Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this 2018 GC Limited Sterling edition about 3 months ago, I bought extended warranty on it but I keep seeing the message "stop/start not ready, battery charging" it's been that way for about 3 weeks now. I'm thinking the battery is fried. Anyone know if I can just do a basic aux battery swap without worrying about the ECU and all that? If so...what battery will I need? I know there's a couple different types.

·
Registered
87 Posts
From what I have read the start stop battery is a minor procedure, (its in the footwell of the passenger seat accessed in the rear seat area. Annoying that it is where it is, to be honest, but if you have the right socket and an extension the swap is pretty straightforward and does not mess with anything.........another option is to just remove the little sensor lead from the terminal.......it in turn deactivates the start stop and makes replacement moot. You will be left with a rig that does not turn off randomly but you will get a stop start idiot light always on the dashboard...........I have not done this but have read the notes and seen some videos on it........

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude
24 Posts
Mine did the exact same thing, always charging. I brought into the dealership for warranty service/diagnosis several weeks ago and they determined that both my batteries were good but were undercharged. They charged them both and the auto stop/start has been working great since. Hopefully it remains that way.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine did the exact same thing, always charging. I brought into the dealership for warranty service/diagnosis several weeks ago and they determined that both my batteries were good but were undercharged. They charged them both and the auto stop/start has been working great since. Hopefully it remains that way.
Could there have been something wrong with the charging system itself? Maybe that's my issue, I just won't know until I bring it in (something I'd like to avoid)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Could there have been something wrong with the charging system itself? Maybe that's my issue, I just won't know until I bring it in (something I'd like to avoid)
They asked if I drive much for the alternator to do its job, but I don't. I just commute to work here and there 15 min each direction and run errands on the weekend... so I guess that isn't much for such an electronics infused vehicle in their opinion.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They asked if I drive much for the alternator to do its job, but I don't. I just commute to work here and there 15 min each direction and run errands on the weekend... so I guess that isn't much for such an electronics infused vehicle in their opinion.
I would think with today's technology that 15 minutes one way would be just enough but guess not. Now in my case...driving 30 minutes one way should definitely be enough but again...there's really no way to tell on my own if it's just the battery or the charging system that's fried. O'Reillys has a new Aux battery for $112 that I might buy and install myself...I did out the math too..
Two years of driving with stop/start working will more than pay for the the cost of the battery at that price.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would think with today's technology that 15 minutes one way would be just enough but guess not. Now in my case...driving 30 minutes one way should definitely be enough but again...there's really no way to tell on my own if it's just the battery or the charging system that's fried. O'Reillys has a new Aux battery for $112 that I might buy and install myself...I did out the math too..
Two years of driving with stop/start working will more than pay for the the cost of the battery at that price.
I don't know what it is, but I like the auto start/stop contrary to most - thus why I had it looked into to get it fixed. Let us know if you replace that aux battery and if it helped solve the issue. May even want to buy a battery tender to charge the batteries (inexpensive) and see if that helps first. Will probably take a day or two to charge/desulfate the battery. I bought one years ago for my other vehicle that I never use to keep the battery maintained. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07895SGSZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know what it is, but I like the auto start/stop contrary to most - thus why I had it looked into to get it fixed. Let us know if you replace that aux battery and if it helped solve the issue. May even want to buy a battery tender to charge the batteries (inexpensive) and see if that helps first. Will probably take a day or two to charge/desulfate the battery. I bought one years ago for my other vehicle that I never use to keep the battery maintained. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07895SGSZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
I like the start/stop too. That's not a bad idea. Does it plug into a wall outlet? I might consider getting a small solar one to keep in the GC, idk. But at $112 for the battery I might just buy it since that's not an unreasonable amount I don't think compared to others

·
Registered
939 Posts
I have the CTEK tenders on all my vehicles. It’s very convenient on the GC with the remote terminals under the hood allowing the pigtail to just poke out of the windshield cowl gap behind the closed hood.

Reactions: PowerJRod

·
Registered
24 Posts
I like the start/stop too. That's not a bad idea. Does it plug into a wall outlet? I might consider getting a small solar one to keep in the GC, idk. But at $112 for the battery I might just buy it since that's not an unreasonable amount I don't think compared to others
Ya, you plug into a wall outlet - pretty nifty.

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 3.6L 4x2
1,807 Posts
I keep all our vehicles in the garage on Battery Tenders. I also raise the hoods after a run, to remove the underhood heat.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I keep all our vehicles in the garage on Battery Tenders. I also raise the hoods after a run, to remove the underhood heat.
I always considered doing that too, but here in summers of Las Vegas it wouldn't do much lol.

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 3.6L 4x2
1,807 Posts
I live in Texas!!!
The temp/heat held under the hood is way more than the temp on our garage😉

Reactions: PowerJRod
1 - 13 of 13 Posts