Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

381 - 400 of 449 Posts

·
Registered
2014 WK2 Limited
108 Posts
Just because you had one speaker go bad that would be under warranty you gave up on it? This is very typical with car audio stuff. The problem with the Polk is it sounds noticeably worst than the infinity with our factory amp. I know because I ran them both for a long time. I would take 10 blown infinity centers needing replacement vs settling on the Polk.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

"I may have misread your model number I have the 3022cfx not the 3002cfx (last years model)"

You said that a few posts ago buddy, with the infinity 3002, that I had, that we are talking about, music wasn't bad with every song, but once it blew I couldn't even have a decent phone call. So I just returned the set to get a full refund instead of worrying about the second doing the same. And i found someone selling a single Polk. That's why I stayed with the Polk.

·
Registered
2014 GC/Overland V8
3,279 Posts
What was the complaint from another user about the dash speaker. What are the front and rear door speakers from infinity that will compliment the front dash speaker without using an amp and will give that great sound upgrade?

·
Registered
Overland
123 Posts
What was the complaint from another user about the dash speaker. What are the front and rear door speakers from infinity that will compliment the front dash speaker without using an amp and will give that great sound upgrade?
Infinity Kappa's would be the ticket. Keeps the 2 ohm impedance. Would recommend 6.5 round components over the 6X9 coaxials personally.

·
Registered
SRT
774 Posts
I bought an SRT and still have 2 new Polk audio db351 dash speakers leftover with harnesses to plug/play if anyone still needs to replace theirs. Just PM me. $35 shipped in US. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
Altitude
2,737 Posts
I bought an SRT and still have 2 new Polk audio db351 dash speakers leftover with harnesses to plug/play if anyone still needs to replace theirs. Just PM me. $35 shipped in US. :thumbsup:

I would put these in the for sale forum.

·
Registered
1 Posts
With all this conversation, I'm surprised nobody has brought up the restrictions of the mounting location.

The hole is rather shallow, affording not much more than a 1 1/2" deep speaker. There are vertical plastic reinforcements that restrict the magnet diameter to approximately 2 3/8". Finally, the mounting surface touches about half the speaker, with the other half left open air.

The Infinity REF-3022cfx has a depth of 1 7/16" but a magnet diameter of nearly 2 9/16". It might look flush at first glance, but it is elevated approximately 3/16" above the mounting surface. I intend to trim the plastic back to accommodate the magnet and, in turn, allow the speaker to drop in fully. Once flat, I will brainstorm ideas on filling the void so it isn't free air.

Has anybody attempted this?

So far, installing only this Infinity dash speaker has shifted the front stage far forward.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Do NOT use 6.5's up front you will lose all bass response and it will sound terrible

And how do you know this? There is an 8" sub in the back where most of the bass comes from. I just ordered the Infinity Kappas for the front (6.5" component) and rear speakers (6.5" coaxial), and the Reference 3.5" for the center dash (due to being drastically cheaper and probably not being noticeably different). Sure, there's less woofer area... but the Kappas are superior to the Reference series, and even with the 6.5" having a smaller woofer area than the 6x9, I'm sure it will output plenty of bass. I pretty much HAD to go with this, because the 6x9 Kappa is only offered in a coaxial 3-way. In fact, the listed frequency response of the 6x9 9620cx Reference is 46Hz-21000Hz... the 6.5" Kappa is 45Hz-35000Hz... even the $550 Perfect component 6x9 series only does 40Hz-30000Hz.

I'll be installing tomorrow when it all gets here. I hate the Alpine system's lack of brightness. It's terrible. I have treble at +9 and the highs are still missing. Putting my ear on the tweeters and they are almost silent. The HK system is excellent and I loved it in my '14 SRT GC. Unfortunately it's not as great in my '16 SRT Charger due to speaker placement making for a lack of sound stage, but still pretty great in terms of sound quality. I'm hoping the Kappa upgrade in my '11 Limited will bring back the sound I loved so much in the SRT.

·
Registered
767 Posts
We know that 6.5's suck up front because people have tried it.

That's a terrible decision on this car. The sub in the back does not produce the majority of the bass.

Stick with 6x9's up front they sound so much better in this vehicle. Everyone reports losing all bass switching to 6.5's. Not a good move. You would have been better off just going with infinity reference in the correct sizes.

·
Registered
394 Posts

That's a terrible decision on this car. The sub in the back does not produce the majority of the bass.

Stick with 6x9's up front they sound so much better in this vehicle. Everyone reports losing all bass switching to 6.5's. Not a good move. You would have been better off just going with infinity reference in the correct sizes.
I tried searching around and just couldn't find much in the way of people trying a 6.5" up front. If you could point me to those posts or tell me what to type in the search box ("6.5 speaker front" sounds the most relevant, but yields zero results), I'd appreciate it.

Either way, my order has shipped. If it doesn't work well, I can return it for free. I also just ordered the 8" drop in Pioneer sub, so the bass will get a boost there. The 6x9's in my '16 SRT Charger put out pretty terrible bass, but the bass is fine overall due to the sub in the rear. I doubt these 6.5's could be much worse than those speakers.

EDIT: Here is someone who used these exact 6.5's up front and was pleased with the results: http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/very-happy-with-sound-improvement-just-replacing-speakers-only-61329.html... and another http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/help-me-pick-out-some-6-5-speakers-94087.html#post1257265... and another http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/6x9-or-6-5-a-70045.html#post955747

·
Registered
767 Posts

I tried searching around and just couldn't find much in the way of people trying a 6.5" up front. If you could point me to those posts or tell me what to type in the search box ("6.5 speaker front" sounds the most relevant, but yields zero results), I'd appreciate it.

Either way, my order has shipped. If it doesn't work well, I can return it for free. I also just ordered the 8" drop in Pioneer sub, so the bass will get a boost there. The 6x9's in my '16 SRT Charger put out pretty terrible bass, but the bass is fine overall due to the sub in the rear. I doubt these 6.5's could be much worse than those speakers.

EDIT: Here is someone who used these exact 6.5's up front and was pleased with the results: http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/very-happy-with-sound-improvement-just-replacing-speakers-only-61329.html... and another http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/help-me-pick-out-some-6-5-speakers-n94087.html#post1257265... and another http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/6x9-or-6-5-a-70045.html#post955747
Dude you are making terrible Decisions left and right. GET 6x9's don't even waste your time installing the 6.5's in there. Trust me you will be missing out on ALL of your low end.

Also don't put the pioneer sub in you will actually lose bass with that too! Seriously man you need to do some more research your gonna be really disappointed with the stuff you picked out.

Infinity reference 6x9 comps up front,
Infinity reference 6.5 coax in the rear (with tweeter boost off and tweeters pointed toward the floor)
Infinity reference 3.5" coax center channel

And be done with it, trust me...

·
Registered
Altitude
2,737 Posts
Keep in mind, higher wattage speakers doesn't always mean they are better. I would pay more attention to the ohm rating and sensitivity rating.

The stock alpine amp is on the lower side of the power scale and I feel the reference series would be your best bet.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Dude you are making terrible Decisions left and right. GET 6x9's don't even waste your time installing the 6.5's in there. Trust me you will be missing out on ALL of your low end.

Also don't put the pioneer sub in you will actually lose bass with that too! Seriously man you need to do some more research your gonna be really disappointed with the stuff you picked out.

Infinity reference 6x9 comps up front,
Infinity reference 6.5 coax in the rear (with tweeter boost off and tweeters pointed toward the floor)
Infinity reference 3.5" coax center channel

And be done with it, trust me...
And how do you know that the Pioneer is worse? Because every time it has been brought up on the forum, it was stated to be better. It has incredible reviews around the internet. Is it going to blow the doors off? No, but that's not what I'm looking for either. And you have not given yourself ANY credibility with what you're saying! In your posts prior to your install, you clearly stated this was all new to you. What qualifies you as an expert to sit here and tell me everything I'm doing is so wrong when I have given plenty of examples where people have said the opposite?

Keep in mind, higher wattage speakers doesn't always mean they are better. I would pay more attention to the ohm rating and sensitivity rating.

The stock alpine amp is on the lower side of the power scale and I feel the reference series would be your best bet.

The Kappas are built better than the Reference series all around, are still 2 ohm, and just as if not more efficient! Yes, they CAN accept more power, but that doesn't mean they're going to draw more power... back to efficiency here. It just means I could push them harder if I wanted to, but I have no desire to ever exceed 90 dB which is certainly not going to overdrive the stock amp.

381 - 400 of 449 Posts