Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

· 4WL TREK-er — so many trails, so little time
2016 JGC CRD 3.0 V6
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The experiment continues. With the wisdom gained here I’m renting a much smaller trailer for a January weekend trip. This time it will be a 20’ Jay Feather trailer; 3,000lbs dry weight. I just reserved it.

Automotive parking light Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

· Registered
2016 WK2 Limited Diesel
7 Posts
I'm glad to hear your large trailer experience went well. I have an identical WK2 down to the year. I'd be a bit intimidated to pull a 29', but I find my 19' to be a great experience. That 20' Jay Feather will be an easier pull for sure.

Since you seem to be trying trailers out and looking for ideas and input.
If you get the chance, see if you can try out a small tandem axle travel trailer. The tandem axle tracks like a dream, and you don't have to worry so much about overloading the trailer with gear and supplies. I have a 5800# gross trailer weight and about 2500# cargo capacity. I don't ever load it that much, but I like not worrying about overloading or even stressing the trailer. We like to get out a ways and often find ourselves without hookups, so I can fill up the water tank along the way and not have to worry about being overweight. I'm usually in the 3800#-4500# range and have a weight distributing and sway control hitch. Tandem axle also gets you twice the braking power. I also like the 19' because I can usually fit in a double space in a parking lot. It's also short enough to get into just about any camp ground.

Mine is also 7' wide which makes driving everywhere a lot easier, especially mountain roads, and also keeps the frontal area down. Though, I will admit that 7' loses a fair bit of interior space, and I don't have a slide out either. For the two of us, we make it work just fine. I'd consider a slide out, but not having one also means it never leaks and never breaks.

Damn, now I want to hit the road.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Car

2016 JGC CRD 3.0 V6
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks for the tip, Byron. Yes I am trying out trailers, and plan to rent different sizes to try them out. My wife want a fan of that 29 footer, mostly because the interior decor was dark and gloomy and reminded her of the 1970s.

Good tip about tandem axles. I’ll keep that in mind.

Personally, right now I’m thinking of small. Maybe a teardrop. In terms of what I think I’d buy.

2016 JGC CRD 3.0 V6
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
On the interstate just now in Palo Alto CA, I just passed someone towing a nucamp TAB 400 teardrop trailer and it looks really nice. The web page is here,

That’s a potential candidate for me.

2016 JGC CRD 3.0 V6
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
I love the aerodynamic streamlining of teardrop-shaped trailers, and the departure angle on that trailer looks quite good. I looked at that carefully as I passed the trailer. I took some photos. Will share when I get the chance.

2016 JGC CRD 3.0 V6
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
More — they even have a boondock option for the trailer that includes:

15″ Sport Rims
Aggressive Off-Road Tires
Boondock Entry Handle & Graphics
Heavy-Duty Entry Door Step
Pitched Axle
Aluminum Utility Platform

Up to now I’ve been a fan of the Taxa Mantis, but I’ll have to give this one serious consideration.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts