Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Rust all over trim after a year, help

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  ernestd 
#1 ·
I noticed that there's little specs of rust all over he chrome trim surrounding the windows today
I bought the wk2 in February last year. What do I do?

Attachments

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
This jeep is kept in the garage mostly. It's the only part of the car that has this stuff. Nothing else. I'm not sure it's environmental. And yes I clean this car regularly. My 02 WJ has been with me for 11 years and has never had anything like this. Would you all suggest taking it to the dealer? Thanks again. This is really weird. And yeah I live 5 miles from LAX.

#8 ·
Order yourself some Meguiars red clay and Meguiars Last Touch Quick detailer (gallon size) and get to work. :)

Also get some more goodies while you order. Like maybe a nice porter cable starter kit along with some M105, m205, m26 and blackfire wet diamond. Oh and some Hyper Wash, grit guards, 2 buckets, and sheepskin mitts.

Sorry I just made you spend all that money. But its needed. :)

#9 ·
I wouldn't hesitate to show it to a dealer. If it is something in the environment in your area they may have seen it before.

The '02 probably has different materials that might not be effected.

#10 ·
I'm taking it in on Monday. I'll see what they say. Pretty sure I know rust when I see it, it's only the trim that has it. Read somewhere on this forum that someone had a similar problem.

#12 ·
Hey guys took the WK2 to the dealer this morning and they said they'd try claying it before replacing the chrome. They clay took off the rust looking stuff. They said since the dealership is a mile from LAX, it could be jet fuel particles from when it was on the lot before it was bought. They also already have 2014s, doesn't look nearly as aggressive as the 11-13, looks like a compass/ stripped down wk2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.