Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only just had this thought, but I'm curious if there are any RTT owners on here that also have QL suspension, and if so, what approach do you use? Do you put it in jack mode to stop the suspension from trying to level, or just let it level and occasionally adjust itself through the night? I was originally envisioning leaving it in whatever ride height I was currently at (which seems would be OR1 most of the time), but then it occurred to me it would theoretically keep trying to level itself, wouldn't it?

·
Super Moderator
10,183 Posts
I was originally envisioning leaving it in whatever ride height I was currently at (which seems would be OR1 most of the time)
When you turn the vehicle on, it will automatically return to "Normal" height...height isn't "sticky" unless you are doctoring the electronics with an app that can change the physical settings for "normal" height and other selections.

I do not believe you're going to have much issue with the vehicle leveling while using your tent. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
2,033 Posts
It will only level until the vehicle goes to "sleep". It wakes up and begins leveling when you open the door or use the key. So through the night I would not expect it to continue leveling.

·
Registered
GC TH
527 Posts
When you turn the vehicle on, it will automatically return to "Normal" height...height isn't "sticky" unless you are doctoring the electronics with an app that can change the physical settings for "normal" height and other selections.

I do not believe you're going to have much issue with the vehicle leveling while using your tent. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.
This is incorrect, at least for my 19 TH. We frequently leave it in OR1 or 2 while wheeling. We turn the Jeep off before getting out to go scope an obstacle or to hike to something. When we come back, it is at the same height at which we left it. This also goes for Entry/exit when we park it in our garage. It doesn’t change until you manually change it or hit one of the speed triggers.

@mobius, Tire Jack mode should work fine if you already have it pretty level. Something else to consider is that you’ll need a quality roof rack like Offroad Animal or similar to support the weight and not damage your roof. The OEM rails have been known to pull the roof nutcerts out. Disregard if you’ve already addressed this.

·
Super Moderator
10,183 Posts
There must have been a change to the behavior then. I stand corrected.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That sleep piece is part of what I was wondering about. I've noticed when I was working on the drawer cube I'm building for the back (designed an easily removable one) that the Jeep leveled itself if I sat in the back for a while or the like. I wasn't sure if there was a sleep period where it would stop. Since I had the tailgate open I suppose that would keep it awake.

Tire Jack mode should work fine if you already have it pretty level. Something else to consider is that you’ll need a quality roof rack like Offroad Animal or similar to support the weight and not damage your roof. The OEM rails have been known to pull the roof nutcerts out. Disregard if you’ve already addressed this.
Yeah, I'll be getting a Chief rack sometime next year. Using a ground tent to start anyway, so I've got a little while. This question just occurred to me this morning watching a video.

With the WK2, in some of the driving shots it definitely looks to be in OR1 or 2, but when stopped with the tent deployed looks like it might be lowered. Also saw it on a leveling block at one point which had me wondering how QL would do with that. So I was curious what folks with RTT and QL do.

·
Registered
2018 Grand Cherokee Altitude
11 Posts
Mildly off topic, but have y’all found any specific roof rack tents that are best for GCs?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Even further off topic... have y'all found any specific roof rack tents that don't cost more than the GC??? Prices are ridiculous
There are a few decent bargain brands, plus the hope of finding one used for a good deal. But yeah, 'taint cheap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Only just had this thought, but I'm curious if there are any RTT owners on here that also have QL suspension, and if so, what approach do you use? Do you put it in jack mode to stop the suspension from trying to level, or just let it level and occasionally adjust itself through the night? I was originally envisioning leaving it in whatever ride height I was currently at (which seems would be OR1 most of the time), but then it occurred to me it would theoretically keep trying to level itself, wouldn't it?
I can chime in with what I’ve done. I put it in entry/exit mode when I park (wish there was a way to control each corner height which would prevent the need to use rocks/sticks to make sure JEEP is level. As for tent, I have a Tepui Keukenam Sky 3, fitted to Rocky Road Outfitters rack. Very happy with both. I think the rails and crossbars were very reasonable (sub $500??? Been a couple years though )

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a Tepui Explorer Kukenam 3 mounted to my Chief Products roof rack. Thule acquired Tepui some years back, and the tents are currently marketed as Thule Tepui. I paid $1400 for the tent just two years ago, so the prices have gone up a bit. Among other reasons, I chose this one for its relatively light weight at 120 lbs compared to many other rooftop tents. I also mounted the Tepui awning with mosquito netting that keeps the meat bees away! Depending on your budget, there is also the Rhino Rack batwing awning which looks pretty nice.

To answer your question, I never noticed the car adjusting during the night. Not an issue at all.

When parking to pop open the tent, I use the Pitch and Roll app in Uconnect's Off-Road Pages to find the most level spot.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Automotive carrying rack

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Tepui Explorer Kukenam 3 mounted to my Chief Products roof rack. Thule acquired Tepui some years back, and the tents are currently marketed as Thule Tepui. I paid $1400 for the tent just two years ago, so the prices have gone up a bit. Among other reasons, I chose this for its relatively light weight at 120 lbs compared to many other rooftop tents. I also mounted the Tepui awning with mosquito netting that keeps the meat bees away! Depending on your budget, there is also the Rhino Rack batwing awning which looks pretty nice.

To answer your question, I never noticed the car adjusting during the night. Not an issue at all.

When parking to pop open the tent, I use the leveler in the Offroad Assessories Uconnect app to find the best spot.

View attachment 237070
Very nice set up! Great idea using Uconnect app

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
243 Posts
I have noticed when the suspension on our 2018 HA is in "park" height - it does seem to adjust seemingly at random. I will be doing stuff in the garage and I will suddenly hear it adjusting. It does not seem to do this when it is in OR1 or OR2.

Either way, I wouldn't worry about it unless you are a light sleeper if it happens to adjust.

·
Super Moderator
10,183 Posts
Any adjustment it makes is a "very small" increment and other than the noise, it's not likely going to be noticed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts