to look for. I'm gonna take it apart again today. If I can't figure it out, just may take it in so someone can put it on a machine and narrow down the problem and fix from there. Its really driving me nuts. Just can't wrap my head around replacing 1 fuel injector.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
This must be frustrating and a half.
Keep us updated on what you hopefully find.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well the problem got fixed. I took the Jeep to a local mechanic that did a smoke test on it. Come to find out, the lower connection on the EGR tube was not flush. So it was sucking air. I had gotten 1 bolt cross threaded so it was not seating. Also, one of the hard vent tubes on top had a crack in it. That was it. Everything else was fine. Runs great, no codes and no lighting bolt. Amazing how just one thing can cause so many other issues. Thanks for all your help and support. My wife was ready to kill me...Now I know not to remove that lower part of the tube, just bend the upper part out of the way....Have a great weekend...
Mike

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Well alright!(y)
Good 'ol smoke test found the leak.
Thanks for the update.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts