Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got some Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires installed on my wife's Jeep and I wanted to make sure to get an alignment so the tires wear properly since they were so expensive. I brought it to the shop and they put it up in the air and said the upper and lower ball joints were worn and wouldn't do the alignment unless those got replaced. They gave me a quote of only $400 for labor but the parts were really expensive but told me I could bring in my own parts if I wanted. After talking with my wife and since I'm an enthusiast and don't mind working on our cars we decided I should do the work. They did say the tie rods seemed fine though.

I'm looking at replacing pretty much the entire front suspension and a bunch of the rear suspension. I'm looking for suggestions from people on parts or if the things I selected will work fine. I know the lower clevis bolt is a known problem and I should plan for a bunch of extra time to get that out and start spraying it down with PB blaster and having two spares on hand. Yeah, I like the Moog parts but I'm open to suggestions if there are better things. This is a daily driver that ends up hauling stuff around, no towing, no offroad just highway and in town driving.

Front suspension:
Replacing the upper control arm with a Moog CK620188. I've looked at the JBA ones but those are not budget friendly and I don't need something that stout.
Replacing the entire front strut assembly with Moog strut mounts K160050, Moog 80910 springs, Bilstein B6 4600 (24-186797) struts, and Moog lower isolator K160058. (Any parts that I'd be missing? Will I need the strut bumper *K201424?)
Moog outer tie rods, I want to do the inner tie rods but I can't find a video with the tool that I'll need for that metal clip but if I can, Moog Inner tie rods.
Moog Lower control Arms - RK621374/RK621375 - These are non-greaseable so I'm not sure if I want to buy these or buy the lower ball joint and other bushings and try to press them in or just replace the lower ball joint down the road with a greaseable one when this one fails.
Moog Stabilizer Bar Link - K80861
Moog Stabilizer Bar Bushing Kit - K200159

Rear:
Moog Stabilizer Bar Link - K80468
Moog Stabilizer Bar Bushing Kit - K201557
Moog Suspension Control Arm - RK641794
Moog 80919 springs
Moog Coil spring insulator - K160059
Bilstein B6 4600 (24-186803) shocks

The only thing not getting replaced would be the two upper control arms on the rear as that requires dropping the gas tank and I don't believe I have the tools for that.

I basically want to refresh the suspension. I figure I can do this for close to the same amount that the shop wanted for parts and labor. Since we only have the basic maintenance costs on this Jeep and we plan to keep it until it literally dies or rusts out I want to use quality components. I live in WI so rust is a problem but the body is pretty much rust free. This is what it looks like with the new Falkens just put on. I appreciate any input or suggestions!

Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive side marker light Tire Car

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I reded mhy entire suspension, and it makes all the difference. Just stay away from Moog R series products, they are cheap chinese made crap. The Moog problem solver arms with greasable ball joints are the good ones. Also stay away from those Bilstien shocks, I cannot stress this any further, as they will make the ride horrible and are also not very good handling.. I had them for 6 months and could not stand the rough bouncy ride, and the white knuckle syndrome when hitting bumps mid corner. Koni's are much better handling, OEM shocks are far superior to Bilsteins for smooth ride quality, but they do wear out more quickly.

Reactions: moparado

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
^ I'll 2nd the Moog parts.
Moog parts in the past have been the solid go to for suspension part replacements but these days Moog parts are hit and miss.....especially critical parts like ball joints.
I'd recommend XRF suspension parts instead.
And for any type of wheel bearing replacements i'd recommend Timken bearings.

I also agree with dmsfun regarding the Bilsteins. They're overly expensive and unnecessary for a wife's DD.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting, I re-did the entire front suspension on my winter beater (a 99 Mercury Grand Marquis) two years ago with Moog parts and everything seems to be working fine. Doesn't mean they will last long term but I hope they do. I don't mind straying away from Moog stuff but they are the most popular brand that I know of. I can't find a ton of the upper control arm bushings that would be a worthy upgrade, that's why I was looking at the Moog Problem Solver UCA as a direct replacement. Not to mention, a UCA swap will be significantly less time consuming.

I also posted this other places and I did get a recommendation for Proforged stuff too. They seem pretty reasonably priced and they are a Holley sub company so I'm thinking they should be good. They have a million mile warranty too. Thoughts?

It's also the first time I've heard complaints about the Bilsteins outside of the 5100 series corroded exteriors from the salt in the winter. I don't have a problem staying OEM, they are similarly priced if I buy them online. I figured I should order some upgraded ones to last longer and since we toss a lot of weight in the back when we're getting yard supplies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts