Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Jeep GC Overland 5.7L Hemi, Black exterior, Saddle Bag interior.
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Wk2 overland with the chrome roof rails. What is the best roof rack crossbar set up that people have purchased? I have seen prices from $50-$250 online. Thanks.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I also have a 2012. I had the OEM aero-style crossbars. I kept them on all of the time, because I didn’t notice any undue noise from them. Plus, the hardware that attached them to the roof rails was hard to install, although I’m not sure whether that was particular to my roof rails. The design of the parts looked good, but there was no slop built into them, so it was a challenge to get them into the rails. Once they were on, though, they were rock solid.

I ended up lending them to my father-in-law to use on his 2014. I’m in Connecticut and he moved from New Jersey to Arizona, so I’m never getting them back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also have a 2012. I had the OEM aero-style crossbars. I kept them on all of the time, because I didn’t notice any undue noise from them. Plus, the hardware that attached them to the roof rails was hard to install, although I’m not sure whether that was particular to my roof rails. The design of the parts looked good, but there was no slop built into them, so it was a challenge to get them into the rails. Once they were on, though, they were rock solid.

I ended up lending them to my father-in-law to use on his 2014. I’m in Connecticut and he moved from New Jersey to Arizona, so I’m never getting them back.
Thank you!

·
Registered
651 Posts
I think it is important to note that some people on the forum have experienced different results from the OEM crossbars (myself for example).

I purchased them to use for my surf/paddle boards with hopes to leave them attached to the roof at all times. Unfortunately, the amount of wind noise they produced was overbearing no matter how many times I tried to align them along the rails. Unfortunately, I am forced to remove them when they are not being used which is a hassle. Who knows, maybe I have a bad set. But I have seen others complain...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it is important to note that some people on the forum have experienced different results from the OEM crossbars (myself for example).

I purchased them to use for my surf/paddle boards with hopes to leave them attached to the roof at all times. Unfortunately, the amount of wind noise they produced was overbearing no matter how many times I tried to align them along the rails. Unfortunately, I am forced to remove them when they are not being used which is a hassle. Who knows, maybe I have a bad set. But I have seen others complain...
Thank you for that! I have a full roof luggage rack I would like to have installed full time but I am sure the road noise will be too much. I was also hoping to get a smittybilt roof top tent at some point so am also worried about how much weight they can handle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think that whether or not you have a sunroof/panoramic roof may make a difference. I've got a 2014 Laredo (no sunroof), and the ONLY time I've noticed increase noise from my crossbars is when there's a frost and they're covered in an ice layer, which reduces their aerodynamics. I bought the Brightlines brand off Amazon for $99. They install easily, lock, and don't seem to be too loud. Amazon.com: BRIGHTLINES Crossbars Roof Racks Luggage Racks Replacement for 2011-2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee: Automotive

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think that whether or not you have a sunroof/panoramic roof may make a difference. I've got a 2014 Laredo (no sunroof), and the ONLY time I've noticed increase noise from my crossbars is when there's a frost and they're covered in an ice layer, which reduces their aerodynamics. I bought the Brightlines brand off Amazon for $99. They install easily, lock, and don't seem to be too loud. Amazon.com: BRIGHTLINES Crossbars Roof Racks Luggage Racks Replacement for 2011-2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee: Automotive
Thanks! I will check them out!

·
Registered
12 Posts
The ones I posted probably can't handle a roof-top tent, but they would be a cheap option to hold over until you're ready for something more substantial to hold the tent.

Rocky-Road, Offroad Animal, and Chief all have roof-racks designed to hold rooftop tents.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The ones I posted probably can't handle a roof-top tent, but they would be a cheap option to hold over until you're ready for something more substantial to hold the tent.

Rocky-Road, Offroad Animal, and Chief all have roof-racks designed to hold rooftop tents.
Thats kind off what i was thinking too, I just want to get the luggage rack mounted. I have the pano sunroof, there should be enough clearance correct?

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Brightlines stand up pretty high off the roof compared to some others. They're a little taller than I would prefer honestly, but I'm not going to complain for the price. I wouldn't think you'd have any issues.

Eventually I want to upgrade to one of the nicer racks from one of the 3 I mentioned. Probably the Rocky-Road since it's a little more barebones kind of unit.

Edit: added a couple pictures to show them on my Laredo.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
I asked this same question a few months ago. I recently decided on the Brightlines bars. I got lucky and found a used set on eBay for $45 shipped, which is less than half the price of new. Even new at $99, they are a fantastic price. Much less cheaper than the big name Brands (Yakima and Thule)that cost several hundred dollars more. I don’t doubt those brands are better. But are they really $300-$400 better?
I haven’t installed mine yet. Just got them delivered less than a week ago. Waiting for a warm day to try them out and see how noisy they are. I figured if I don’t like them it only a $45 loss. I really didnt want to invest big bucks into cross bars as I’m not sure if my next vehicle in a about two years will be another GC or maybe something else.

·
Registered
6 Posts
...I was also hoping to get a smittybilt roof top tent at some point so am also worried about how much weight they can handle.
FYI, information on Yakima's website indicates that the WK2 roof with the OEM rails is structurally insufficient for a rooftop tent.

If you're looking for crossbars that are wider than the OEM ones for hauling kayaks or whatever there are mounts like these which allow longer bars to be used. I've used the INNO brand and they're every bit as good as Yakima or Thule and less expensive. The INNO square bar dimensions are the same as the Thule square bars.

·
Registered
12 Posts
FYI, information on Yakima's website indicates that the WK2 roof is structurally insufficient for a rooftop tent.
Supposedly the racks that Chief/Offroad Animal/Rocky-Road sell use more attachment points that distribute the load differently on the roof to allow for a heavier load. I've seen a number of WK2's with rooftop tents and no issues reported. I haven't personally used either the rack or a RTT so I can't say for certain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Supposedly the racks that Chief/Offroad Animal/Rocky-Road sell use more attachment points that distribute the load differently on the roof to allow for a heavier load. I've seen a number of WK2's with rooftop tents and no issues reported. I haven't personally used either the rack or a RTT so I can't say for certain.
I edited my comment to referemce the OEM rails. You're correct that the Chief rack is designed to bear significantly more weight on the more solid outer edge of the roof which, according to their website, has been verified by independent test.

·
Registered
2020 GC Trailhawk
12 Posts
I’m using the Rhino Rack vortex RVP

And a Yakima loadwarrior

Love the ability to lock down the entire system. Purchased the spare tire and jack attachments also. A little pricey but great quality products.

I have the panoramic sunroof and have to admit I get a substantial amount of noise on the interstate, especially on windy days. I like the way it looks so I deal with the noise.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the factory crossbars-I keep the Surf-INNO racks permanently attached, only occasional noise (depending on humidity), very happy with the setup.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2012 Wk2 overland with the chrome roof rails. What is the best roof rack crossbar set up that people have purchased? I have seen prices from $50-$250 online. Thanks.
I have a 2016 with the pano-roof and I’ve used both the Thule brand and Rhino-Rack brand, both aero style and they’re easy to install and swap out for my mountain bikes, but unfortunately the wind noise is unbearable. I use them in the summer months only.

·
4WL TREK-er — so many trails, so little time
2016 JGC CRD
1,594 Posts
About 6 years ago I was looking for roof rack options. I searched this forum at that time and found a pretty complete listing of manufacturers, and then posted them in this thread: WK2 Rack Systems: Manufacturers List

There's a lot of information in it about most if not all of the manufacturers who make a rack system for our WK2s.

Hope this helps!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts