Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have about 3 inches of road tar on the headlight lens of a 2012 GC. Is it okay to use tar & bug remover from one of major wax manufacturers (i.e. Turtle Wax)?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
that stuff will be a biatch to get off the headlight housing without damaging the lense. can you post up a pic? I'm hoping you don't mean 3" thick.

I installed clear film on the lense for protection.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that stuff will be a biatch to get off the headlight housing without damaging the lense. can you post up a pic? I'm hoping you don't mean 3" thick.

I installed clear film on the lense for protection.

It is 3 inches in length. Will post a picture tonight. I agree- I don't want to damage the lens.

·
Premium Member
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
57,003 Posts
wd40 or plain old rubbing alcohol. Be sure to seal or wax the lamp after using either.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Headlamp Automotive lighting Light Auto part Car

Headlamp Automotive lighting Light Vehicle Car

Here are the pictures of the road tar.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
interesting that the tar is so isolated, I think the WD-40 is good advice to remove that.

Thanks for the link to the Lamin-X headlight covers, Suzieque! :cool:
np, I like how they have colored or tinted film for the headlights and foglights. a bit of tint would look good with dark paint. I installed some lamin-x on my rocker panel, but my front bumper was done by a 3m installer.

·
Registered
Limited
1,660 Posts
WD- 40 will take that off. I know from experience.
You may want to spray or apply the WD & let it stand for about five minutes. This will have a "melting" affect on the tar, then should wipe right off.

·
Lifer: Old Geezer
Overland
4,607 Posts
WD-40 will probably get it off. Or a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (it'll take anything off). It's a mild abrasive so be careful, but the chemicals in it will get it off quick!
WD-40 would work, but you need to be careful not to use too much.
Any mild abrasive would be a bad idea unless you plan to re-polish the lens with a polishing kit afterwards.

Bug and tar remover might also do the trick as will some paste waxes.

You might want to ask your dealer [presuming you have good terms with their service department] for a detailer recommendation to avoid messing up an expensive lens.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I used WD-40. It worked. Looks good. The tar was very thick and I had to let it set for about 15 minutes. Then it came off very easy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.