Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I have a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Sunmit. Just replaced battery for first time and now the key fob starts the car but does not lock/unlock doors. How do I reprogram them. The info I have read tells me to put key in ignition but hmm how do I do that? Also now battery has been replaced I can’t get rid of the acquiring signal Sirius xm even though I’ve done a soft reset. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,687 Posts
The Sirius XM, you need a activation signal sent to the radio.... ...how long has it been off? Cause usually it will re-activate in a few hours to a few days at most on its own.... ....you can call Sirius XM or log into your Sirius XM account through the internet and just press a button to have a refresh signal sent to your radio....

Key Fob, the info you have, is it the Owner's Manual (O.M.)? If not, I would check and see if it's described in the O.M.

The key fob is 2 or 3 separate devices in one. The part that starts the vehicle is just an RFID chip that communicates with the vehicle to identify it as valid key for the vehicle to start. That RFID chip doesn't need battery power, the vehicle can energize the chip if its close enough to the antenna for the ship to work and communicate with the vehicle. A separate device in the FOB is a transmitter that boost the signal from the RFID chip, that allows the key to stay in your pocket or purse and not have to hold it up against the antenna to energize the RFID chip. And another separate device that do all the remote door unlocking, etc...

Usually when you change the battery, this still works, at least after you start the car, it will resync the remote function....

As far as inserting the key to resynch it....
The earlier Key Fob, the FOBIK,

You could remove the push button and stick the block end into the socket left behind from the removed push button.... ...you twist it to start the vehicle... ....if your key fob battery went dead, you could open the door with the metal inert key, get in, and since the transmitter in the fob is dead also, you'd pull the push button and insert the block end into the socket and twist it... ...this puts the RFID chip close enough to the antenna, that the antenna can energize the RFID chip, so it can start the car without battery power in the key....

I suspect you have the later Key Fob, not called the FOBIK,

In these later models, the push button does not come out, nor is there a block to insert the key and twist... ...but it still works off an RFID chip that is self energizing if you put it close enough to the antenna... ....so for this version of the key fob, to start your car if the key fob battery is dead, you push the butt end of the fob up against the push button and push in the push button with the fob... ...this is the equivalent of the inserting the old FOBIK and twisting it.... ...so I'd give that a try.... ...if it doesn't work, I'd start suspecting something went wrong with your Key Fob....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Sirius XM, you need a activation signal sent to the radio.... ...how long has it been off? Cause usually it will re-activate in a few hours to a few days at most on its own.... ....you can call Sirius XM or log into your Sirius XM account through the internet and just press a button to have a refresh signal sent to your radio....

Key Fob, the info you have, is it the Owner's Manual (O.M.)? If not, I would check and see if it's described in the O.M.

The key fob is 2 or 3 separate devices in one. The part that starts the vehicle is just an RFID chip that communicates with the vehicle to identify it as valid key for the vehicle to start. That RFID chip doesn't need battery power, the vehicle can energize the chip if its close enough to the antenna for the ship to work and communicate with the vehicle. A separate device in the FOB is a transmitter that boost the signal from the RFID chip, that allows the key to stay in your pocket or purse and not have to hold it up against the antenna to energize the RFID chip. And another separate device that do all the remote door unlocking, etc...

Usually when you change the battery, this still works, at least after you start the car, it will resync the remote function....

As far as inserting the key to resynch it....
The earlier Key Fob, the FOBIK,

You could remove the push button and stick the block end into the socket left behind from the removed push button.... ...you twist it to start the vehicle... ....if your key fob battery went dead, you could open the door with the metal inert key, get in, and since the transmitter in the fob is dead also, you'd pull the push button and insert the block end into the socket and twist it... ...this puts the RFID chip close enough to the antenna, that the antenna can energize the RFID chip, so it can start the car without battery power in the key....

I suspect you have the later Key Fob, not called the FOBIK,

In these later models, the push button does not come out, nor is there a block to insert the key and twist... ...but it still works off an RFID chip that is self energizing if you put it close enough to the antenna... ....so for this version of the key fob, to start your car if the key fob battery is dead, you push the butt end of the fob up against the push button and push in the push button with the fob... ...this is the equivalent of the inserting the old FOBIK and twisting it.... ...so I'd give that a try.... ...if it doesn't work, I'd start suspecting something went wrong with your Key Fob....
Thanks so much. Yes worked like a charm to start car yes I have later model fobik. Still working on Sirrius still acquiring signal but that’s probably b/c I am in Barbados now

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,687 Posts
Thanks so much. Yes worked like a charm to start car yes I have later model fobik. Still working on Sirrius still acquiring signal but that’s probably b/c I am in Barbados now
Hmmm, I'd think it would still work in Barbados, check with Sirius XM if they have some sort of geolocation restriction....
Its pretty common for the antenna to fail and need to be replaced.... ....does GPS and AM/FM radio reception work like normal also?

And finally, my 2011 had the Sirius XM receiver burn out, just after I bought a year subscription to the service..... ...but they switched to whole new generation of radio/entertainment system in 2014, so it might not be a common problem on the new systems..... ...it started with "acquiring signal" message for a few minutes when first turning it on, then went to "acquiring signal" message whenever it was damp out or raining, to come back after after thing dried out...... ...then it work fine in all conditions, until the radio got warm, and it would go "acquiring signal" constantly till the radio was turned off and allowed to cool back to room temperature.... ...I replaced the antenna, no change (although this did the trick for a lot of people who got it working perfectly again)... ....I finally took the radio apart and cleaned everything with electrical cleaner, it worked perfectly for 5 minutes and then went to "acquiring signal" again constantly...

And yes, while this was going on, I had multiple reset signals sent to my radio from Sirius XM, and it did nothing.....

I replaced it with an aftermarket radio..............

1 - 5 of 5 Posts