Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Granite Trailhawk
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you've got it let us know, if you post about it then post a link.

Quote from RRO https://www.rocky-road.com/wk2-quadra-lift-kit.html

"The Rocky Road Quadralift lift kit removes, replaces, and upgrades your air-ride components. Our patented conversion system combines with Old Man Emu lift components to give you a full 2" rear and 2.75" front lift for your Jeep. This is essentially about the same as your OFFROAD II setting on your Jeep, but with a more leveled stance sitting a little taller up front.
Our components allow you to remove the stock Air-Ride Quadralift suspension and upgrade to the world famous Old Man Emu components, all bolton, and easily aligned to factory spec. Our Deluxe Quadralift Lift Kits also come with new upper control arms as the stock ones are prone to break-down"

The kits come with:
OME Front Struts
OME Front Coil Springs (choice of spring rates)
Front Coil Spring installation components
Front Leveling strut mount & adapter

OME Rear Nitrocharger shocks
OME Rear Coil springs (choice of spring rates)
Rear Coil Spring installation components
Installation manual and video
Optional: Front Upper Control Arm

[SIZE=+1]Our kit fits tires up to 33"!! [/SIZE]

·
Super Moderator
8,703 Posts
It was just released if it's even available yet...you're not going to find any first hand experience I suspect.

·
Registered
Granite Trailhawk
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was just released if it's even available yet...you're not going to find any first hand experience I suspect.

I just wanted to give a easily findable thread for when they do, and to relay their experiences, problems, concerns, alignment issues, whatever.
This will be a much talked about and researched topic.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I ordered the kit on Friday. Over $2k shipped. I hope they get it shipped before the temperatures drop below 20F out here and my suspension freezes again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
An update:
Thus far my experience is not excellent. The site says a "2-3 week lead time". I ordered it 9/27 and today is 10/25, and I've heard zero from Rocky Road about my order.

·
Registered
GC TH
402 Posts
I hope things get better. This is a cool option.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,335 Posts
Best I can tell, the conversion is simply a proper shock change (some people re-use shock mounts when they should be replacing them with the shock) with springs thrown in. The rear spring isn't changed with shocks, so that's a little extra effort, but it's not that difficult....
AlphaOBD can reconfigure the electronics so you don't get the QL warning light from it being disabled....

If it was me, I wouldn't wait more than a few weeks for a kit, I'd just get the parts I need and put together my own kit.....
I'd also add up the price for purchasing the components individually and compare that to the price of the kit, to make sure I'm not getting ripped off, if you can put you're own kit together for hundreds less, then what are you paying for? Instructions, which would be the 1st half of QL removal procedures pasted to the 2nd half of conventional suspension installation procedure?

There are different levels of mechanical inclination and ability to innovate, so this might not be for everyone....
If you were going to have a shop install this, talk to them and see if they are willing to do the work with a kit you put together yourself...
If you can't look at that list and it not occur to you that you can put this together yourself, then you might not be up to the task...

Any lift kit for your M/Y WK2 that has new shocks and springs should work, if it doesn't include the small parts of the Upper Sock/Strut Mounts and/or spring pads (isolators) you need to get....

Remember, 2016 and on has a tab welded to the clevis for the sway bar end links, if the shock doesn't have that, it won't work for your WK2.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bump, also been waiting to hear about this... Hope your kit is shipped out to you soon!
I'm also watching this thread and was about to order to start a trail-able build from a 2014 Summit that I bought new for the DW and have now inherited as a daily... I emailed them with questions over the weekend and they responded right away. I'm concerned if they aren't shipping product.

If not, maybe I'll consider ordering some OME springs and a front leveling kit since the OME springs don't lift the front as much. I wonder what is so "proprietary" and "patent-able" about their kit for quadralift? It should just be "rip out all the QL crap", "add any OEM mount or bracket components that QL didn't come with and aren't in the OME kit", and "install normal springs" right?

The reason I'd just buy from them is their experience and one-stop shopping for a complete solution instead of figuring it all out for myself... and their a-arms look desirable to fix the ball joint angle and for tire clearance. But I'm not going to give a credit card number to a company that will ghost me after the sale.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Following this too. Haven't been a fan of the QL in my Trailhawk. Too often I need the OR-II setting for clearance but the constant thunking top-out of the suspension SUCKS! System has also overheated a few times while on the trail the last few months and just stopped functioning at all. Would be nice to have the height and a full-travel suspension at the same time.

I had the RRO 2" lift on my 2011 WK2 and it worked well for about the same height. Though that system was basically welded blocks at each corner.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,335 Posts
Quadratec has the OME 2" lift kit in stock and ready to ship for $1,131, the Eibach 2" lift kit for $939...
You can find the rest of the things on the kit list at Morris4X4center for about $200...
Are you wating and paying more just for a set of instructions??

