Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be replacing my rear shocks myself within a few days, and I do not have a socket/wrench big enough for the bottom shock bolt. Does anyone know what size of bolt/nut that is???

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update.....The bottom shock bolt is in fact a 21mm.

I'll be replacing them early this week....Has anyone here replaced the rear shocks themselves? I don't expect it to be a very challenging job but does anyone have any hints, tips, or advice? You don't have to remove anything other than the bottom shock bolt, and the two bolts up top do you?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Update.....The bottom shock bolt is in fact a 21mm.

I'll be replacing them early this week....Has anyone here replaced the rear shocks themselves? I don't expect it to be a very challenging job but does anyone have any hints, tips, or advice? You don't have to remove anything other than the bottom shock bolt, and the two bolts up top do you?
Do you have the tow package (Nivomat shocks), or standard shocks? If you have standard shocks, when you get the shocks out, you have to transfer the upper onto the new shock. You will need a special tool to do this, or fabricate your own. Other than that, there are 2 bolts on top (48 ft/lbs) and 1 bolt/nut on the bottom (173 ft/lbs). You will also need about 12-18 inches of extensions to reach the bolts on top. Good luck.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I replaced my rear nivomats and it was a very easy job. To transfer the nivomat shock mounts to the new shocks I bought Lisle tool 20400. That way you can hold the shock shaft and loosen the top nut.

Also, make sure your jack can get the jeep high enough to get a jack stand under there. After working on lowered cars for lots of years, getting a vehicle with lots of suspension travel was not something I was used to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts