Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2006 &2018 gc
64 Posts
I am not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV but i think what the inspectors get you on is the fact the "lamps" are originally tested and certified as complete assemblies (base/reflector, lens and bulb) - If the bulb is replaced with anything other than the original type, the assembly is no longer certified - I know Philips for one has been working on getting some auto light assemblies re-certified using their LED replacement bulbs but so far only a handful of makes/models have received the blessing of the auto Gods

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,965 Posts
Wow that’s weird considering some cars come with factory LED reverse lights...
You also fail state inspections for window tint, despite cars coming from the factory with window tint, some of it pretty dark.

The difference, factory LED lights and windows Tint are DOT certified. Aftermarket add-ons often are not.

Lots of LED's don't cast light nearly like the DOT certified incandescent bulb, and then reflecting that odd pattern with the lamp fixture designed for the incandescent bulb can make it even worse.

And also a biggy for state laws, DOT certification also assures the bulbs are NOT too bright and the light is projected in the proper pattern to assure it doesn't blind other motorist on the road.

Seen lots of jerks on the road with aftermarket lights that clearly are NOT DOT legal and blinding others on the road. So I think that is the reason State Inspections mandate you fail if you're not using DOT certified bulbs for your car.

·
Vendor
553 Posts
I'm perfectly happy with the very bright BU LEDs from DeautoLED who is also a forum sponsor.
I'm also happily satisfied with the complete reverse light kit from deAutoKey. If you ask nicely, deAutoKey may give you a better forum discount.

Complete Reverse LED Kit for the Jeep including including SRT, overland, Laredo, limited | deAutoKey
Another vote for deAuto. Put them in our Outback too.
Thanks everyone, we appreciate the kind words, these are bright and you will be seen when reversing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sJBCG7ed-I

listing:
Complete Reverse LED Kit for the Jeep including including SRT, overland, Laredo, limited | deAutoKey

·
Vendor
553 Posts
Yeah, but $100 for reverse lights? Its only 4 lights..$25 a light? no way.
It is $94.99 for 4 of the brightest LEDs on market vs many competitors - and it is less money vs similar ones.

It is $84.50 with 10% off = $21.38 a bulb - a lot less than some other brands mentioned.

And from photos/videos/feedback everyone has agreed that these are some of the best they seen.

They are actually one of our most popular seller because many want the brightest bulbs possible.

Thank you
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
240 Posts
It is $94.99 for 4 of the brightest LEDs on market vs many competitors - and it is less money vs similar ones.

It is $84.50 with 10% off = $21.38 a bulb - a lot less than some other brands mentioned.

And from photos/videos/feedback everyone has agreed that these are some of the best they seen.

They are actually one of our most popular seller because many want the brightest bulbs possible.

Thank you
Is the interior kit on sale as well?

·
Registered
cattle
1,311 Posts

·
Vendor
553 Posts
Is the interior kit on sale as well?
Yes they are all on sale as they want to prove our LEDs.

20% OFF ALL LEDS HERE -USE CODE "JEEPREV20"
Shop by Car Model - Jeep :: (All Years + Trims) | deAutoLED

I agree. There are zillions of options for them on Amazon and elsewhere. Check out the feedback, look at the specs and you'll probably be pretty happy for about $15. I think these were the ones I used. Very bright, nice white light.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LX4FMD1/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That is fine if you do not want to spend the money for a more premium bulb but those are not brighter.

Our kit includes all models 7440/921 - 4 total bulbs.

We appreciate the support and people who trust our LEDs.

Lets get something here done to make this more tempting:

20% OFF ALL LEDS HERE -USE CODE "JEEPREV20"
Shop by Car Model - Jeep :: (All Years + Trims) | deAutoLED

Special discount only for a limited time.

Thanks for the support.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I wish DeAutoLED would stop posting these long and repetitive posts. If you search around here you will find many posts (mine included) with very cheap alternatives. I spent around $20 on Amazon reverse lights and they are still perfect.

If you really believe that their $94 bulbs are any better than the eBay/amazon bulbs, I have some volcano insurance to sell you!

·
Registered
89 Posts
OHHHH, they are a forum sponsor lol. It makes sense now. I always wondered how they got free reign to post all the time. Carry on

·
Vendor
553 Posts
DMVJeep - buy what you like but we know what we offer and the real feedback and happy customers that tried ours vs cheaper LEDs.

To everyone that used the 20% code - please keep the orders coming and don't forget to leave feedback here!

We appreciate the support and understand we are here paying to be a vendor to share our product because we care what you install in your car and while others can drop and go with no customer service or care if you like what you install we are here to guarantee our product.

Thank you

·
Registered
Overland
38 Posts
What is the install difficulty here? Gotta tear out the interior? Take an hour or two? I am really interested in a one time install and much brighter reverse lights.

Thanks!

·
Registered
cattle
1,311 Posts
What is the install difficulty here? Gotta tear out the interior? Take an hour or two? I am really interested in a one time install and much brighter reverse lights.

Thanks!
The outer light assemblies are easily removed, pop a couple plastic rivets (carefully, you reuse them), and then pull the whole assembly out. For the inner assembly that's in the liftgate the easiest way is to get a plastic trim tool and pry along the edge of the trim panel on the inside of the liftgate, the edge next to the light assembly. Pop up the trim panel at two or three of the attachment points so that you have enough room to get your hand on the back of the light assemble so you can take out the bulb socket. Swap in the new bulbs, check to make sure they light up before smacking the trim panel back in place. If they don't light turn the bulb 180 and try again. And while you are in there is a good time to replace the "dome lights" that are in that trim panel with LEDs. I believe you can reach those while you have the panel popped up.

·
Registered
Overland
38 Posts
The outer light assemblies are easily removed, pop a couple plastic rivets (carefully, you reuse them), and then pull the whole assembly out. For the inner assembly that's in the liftgate the easiest way is to get a plastic trim tool and pry along the edge of the trim panel on the inside of the liftgate, the edge next to the light assembly. Pop up the trim panel at two or three of the attachment points so that you have enough room to get your hand on the back of the light assemble so you can take out the bulb socket. Swap in the new bulbs, check to make sure they light up before smacking the trim panel back in place. If they don't light turn the bulb 180 and try again. And while you are in there is a good time to replace the "dome lights" that are in that trim panel with LEDs. I believe you can reach those while you have the panel popped up.
Thanks for the reply. So sounds simple, just don't break anything.

·
Registered
Limited 4x4
1,054 Posts

·
Vendor
553 Posts
Thanks everyone, we appreciate the kind words, these are bright and you will be seen when reversing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sJBCG7ed-I

listing:
You need more than just the 921 - that is only half and doesn't come anywhere near the brightness we offer - trying to avoid any confusion.

Our kit is for BOTH the 7440 that has a projector lens and powerful CREE Chips and the 921 LED - a total of 4 LEDs.

·
Registered
2018 Limited
203 Posts

I just upgraded the reverse lights on both mine and my wife's cars. Hers took less than 5 minutes. The Grand Cherokee took like an hour. The instructions provided are correct. One of my exterior tail lights as easier to pull off than the other. When I heard something like it was starting to "crack" on one I had to look for another point to get leverage. It eventually came off and I don't see any damage...I think what I heard was the bezel. That was the easy part. I originally went the route of just trying to pry up enough of the lift gate panel to get to the bulbs. It took a little more effort than I thought...including some minor edge damage...and that was using plastic trim tools. I got the lights replaced and when I was pushing the pins back in I heard one of the interior clips fall. I was unfortunately forced to remove the whole panel now and going after the last clip, one of the interior lift gate lights popped out...fell on the ground but fortunately the plastic lens didn't have any noticeable scratches. I found the clip, slid it back where it was supposed to go, and then had my wife help hold up the panel so I could connect the interior light sockets back in, line up the clips and finally get it back on.

Knowing how painful Jeep has made it to change out bulbs (headlights are even worse) I would've replaced all of them in the back so as not to change them for the life of the vehicle if I hadn't read about the problems with hyper flashing or the brake lights causing errors. I'm also hoping that if I get stationed in DC next (military) that I don't have to take any of my lights back out in Virginia...what about Maryland, are they any easier?

·
Registered
Black Summit
3,782 Posts
I just upgraded the reverse lights on both mine and my wife's cars. Hers took less than 5 minutes. The Grand Cherokee took like an hour. The instructions provided are correct. One of my exterior tail lights as easier to pull off than the other. When I heard something like it was starting to "crack" on one I had to look for another point to get leverage. It eventually came off and I don't see any damage...I think what I heard was the bezel. That was the easy part. I originally went the route of just trying to pry up enough of the lift gate panel to get to the bulbs. It took a little more effort than I thought...including some minor edge damage...and that was using plastic trim tools. I got the lights replaced and when I was pushing the pins back in I heard one of the interior clips fall. I was unfortunately forced to remove the whole panel now and going after the last clip, one of the interior lift gate lights popped out...fell on the ground but fortunately the plastic lens didn't have any noticeable scratches. I found the clip, slid it back where it was supposed to go, and then had my wife help hold up the panel so I could connect the interior light sockets back in, line up the clips and finally get it back on.

Knowing how painful Jeep has made it to change out bulbs (headlights are even worse) I would've replaced all of them in the back so as not to change them for the life of the vehicle if I hadn't read about the problems with hyper flashing or the brake lights causing errors. I'm also hoping that if I get stationed in DC next (military) that I don't have to take any of my lights back out in Virginia...what about Maryland, are they any easier?
Virginia failed me during safety inspection with LED reverse lights. Maryland does not have an annual safety inspection so you are probably fine unless you come across a picky cop in traffic

21 - 40 of 52 Posts