Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had some snow and ice on the roof of my jeep. Small patch in the center of the roof. Figured it would melt. Went for a drive and as im slowing down, the ice patch slides off the roof down the windshield.

Now there is a nice long scratch in my windshield. Very frustrating! I should have cleaned that patch off and i didnt. The scratch is about a foot long and you can feel it with your fingernail. Its right infront of the driverside. Its right in my view and very annoying. Any way to fix this? Can the windshield start cracking now?

·
Registered
WK2 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Sport Utility 3.6
116 Posts
interesting.. I would first try some baking soda and a nice cloth.. mix baking soda with water to get a nice thick paste, and then rub gently on the scratch, it should remove it.. hopefully.. unless its cracked..

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
If you can't feel the scratch with your finger nail it could be salvageable by buffing it out with certain buffing compounds.

On the other hand, if the scratch is deep enough that the finger nail can feel it your best bet is a new windshield.

Been there experienced not the same but a similar thing with my XJ.
Was driving behind a muddy farm tractor throwing mud all over the place.
Pulled into a gas station and proceeded to wipe/clean off the windshield from that tractors thrown of mud.
Problem was when i cleaned the wind shield that tractor's mud was abrasive enough to totally scratch the wind shield beyond any repair.
I tried like hell to buff out the scratches and save the windshield.
Ended up replacing it with a new wind shield for about $300.

Might want to take it to an auto glass replacement shop and get their opinion.
If lucky, they might be able to buff out the scratch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts