Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,318 Posts
I had no issue with inspection in PA with the LED lamps at the back of my JGC.

·
Registered
2018 Limited
203 Posts
Virginia failed me during safety inspection with LED reverse lights. Maryland does not have an annual safety inspection so you are probably fine unless you come across a picky cop in traffic

I skimmed through the inspection instructions...it doesn't appear you should've failed. In reading it, it sounds like that as long as 1) the LEDs are in a clear housing (which the reverse lights are) and at least half of the LEDs are functional, it is fine. How is VA on aftermarket LED headlights...that was pretty unclear....it sounded like the housings need to have a DOT stamp on them and that the bulbs need to in accordance with rating...that could mean H11...not halogen vs. HID vs. LED?

·
Registered
Black Summit
3,782 Posts
I skimmed through the inspection instructions...it doesn't appear you should've failed. In reading it, it sounds like that as long as 1) the LEDs are in a clear housing (which the reverse lights are) and at least half of the LEDs are functional, it is fine. How is VA on aftermarket LED headlights...that was pretty unclear....it sounded like the housings need to have a DOT stamp on them and that the bulbs need to in accordance with rating...that could mean H11...not halogen vs. HID vs. LED?
The reason they gave for failing the reverse lights is the LEDs were not DOT compliant bulbs.
Headlights they are probably more picky about. I think a lot has to do with the inspector also and how difficult they want to be.

·
Registered
WK2
443 Posts
Should help. Why specifically did they fail you? Were you given anything saying the requirements of the bulb you needed?

View attachment 183050 View attachment 183058 View attachment 183066 View attachment 183074 View attachment 183082 View attachment 183090 View attachment 183098

Every part of the beam contributor must meet DOT spec. The spec for the reverse light reflector, lens, etc is for an incandescent bulb, so not using that part of the beam contributor throws the whole thing out of DOT spec.

While they are technically correct, the desired effect of having "white light to indicate the vehicle is in reverse" is met.

Glad I don't have to worry about any of this in NY. At least where I go... :p

·
Registered
262 Posts
Every part of the beam contributor must meet DOT spec. The spec for the reverse light reflector, lens, etc is for an incandescent bulb, so not using that part of the beam contributor throws the whole thing out of DOT spec.

While they are technically correct, the desired effect of having "white light to indicate the vehicle is in reverse" is met.

Glad I don't have to worry about any of this in NY. At least where I go... :p
Not my state... not my car....not my problem!!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,318 Posts
Does VA have "state run" inspection stations where the workers are state employees? Here in PA, inspections are done by independent shops and auto dealers...and they like to move things through quickly so unless it's something pretty obvious as a safety problem, such as brakes being too worn, lights actually "out", tires worn to end-of-life, cracks in the windshield, etc, it passes. :)

·
Registered
2014 WK2 Overland
832 Posts
We have it easy here in NC. The statute basically says the vehicle shall fail safety inspection if "the reverse lights are illuminated while the vehicle is in a forward motion". They don't care of bulb type or color....or that they even work. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts

·
Registered
Black Summit
3,782 Posts
Does VA have "state run" inspection stations where the workers are state employees? Here in PA, inspections are done by independent shops and auto dealers...and they like to move things through quickly so unless it's something pretty obvious as a safety problem, such as brakes being too worn, lights actually "out", tires worn to end-of-life, cracks in the windshield, etc, it passes. :)
Independent shops, gas stations, dealers do the states safety inspections in VA. The inspection itself pays them very little money it's the failures and offers to fix the issues where they make more. Most want to avoid getting a failure sticker and wasting a lot of time to come back for small items for reinspect. If you get a failure sticker any place can fix it but you have to reinspect with the shop that failed it to get the passing sticker. So its rolling the dice some shops will be picky and fail you for anything and others will push you through.

·
Registered
WK2
443 Posts

That's how NY state is, too. Helps when you have a shop that trusts your work, he knows I don't drive anything that would fail inspection anyway.

·
Registered
Ram
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
My guy in Pa. is like that because he knows I won't pull anything shady and he trusts my word. MOF he always calls me anal on some of the stuff I do! He can't believe I pull the wheels so I can clean the wheels and tires on the inside or tear the calipers apart to paint them!!

41 - 52 of 52 Posts