Cause you can just get instructions for the QL and Conventional suspensions and just follow QL for removal of old parts and Conventional for installation of new parts.....

Just sayin......

Oh, they're advertising a kit for 2016 and on WK2's, don't know if there are other lift kits out there for those years.... ....2016 and on require a tab welded on the clevis, not many kits with shocks that have that.....

·
Registered
36 Posts
There's also various strut mounts, coil spring isolators, etc. that aren't included in a standard lift kit for an existing steel coil spring setup. If I had the time and patience to piece together a kit myself and have my Jeep in pieces in the garage all winter perhaps I'd have done that.

That said, I called and checked status of the order today as it's been over 30 days since I ordered it.
I was told that the rear springs are on backorder with an ETA of November 20th.
Worse the front struts are backordered and they have no idea when they'll arrive.
So I'm pretty well screwed as we're having an early winter up here in Eastern WA and it's expected to drop to 14F tonight and it sounds like I probably won't be seeing the kit I ordered in September (and had my credit card charged for) until Christmas.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,335 Posts
There's also various strut mounts, coil spring isolators, etc. that aren't included in a standard lift kit for an existing steel coil spring setup. If I had the time and patience to piece together a kit myself and have my Jeep in pieces in the garage all winter perhaps I'd have done that.

That said, I called and checked status of the order today as it's been over 30 days since I ordered it.
I was told that the rear springs are on backorder with an ETA of November 20th.
Worse the front struts are backordered and they have no idea when they'll arrive.
So I'm pretty well screwed as we're having an early winter up here in Eastern WA and it's expected to drop to 14F tonight and it sounds like I probably won't be seeing the kit I ordered in September (and had my credit card charged for) until Christmas.
Do you have a 2016 + WK2? The front shock requires the tab welded on the shock clevis, the few aftermarket shocks that have added this tab there has been delays, might explain an indefinite back order of the front shocks....

When I bought my Bilstein 5100's, I looked up all those parts, comparison shopped them and ordered them for roughly $150. It took a couple of hours. I didn't get the rear spring isolators because I wasn't pulling the rear spring..... ....those will cost you an extra $80....

Morris4x4Center has the Eibach 2" Lift Kit for $850..... ....shocks and springs....
QuadraTec has the Eibach kit for $939 and the OME 2" lift kit for $1,131....

The UCA's and Leveling blocks for the front shocks are on RRO site for $59... (this one has me puzzled, these blocks provide a 2" lift, while an 1.25"-1.5" is needed to level, to be on top of an already 2" lift)

The parts you need for the additional small hardware, either Morris4x4center or eBay....
Front MOUNT, Shock Upper68029520ACCrown68029520AE
$20.99​
$41.98​
Morris 4x4 Center
Rear MOUNT, Shock Upper68029590ADOmix18283.41
$17.99​
$35.98​
Morris 4x4 Center
PLATE, Rear Shock Mount05181844AAw/o [SES]Omix18283.45
5.99​
$11.98​
Morris 4x4 Center
Front SHIELD, Shock Absorber Dust68029522ACMopar
$6.30​
$12.60​
eBay.com
Rear SHIELD, Shock Absorber Dust68029592ACMopar
$2.24​
$4.48​
eBay.com
Front ISOLATOR, Spring, Upper68029646ABCrown68029646AE
$11.99​
$23.98​
Morris 4x4 Center
ISOLATOR, Spring, Upper68029686ABMopar
$13.67​
$27.34​
eBay.com
SOLATOR, Spring, Lower68029688ADMopar
$25.82​
$51.64​
eBay.com
Front/Rear BUMPER, Jounce68029521ACCrown68029521AD
$6.99​
$27.96​
Morris 4x4 Center
$237.94​

Or you can wait till Christmas to get your kit at a higher cost....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah well we'll see if they even let me cancel the order at this point. I'll probably end up having to contest it via my credit card company.

Mine is a 2012 model...

Also note that the quoted $2k included the RR upper control arms and shipping. The actual cost for just the lift plus the leveling stuff is $1600 before shipping, or around $1700 after shipping for me.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,335 Posts
I haven't worked out all the math.... ...you throw in the extra's and shipping it might not be such a deal....

When you said you paid $2k, I was hoping you got the kit with UCA's....

If it was me, since I just installed Bilstein 5100's with all new hardware for anything that can wear (new dust shields, since they were only a couple of buck)....

Having done that job, If I were going to convert a QL WK2 to a conventional lifted suspension, I would get the same stuff (Bilstein 5100's and associated hardware) get the OME Lift Springs, the rear spring isolators and add on aftermarket UCA's for lifted vehicles.... ....use the adjustable spring perch of the front Bilstein 5100's for leveling...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I considered the 5100's, but the OME struts from what I've heard have stronger damping to control the OME springs that have a higher spring rate than the normal steel spring suspension and especially higher than the fairly soft QL suspension. I've driven vehicles with struts/shocks that are too weak to control the springs they're paired with and it's an exercise in bouncy wallowy terrible handling.

Again what appealed to me as a DIY person doing this in my garage in cold weather was that it comes with the front struts assembled, saving a good amount of time and having to fuss with spring compressors, and it was supposed to come with ALL the parts, hopefully saving me the 20-30 parts store runs or online orders for bits and pieces that doing it piecemeal inevitably entail having to do.

I was willing to wait 2-3 weeks like the site says to have a ready to install kit and pay a bit extra for having someone sort it out for me. I am NOT willing to wait until 2020 to get what I ordered in September 2019.

Note that even on Quadtratec it shows "Estimated to ship on November 15", which means they likely don't keep the parts in stock but order them from their wholesaler when they get an order themselves... which means their ETA for the parts is probably even further out than RR's as RR told me they were "waiting for an ETA from their importer". They do appear to have the Eibach kit in stock though as it "ships tomorrow".

·
Registered
465 Posts
Do you have a 2016 + WK2? The front shock requires the tab welded on the shock clevis, the few aftermarket shocks that have added this tab there has been delays, might explain an indefinite back order of the front shocks....

When I bought my Bilstein 5100's, I looked up all those parts, comparison shopped them and ordered them for roughly $150. It took a couple of hours. I didn't get the rear spring isolators because I wasn't pulling the rear spring..... ....those will cost you an extra $80....

Morris4x4Center has the Eibach 2" Lift Kit for $850..... ....shocks and springs....
QuadraTec has the Eibach kit for $939 and the OME 2" lift kit for $1,131....

The UCA's and Leveling blocks for the front shocks are on RRO site for $59... (this one has me puzzled, these blocks provide a 2" lift, while an 1.25"-1.5" is needed to level, to be on top of an already 2" lift)

The parts you need for the additional small hardware, either Morris4x4center or eBay....
Front MOUNT, Shock Upper68029520ACCrown68029520AE
$20.99​
$41.98​
Morris 4x4 Center
Rear MOUNT, Shock Upper68029590ADOmix18283.41
$17.99​
$35.98​
Morris 4x4 Center
PLATE, Rear Shock Mount05181844AAw/o [SES]Omix18283.45
5.99​
$11.98​
Morris 4x4 Center
Front SHIELD, Shock Absorber Dust68029522ACMopar
$6.30​
$12.60​
eBay.com
Rear SHIELD, Shock Absorber Dust68029592ACMopar
$2.24​
$4.48​
eBay.com
Front ISOLATOR, Spring, Upper68029646ABCrown68029646AE
$11.99​
$23.98​
Morris 4x4 Center
ISOLATOR, Spring, Upper68029686ABMopar
$13.67​
$27.34​
eBay.com
SOLATOR, Spring, Lower68029688ADMopar
$25.82​
$51.64​
eBay.com
Front/Rear BUMPER, Jounce68029521ACCrown68029521AD
$6.99​
$27.96​
Morris 4x4 Center
$237.94​

Or you can wait till Christmas to get your kit at a higher cost....
GOOD TO KNOW.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Quadratec has the OME 2" lift kit in stock and ready to ship for $1,131, the Eibach 2" lift kit for $939...
You can find the rest of the things on the kit list at Morris4X4center for about $200...
Are you wating and paying more just for a set of instructions??

Cause you can just get instructions for the QL and Conventional suspensions and just follow QL for removal of old parts and Conventional for installation of new parts.....

Just sayin......

Oh, they're advertising a kit for 2016 and on WK2's, don't know if there are other lift kits out there for those years.... ....2016 and on require a tab welded on the clevis, not many kits with shocks that have that.....
GOOD TO KNOW.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,335 Posts
I considered the 5100's, but the OME struts from what I've heard have stronger damping to control the OME springs that have a higher spring rate than the normal steel spring suspension.....
That's a good point, evaluating shocks is really difficult cause its just not simple numbers.... ...so all the manufacturers just say our shocks are best, believe us....

The 5100's do have higher damping rates than OEM, but I don't know if they are more than OME shocks..... ...and getting shocks with springs as a kit designed by a big manufacturer does greatly improve the chances the damping will match the spring rate....

·
Registered
36 Posts
The Eibach kit is $845 from Amazon currently. It would at least insure that the struts/shocks are matched to the spring rates, but I've seen no reviews on how good or bad they are.
At this point I may as well wait for it to freeze again and maybe the dealer will actually do a purge and refill like I asked them to do and they declined...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts