Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got hit by a flying pipe on the highway, now have some scratches that were not able to be buffed out. Can I use touch up paint? Which kind? Any advice is welcome.

·
Registered
96 Posts
A) be patient in your repair
B) check out You Tube for helpful directions
C) carefully check out the many quality paint repair kits at auto parts stores.
You’ll do fine, just take your time ( no pun intended)

·
Registered
2014 Limited
129 Posts
You can’t a PDR kit of amazon, it’ll help you pull the ding’s out, get a kit with the hot glues slide puller and as jDurkin said take your time. Make sure you warm the paint first with a heat gun or hair dryer so that it doesn’t crack when you pull it. So far as the scratches try polishing them out first with a DA polisher, some medium cut and final cut and be careful nut to go too fast prolly no more 3 on dial. Then get your touch up paint, shake well and start applying light coats. Don’t spray it, use the brush end and slowly add layers over several days, I like to coat layer’s about every hour until you build up a raised surface, like a pimple of paint. Don’t rush to glob it on, light application’s dry faster and harder.Then get some emery paper or sand paper 800-1000 grit and wrap it on a small sanding pad or something that’ll will fit the contour and lightly sand it flush. Don’t use your fingertips you’ll dig into the repair. Polish it up and repeat if necessary. Then you can apply the clear coat and polish that up also. Good luck and if you need any advice let me know.

·
Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee Altitude
85 Posts
I’d use my insurance and have that damage professionally repaired. This will be covered under your comprehension coverage and shouldn’t effect your rates.

·
Registered
2014 Limited
129 Posts
And that’s always a great idea too..,Unless you wanted to do it yourself, and if “collided” with something while driving it’s considered a collision and it get’s reported on your vin#.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Maybe i'm the only one here but for the life of me from those pics i can't tell exactly where those scratches are on the vehicle.
Best i can tell its some chrome, aluminum or stainless trim piece?
If it is some kind of trim piece, just get another one and call it a day.

I've done a lot of body repairs and painting and maybe i could help for a possible DIY if i knew exactly what and where those scratches were on your vehicle.

Reactions: ColoCoug

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
1,896 Posts
If it was me I'd first try polish, not wax, polishing compound for clear coat and see if I could polish out the 'white'. If the white polished out I'd forget about doing more. If the the white didn't polish out I'd get a bottle of touch up paint and touch up the white marks... and forget about doing more. Just personal choice but it's so low on the door and on the passenger side that once the white is gone it essentially unnoticeable unless you go looking for it.

·
Registered
JGC
181 Posts
Agree with jimntempe. I had two 12"+ scratches on my passenger door that were as bad or worse than those on your door above the crease. I used my porter cable and did compound with cutting pad, then polish with light cutting pad, and then wax. One line has disappeared and the other is only noticeable if you're looking for it or in the right lighting. The one you have below the crease may be more difficult to do, but you should be able to blend it in and then you'll need PDR for the dent. Or wait to buff until PDR'd on that one. Mine were high on the door and with yours being so low, as said above, they shouldn't really be noticeable.
That said, if your agent/adjuster says it will be comprehensive vs. collision, and your deductible is small or money is no object, then let a body shop fix it and the insurance pay for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts