Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R
248 Posts
Why do you say the V6 was designed for boost?

·
Registered
'22 & '14 JGC; '09 Subaru Forester; RIP '05 Subaru Legacy STIEVO
2,287 Posts
Sure there are risks, but that's why you tune conservatively if you want longevity. Any engine can handle 6-7 psi, and the pentastar was designed with boost in mind. The power is within the rating of the 8 speed transmission. The 3.6's with the 5 speed share their transmission with the SRT, so no worries there.

Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage
Where do you get these facts from (see highlighted in color) ?

While I do recall reading that the design of the Pentastar did indeed accommodate for future forced induction, I caution that there is a huge difference between designing an engine to be eventually upgraded with forced induction and actually building it as such. It may mean anything from being designed to accommodate the increased cooling needs of forced induction to having cylinder walls thicker, to accommodating a variety of bore x stroke configurations and compression ratios. That does not mean that the Pentastar, in its current guise in any of our cars, was built to simply accept forced induction.

A conservative tune to me would be adding 2-4 psi to a motor with an aluminium engine block that was supercharged or turbocharged from the factory; not one that was no built as such.

·
Registered
Jeep
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Well.....I cannot speak for the longevity of the 3.6L with the blower but I can tell you that I have put on 8K HARD miles with the Supercharger and am now at 40,100 Miles on the odometer...and no failures yet

drives smooth and docile until you hammer the throttle ...then it just RIPS....

I drive 33 Miles each way to work every day ...most of which is highway...so that gives me AMPLE opportunity to smash the peddle and fly up to 100-125mph most every day ...I've really put this setup through the paces and i'm convinced that very few probably beat their setups as hard as I do ...but I do this because I want to see if it will break and see if I can trust it ....so far so good

I do pull over into the break down lane quite a bit so I can test the launching and 0-60 times...so far nothing has broken...I found that by lifting the throttle before shifts it actually shifts faster(thanks for the tip Brett-AKA Gmgc2014) ...and i'm convinced I still can better my current best of 4.8 Secs

I got this 4.8 by Launching at 2500 rpm and then lifting between the shift from 1st to second...and then lifting on the shift from 3rd-4th

still room for improvement though

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I drive 33 Miles each way to work every day ...most of which is highway...so that gives me AMPLE opportunity to smash the peddle and fly up to 100-125mph most every day ..

Only insecure idiots with tiny dongs have to show off by breaking the speed limit daily in such a stupid manner. Grow up, drive responsibly and quit endangering other people lives, who do respect themselves and others on the roads.

Reactions: GreenGreySS

·
Registered
Jeep
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)

Only insecure idiots with tiny dongs have to show off by breaking the speed limit daily in such a stupid manner. Grow up, drive responsibly and quit endangering other people lives, who do respect themselves and others on the roads.

I forgot that you're all knowing and see everything about where and when I drive fast...stop being such a jerk and grow up yourself...I know how to drive and when I can get away with driving fast without endangering anybody....I have not had an accident or a speeding ticket in over 20 years ...so troll someone elses thread and go away....only idiots can make blanket statements like you just made without knowing the facts

·
Registered
75 Posts
I drive 33 Miles each way to work every day ...most of which is highway...so that gives me AMPLE opportunity to smash the peddle and fly up to 100-125mph most every day ..

Oh, sell your jeep, go buy a Prius and annoy people in the left lane :lol:

·
Registered
2014 JGC Summit
466 Posts
Ajag,

Where do you get to use all this mighty horsepower and torque that you now command? More importantly, after you supercharge the SRT, where will you enjoy it? Sure, there's always a school zone...or more seriously, in urban areas there's always something to curb the fun: speed cameras, traffic, schools. Do you go to the drag strip every weekend or how?,

1. You're in the 'engine performance section', where people tend to upgrade the performance of their engine, resulting in higher power and faster vehicles.

2. You're lecturing a guy who has 330whp in a 5k lb jeep about having too much power? Why not go ask every guy in the SRT section the same thing?

3. Please get over the notion that quick acceleration is dangerous. I'm pretty sure this dude isn't doing 4wd burnouts around elementary bus stops in the local suburban neighborhoods.

High horsepower vehicles are a blast to drive every day. I've had a 400whp mustang and a 570whp Cobra for a DD and loved every minute of it. You don't have to drive like an asshat to have fun.

:rolleyes:

Again, why are you in the performance section of the forum? Go take your high and mighty, buzz killington attitude elsewhere.

·
Registered
Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R
248 Posts
calm down :) Who hasnt gone over the limit once in life? we all do. Having power under the foot is GREAT :) I like acceleration. And you dont have to put anyone in danger when you do it.. when its done safe, which im sure he does. The only danger is speed ticket :p

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
2. You're lecturing a guy who has 330whp in a 5k lb jeep about having too much power? Why not go ask every guy in the SRT section the same thing?

High horsepower vehicles are a blast to drive every day. I've had a 400whp mustang and a 570whp Cobra for a DD and loved every minute of it. You don't have to drive like an asshat to have fun.

:rolleyes:

Again, why are you in the performance section of the forum? Go take your high and mighty, buzz killington attitude elsewhere.
An SRT is a complete package that comes with upgraded suspension, brakes, steering. One can enjoy the SRT in quite different ways, in more responsible ways, compared to a supercharged Overland 3.6 V6, despite similar 0 - 60 mph times.

No, high HP are not enjoyable every day by everyone. I am glad it's working out for you. Depends a lot where you live. I can stay ahead of / hang with SRTs in my more modest than 570 whp Subaru, and I hate every second of driving it in the Chicago traffic. Daily driving it is an exercise in double-clutching twice every 20 feet and rarely making it into 2nd gear.

·
Registered
77 Posts
[quote name="mjb4334" post=1230245]Sure there are risks, but that's why you tune conservatively if you want longevity. <font color="DarkGreen">Any engine can handle 6-7 psi, and the pentastar was designed with boost in mind. <font color="Blue">The power is within the rating of the 8 speed transmission. <font color="Purple">The 3.6's with the 5 speed share their transmission with the SRT, so no worries there.

Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage

Where do you get these facts from (see highlighted in color) ?

<font color="DarkGreen"> Experience, any decently designed engine in fair condition can handle a small amount of boost, why do you think every aftermarket turbo kit for N/A cars is in that range? There are people running up to 10psi through the pentastar (with different brands supercharger kits) without issue. 2psi? Lol What a joke. Do some research.

<font color="Blue"> The power rating of the transmission is in its name. Do some research.

<font color="Purple"> I have the W5A580, aka Nag1 on my 2012. It is the same as what is in the SRT. Very stout. Do. Some. Research!

My Jeep has over 80k miles and around 8k on the kit. First thing I did when I got it was drive from CT to my new home in Sunny Florida, still running great. I can't wait to change the pulley!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

·
Registered
Jeep
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Just for the record....I have pretty much everything an SRT has as far as suspension and braking etc...and then some

I have the SRT Brembo system with cross drilled and vented rotors...road magnet mid drops with new bilstein shocks..sitting on 20x10 295/45/20' tires...black ops end links...srt sway bars ...All in I have more than the cost of an SRT invested in this black hole of a V6 jeep..

so this isn't some half ass v6 upgrade that i cooked up overnight :rolleyes:

I've also had my fair share of fast cars including a couple of 700+ hp daily drivers ...I bought this v6 with the intention of never upgrading it and hoping that the hp bug was out of my system

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
<font color="DarkGreen"> Experience, any decently designed engine in fair condition can handle a small amount of boost, why do you think every aftermarket turbo kit for N/A cars is in that range? There are people running up to 10psi through the pentastar (with different brands supercharger kits) without issue. 2psi? Lol What a joke. Do some research.

<font color="Blue"> The power rating of the transmission is in its name. Do some research.

<font color="Purple"> I have the W5A580, aka Nag1 on my 2012. It is the same as what is in the SRT. Very stout. Do. Some. Research!

My Jeep has over 80k miles and around 8k on the kit. First thing I did when I got it was drive from CT to my new home in Sunny Florida, still running great. I can't wait to change the pulley!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

Thank you for your kind invitation to do research. Goes both way, and I would start with the HTML code.

I am confident that your 2011-2013 specc'ed transmission may be the same as the SRT but that is not the case with the 2014+ vehicles. Polite as you are inviting me to do the research, I am attaching the research for you. RIPP posted a few videos of the supercharged engine, and in the last one he mentions 300 lb-ft torque at the same time when the engine whp was 303. I have seen dynos of the (same) Jeep putting 330 whp. Obviously there would be a corresponding increase in torque, with added horsepower. Page 2 of this brochure (see PDF) shows the manufacturer's intended torque [n-m] capability for each transmission type.

Specifications: 450 N-m = 332 lb-ft torque for the 8HP45 transmission in the 3.6 L V6 models Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Is that ZF-published figure wheel torque or crank torque ? I will give the benefit of doubt and say it is wheel torque (though I honestly do not think so). That is why I think the 6-7 psi this supercharger is pushing is too much for the transmission. If kit was for a 5.7 HEMI with the 8HP70 transmission, I'd be saving money. But I do not have that specification car and I think that the kit for the V8 is even more aggressive.

And frankly I also think 6-7 psi (despite being a common value for every turbo kit from the G35 to the FR-S/ BRZ) even for the engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Guys !

I have all the tuning issues worked out now ...I do get an occasional random PO304/PO300 Code (misfire) but it is essily cleared with the diablo tuner and really doesn't seem to affect performance at all...for some reason I just cannot figure out why it kicks the light ...its so random that it makes no sense..

other than that its perfect...

I will try to do a 45-85mph rolling time this week...but its FAST ...I can tell you that ...the highway pickup is awesome compared to stock...I can jump on the highway on a ramp and be up to 100MPH in a few seconds...

I drive a 2015 Durango Citadel with the 3.6l on the weekends and its stock aside from a ported throttle body...and i tell you what...its SOOO slow compared to my Grand cherokee...I will pull some 0-60 times off that this weekend ...but last time i tested this and my jeep (pre Supercharger ) I was getting like 0-60 in the 7.5 sec range

as for the repr wheels...I got a set of chrome ones off ebay (20x10 ) and have toyo proxes ST2 295/45/20 on those...I also have the hyper silver Repro wheels in 20x10 with a new set of Blizzak 285/50/20's for the winter.

For the money they are great...I recently ordered a set of new Lexani 22x10 R4 wheels in black with Toyo proxes ST2 305/40/22's on them so that's what I'm going to for next spring.

I'm in the process of taking all the chrome off my Jeep and also have the complete SRT body package for it ...so next spring that will go on as well

Hello Guys. I've been browsing over your comments on your Jeep GC SC upgrades and found it interesting; so much that I considered to get mine upgraded. There seems to be a delay in delivery from the manufacturer (Vortec), but it is in the making. I have a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Alititude 3.6L and always had concerns about what mods I should consider for the wheels. I have the black stock wheels, but would like a wider and better looking wheel to resemble the SRT. I see that you've already been using the 20 x 10's. I also noted you are about to go with 22 x 10s. Would my GC take that same size wheels as you are using? Secondly, if you have purchased the 22's, how do they handle? Did you have any mods to the suspension? Figured I 'd ask as I have been researching to try and get the right scoop. Thanks for all your input on the subject.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oh boy, I'm dying for this mod...
I had been contemplating getting my Jeep Grand Cherokee 2015 Altitude 3.6L with a RIPP Supercharger. Also went ahead with the coils as well. I went ahead with the upgrade and after 4 months, I've had regrets in performing the upgrade. Yes, it has more power, but there are more downsides. My biggest complaint is how the supercharger interacts with the transmission, especially at speeds above 50-75 MPH. I seems to be unstable at cruise speeds in that range, and every once in a while, it gives a rather large jolt which can't be good for the transmission. I sometimes get an engine code trip, but reset and can be weeks before it trips again. I'm not sure if the tuner had it properly tweaked, and had taken the vehicle back to get it relooked. After having had this upgrade for over four months, I now have my regrets, and am stuck with this never ending situation. My vehicle was in excellent shape and is always well maintained (no abuse). When I first start the vehicle, it seems to sputter (too rich on fuel) when first taking off, but when its warm, that symptom is gone. I would not brag about gas mileage. Anyway, wanted to let people know my experiences with this upgrade.

·
Registered
Procharged 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, 5.7 Hemi
843 Posts
I had been contemplating getting my Jeep Grand Cherokee 2015 Altitude 3.6L with a RIPP Supercharger. Also went ahead with the coils as well. I went ahead with the upgrade and after 4 months, I've had regrets in performing the upgrade. Yes, it has more power, but there are more downsides. My biggest complaint is how the supercharger interacts with the transmission, especially at speeds above 50-75 MPH. I seems to be unstable at cruise speeds in that range, and every once in a while, it gives a rather large jolt which can't be good for the transmission. I sometimes get an engine code trip, but reset and can be weeks before it trips again. I'm not sure if the tuner had it properly tweaked, and had taken the vehicle back to get it relooked. After having had this upgrade for over four months, I now have my regrets, and am stuck with this never ending situation. My vehicle was in excellent shape and is always well maintained (no abuse). When I first start the vehicle, it seems to sputter (too rich on fuel) when first taking off, but when its warm, that symptom is gone. I would not brag about gas mileage. Anyway, wanted to let people know my experiences with this upgrade.
I went with the ProCharger route because I have the 5.7 Hemi Grand Cherokee. It might be a tuner thing.

I figured, since I was up grading the engine with a supercharger, the transmission is going to need to be tuned to handle the additional horse power and torque. I do not know what tuner you are using or if you just went to a tuner and let them do their thing. I use the HPtuners software to tune the engine and the transmission. If you have a tuner (Diablo or HPtuners), there are remote tuners out there that could easily send you a tune for the transmission to compliment your supercharged engine.

I would be interested to know what the codes are that keep popping up every few weeks?

You shouldn't have any regrets. I use mine as a daily driver (20k+ miles just this past year), take it off road, and occasionally tow a 27 foot RV.

I believe that if you get a complete tune for your Jeep (engine and transmission) you will be very happy with your upgrade.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.