Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Review of the Dynomax catback on a 3.7 V-6 ( future review of Walker Quiet Flow)

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  07-3.7-4wd street jeep 
#1 ·
I got the new exhaust installed this past week and have driven it locally (Chicago) and on the highway.
The muffler (17236) has a 24 inch body and is 29 inches overall

The exhaust is quite loud at lower speeds and under throttle and does get a drone from about 1500 RPM to 1800 RPM. However, once going about 60 or higher (2000 RPM or higher) the exhaust is barely audible.
Power at the high end definitely seems improved ( above 4500 RPM), which is no surprise since the stock muffler only has 1 7/8 ID pass tubes where the Dynomax 2 1/2 inch Welded has straight through piping. The Magnaflow dyno testing says their 2 1/2 inch Catback is good for 18 hp, so I expect the Dynomax is probably about the same.
Despite all 2 1/2 inch piping with mandrel bends ( not the wrinkle bends like standard Walker exhaust), bottom end torque seems unaffected.

For those that want a Stainless Steel muffler and don't mind it loud around town, this looks like a good choice, especially if nearly all your driving is at interstate speeds. The droning around 55 MPH could be a problem on typical 2 lane highways however.
I plan on swapping in the Stainless Steel Quiet Flow. I believe it has 2 1/4 inch pass tubes. The model (21544)called out for the Grand Cherokee has 2 1/2 inch in and 2 1/4 out with a 27 inch body and is 32 inches Overall. I will probably just install an adaptor from the 2 1/4 muffler to the 2 1/2 tail pipe. This should outflow the stock unit by quite a bit a still be quiet. There is a 2 1/2 in and 2 1/2 out model (21850) Quiet flow, but its has only 19 inch body so it would probably be louder and is more expensive. I am going to check for a larger body 2 1/2 in/ 2 1/2 out Quiet Flow as another option. Time to call tech again.

If I was going to do this again, I'd probably use the Walker Front Flange pipe ( cheaper that the others), Quite flow muffler and the BRE tailpipe ( I believe this is Bosal). The BRE pipes appears to be 2 1/4 mandrel bent ( the Bosal pipes I have used in the past where) , so its much nicer than the Walker tailpipe.

If the large body Walker super turbo are available, they might be a nice in between. The v-6 certainly doesn't need the flow capacity of the 2 1/2 inch Welded ultra flows. The super turbo should be good for about 250HP, probably making them a quieter match for a single exhaust v-6 with very little effect on high end power.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.