Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently took my Patriot for inspection and mechanic found the whole frame was rusted out. Would not pass inspection. He said it’s not even safe to drive. How could that happen in one year. The previous person who inspected it never said a thing. We keep our vehicles spotless and have never took it off roading. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Have some pics of the damage? Have you owned it since new? Even though you keep the body spotless, the undercarriage needs flushing also. If you live in the salt belt like me, undercoating helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No pictures and purchased in 2012. Never had any problems with car. Was told there was a recall that causes the frame to rust prematurely.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Might want to get a 2nd opinion from a trusted shop or dealership.

Rusted out frame cross members are not uncommon in the older Pats.
I could be wrong but seem to remember reading somewhere that FCA will replace the frames under some kind of extended safety warranty recall as you mentioned.
Might want to check that out, worth a shot.

By the way i heard stories where Jeep dealerships will refuse to work on a Pat if those frames are rusted bad enough and instead request the Pat be totaled.

And yes if they're corroded enough, the Pat is unsafe.

If you can afford to do so, might be a good time to trade it in.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,569 Posts
If you live in a state that loves to use salt you should soak the underside in FluidFilm every fall. The underside of my XJ was spotless when I sold it....well after you used a pressure washer to blow away the build up of fluid film.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,569 Posts
Hey Todd, i hear you!
If you haven't already check out my thread where i had to 'cure' the cancer on my XJ.

https://jeepgarage.org/f19/lower-1-4-panel-rot-fixed-207253.html
Nice going! Most guys just chop that section out and take the extra clearance. I prefer the stock look.

The day I rolled under the my XJ on the dealer lot and saw a spotless undercarriage I looked past all the other minor issues and pulled out the checkbook. It was a sickness after that until we decided two guys and a dog out-grew it and needed something larger.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts