Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JG,

I took my WK2 EcoD 4x4 Limited in to have RRO leveling kit installed. My installer called me back and said struts were shot and axle leaking. I thought all would be covered by extended warranty. Not so much.

Jeep will fix axle but not struts under warranty. So question becomes, can I upgrade to Bilstein or Rancho?

What are thoughts on either of these considering I already have the leveling kit ready to install? If Bilstein, what height to achieve level stance? Any feedback on the "Heavy Duty" Ranchos (Rock Auto)? Mine has load leveling Nivomats, so not trying to replace unless necessary.

Please opine at will.

Thx,
KG

·
Premium Member
SRT8
2,629 Posts
JG,

I took my WK2 EcoD 4x4 Limited in to have RRO leveling kit installed. My installer called me back and said struts were shot and axle leaking. I thought all would be covered by extended warranty. Not so much.

Jeep will fix axle but not struts under warranty. So question becomes, can I upgrade to Bilstein or Rancho?

What are thoughts on either of these considering I already have the leveling kit ready to install? If Bilstein, what height to achieve level stance? Any feedback on the "Heavy Duty" Ranchos (Rock Auto)? Mine has load leveling Nivomats, so not trying to replace unless necessary.

Please opine at will.

Thx,
KG
What extended warranty did you get? because Maxcare def covers shocks and Leaks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know if there are others? Maxcare sounds correct.

·
Registered
194 Posts
JG,

Please opine at will.

Thx,
KG
I installed Bilstein 5100's on my wife's 2011 WK2. I set them to 1.75". They ride better than stock. The only downside, is that they were a holy [email protected]#$$er to install.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried to look it up using provided with no success. I will have to call tomorrow.

In the meantime, are there any additional thoughts on the original post? Bilsteins and settings with RRO leveling kit. Or, Rancho heavy duty? I haven't seen any feedback on Rancho.

Thanks,
KG

·
Premium Member
SRT8
2,629 Posts
I tried to look it up using provided with no success. I will have to call tomorrow.

In the meantime, are there any additional thoughts on the original post? Bilsteins and settings with RRO leveling kit. Or, Rancho heavy duty? I haven't seen any feedback on Rancho.

Thanks,
KG
I would recommend the Bilstein's as they a great track record.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's the way I'm leaning if OEM not covered. Any thoughts on setting considering I am installing the RRO leveling kit? The last thing I want is a reverse rake! LOL

KG

·
Registered
236 Posts
You could go with the Bilsteins 4600s and use the RRO kit, or do the 5100s set at 1.75 and forget about the spacer (which is what I would recommend). Either option should get you 'level'. The 5100s start at .4 lift so any leveling spacer on top of that will give you a 'nose up' look.

Reactions: GoodieKev

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's what I'm afraid of (nose up). I'm not particularly keen on returning the RRO kit, but it could make sense. Is there something about the 4600's to be concerned about versus the 5100's.

How much nose up are we talking? Isn't there a spacer for the rear to combine with 5100's + RRO that would create a taller but level stance? Sorry for all the questions. I lost all my notes on the subject with a hard drive failure. (I take notes b/c I can't remember all the details.)

Thanks,
KG

·
Registered
236 Posts
The first slot on the Bilstein 5100s is .4, so you would be approximately .4 higher in front if you installed with the RRO leveling spacer. I believe the valving is the same between the 4600 and 5100s, but the 5100s have the adjustable spring perch, and hopefully more travel. Account for twice as much lift as the spacer is high for rear spacers (has to do with the total angle increase at the wheel). The Sachs load leveling rear shocks aren't known for their longevity, and the springs included with those shocks are softer than the standard suspension as the shocks themselves add support to the springs. Replacing the shocks out back without changing the springs will make it sag in the back. If all you truly want is 'level', do the 5100s up front at the top rung, return or sell the RRO spacers, and leave it. If you're chasing a true front and rear lift, then I would suggest going with a full lift like Dobinson's.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright. So I spoke with Mopar Max Care and they confirmed the original owner had purchased the extended warranty, but dealership let it lapse before I purchased the vehicle. That sucks because salesman told me it had the extended warranty intact and would transfer to me. That was a big selling point for me. Not sure there is any recourse on that.

Given the situation I think I am going to return the RRO leveling kit and go with Bilstein 5100s set to tallest setting. As I understand it, that will level the front (1.75") w/ back and accommodate 32" tires.

Any additional thoughts/considerations/input before I pull the trigger on the Bilsteins tomorrow?

Thanks,
KG

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The saga continues. I found the original paperwork from the dealer and found I DO have extended coverage, 12 years, no mileage limit actually, it's just with a third party warranty company. I spoke with them and they do not require OEM parts so long as aftermarket meets OEM measurements and I can use the shop of my choice. The rep confirmed Bilsteins 5100s were fine. So, after all this, I am going to have my local shop install the Bilsteins after dealership repairs axle.

I am also having same local shop install Hercules AT2 265/65/R18. They have a 60k mile warranty and 2 year, no questions asked, roadside hazard replacement guarantee. Shop is giving me 90 days to evaluate, also.

I will post pictures once all is complete.

Thanks for all the feedback.

KG

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Yeah. You are correct. On backorder everywhere. Earliest shipping late March to early April. Many saying May.

My exhaustive search did yield another question though. Many descriptions state, "Without Air Leveling or Self-Leveling Suspension" for compatibility. I think all EcoD (like mine) have "load leveling" Nivomat rear shocks? Is this the same thing as self-leveling? Will this cause an issue with rake, ride, etc.? If so, what are some options? I tow fairly often and do not wish to diminish capacity.

Additional thoughts welcome.

Thanks,
KG

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have steel suspension so I'm not 100% but from what I've read, the rear bilsteins are the same size/height as the oem's. Replacing the oem shock with a better shock shouldn't effect the load leveling bags.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Any conclusion here? Seems like most of these topics are a lot of chat without a final result... I keep seeing the RRO with 5100’s in the front 1” spacer from RRO in the back stock suspension yields about a 1-1.5” rake

1 - 17 of 17 Posts