Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one of those 3M invisible shield on the front of my 2013 GC and I thought it was bubbling up. I took it to the body shop that installed it and they removed it and the hood itself is rust bubbling under the paint. They opened the hood and the whole underside edge of the hood is bubbling with rust. They said it had to be replaced to get all the rust out of there are its inside the edge of the hood skin that the factory folds over to the shell.
I can understand rust spots from a rock chip or something like that but this is pathetic. I took it to the dealer who wants the shop forman to look at it before they decide if its covered.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Same problem with my 2014 SRT...

Aluminum hood, aluminum core... Dielectric reaction.

BS.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Doesn't the reaction occur when two dissimilar metals come in contact? I've got a 10 year old enclosed trailer that's being eaten away everywhere the steel framing touches the aluminum skin. Even the screws are eating away at the aluminum. It's basically a storage shed now because I'm to afraid to run it down the highway.

Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got nothing but the run around from the dealer on this. Wheels have the clear coat peeling off as well. Looks like it's a 6 year old 150,000 versions of my 3 year 33,000 mile Jeep.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the same issue. Took it to the dealer this past week. They took pictures and are sending it to Chrysler/Fiat to determine whether the warranty will cover. They are also checking if it's a complete hood replacement or bodywork to treat the rusted areas.

·
Registered
84 Jeep Scrambler
114 Posts
I have the same issue. Took it to the dealer this past week. They took pictures and are sending it to Chrysler/Fiat to determine whether the warranty will cover. They are also checking if it's a complete hood replacement or bodywork to treat the rusted areas.
I just noticed mine this week too. I haven't taken it to the dealership yet.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Technically it is not rust, it's more like corrosion. That happened to my wife's Sebring convertible. They replaced the hood and put a 'ground strap from the firewall to the hood to eliminate the electrolysis'. :confused::confused:

·
Registered
13 Posts
The dealership got back to me, it took a while but they were waiting on Chrysler.

Chrysler approved for a complete hood replacement and paint job. Will be dropping off the jeep for a week.

Don't accept anything less than a complete hood replacement. The dealership informed me at first it would probably be only approved for bodywork on affected areas. I told them Chrysler has replaced over 200 hoods already with same issues

Everything taken care of under warranty. Will post updates on replacement.

·
Registered
SRT
278 Posts
Thank the wonderful aluminum hoods. Google Ford Mustang and explorer issues and you will see the same thing with their aluminum hoods.

With all the issues you would think they would go to another material, especially since they can't repair the hoods and have to replace them and pay to paint them.

·
Registered
442 Posts
how about some pictures, what and where on the hoods does the corrosion occur?

is it a paint prep issue?

·
Registered
84 Jeep Scrambler
114 Posts
Here's mine. I'm still waiting to hear back from my dealer if Jeep is going to cover it. Automotive exterior Bumper
Auto part Bumper Tire Automotive wheel system Rim
Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Rim Trunk

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They should cover it, very common it seems. My dealer tried to fix mine even after we agreed they would replace it. I'm still waiting to get it replaced but that's my own fault for being busy.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just noticed this same thing at the lead edge of my roof, at the top of the windshield.

I have a '12 with 80+k on it. Would Maxcare or any warranty/recall cover a repair?

·
Registered
Latitude X
933 Posts
Thank the wonderful aluminum hoods. Google Ford Mustang and explorer issues and you will see the same thing with their aluminum hoods.

With all the issues you would think they would go to another material, especially since they can't repair the hoods and have to replace them and pay to paint them.
^^^This!
Add the Ford Five Hundred to that list also. :D

A grounding strap from hood to body seems to correct the situation.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have the same issue with my jeep. I had it in at the dealer the other day and they obtained approval from FCA to repair. I didn't think to ask about replacement vs. repair so I will give them a call on this. The other question is do I have to worry about paint matching? Should I have them repaint more than the hood to make it look properly?

·
formerly 14summithemi
3,852 Posts
I have the same issue with my jeep. I had it in at the dealer the other day and they obtained approval from FCA to repair. I didn't think to ask about replacement vs. repair so I will give them a call on this. The other question is do I have to worry about paint matching? Should I have them repaint more than the hood to make it look properly?
totally known issue, is it inside-out corrosion covered under the 5 yr corrosion warranty...do not accept "body" repair, only hood replacement, that is the standard fix as FCA/dealer know it will come back...it's such a problem that hoods are periodically on backorder...u can ask about fender blending but they r under no obligation to do that as part of the corrosion warranty. If, however, u were still within the 3/36 you could force that.

don't know your paint color but the metallics r a beotch to match due to the difference in how the spray bot lays down the paint (ie the flecks) and how the dealer body shop hand sprayer does it...u might get lucky, u might not...I didn't get lucky on my '14 Summit when they replaced the separating fender flares on my red crystal metallic...they ended up looking like dark eybrow "liner" around my wells...

My non-metallic, white SRT hood was an easy match tho :)

I had very initial stages of the bubbling on mine and got it replaced no problem...

good luck

1 - 20 of 69 Posts