Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Security Alarm Question

23K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Countrygent 
#1 ·
Reading the manual for my 2012 Overland security system ,I did not think there was any form of movement detector in the car (e.g. ultrasonic detector) but only monitoring of doors, windows etc. However, while travelling, left my small dog in car for 10 minutes (cool night!) and locked car. Alarm went off after a couple of minutes so I'm assuming there is a movement detector. Does anyone know?
Second, on my Lexus, which did have an internal detector there was a capability to turn off just that detector with other features armed when leaving the car. Anyone know if this is possible. No mentions in the manual so looking for advice.

#2 ·
Yes it does have detector/s. I knew but forgot about it but it came back to me when one early morning I placed my hands and backpack through the open window (in the garage) and it went off.

Haven't seen her heard of a way to turn off the sensor but recall someone saying it doesn't activate if the car is locked via the key. Might want to try it out first without the dog inside though - just leave a window open.

#4 ·
I can confirm that locking the vehicle with a key does not arm the alarm and a dog can be left in the car. You have to lock rear doors then front passenger door and finally drivers door otherwise others will unlock when you touch drivers door if you have RKE.

#5 ·
Hi,
I have a 2012 JGC and trying to understand the alarm setup.
I have a key fob with 3 written sections, unlock, lock and remote boot access. Does anyone have a different key fob to mine.
How can I set alarm and /or switch off if an alarm is activated.

I asked dealer about remote start etc but was advised export australian models don't have remote start and key fob is not what is stated in the manual.
Any assistance or advice would be appreciated.

Regards
Strategy

#6 ·
All the overlands and Limited (with optional auto boot) have the same remote. The Laredo and limited (without auto boot) do not have that extra boot button.
To arm the alarm, lock the car, to disarm, unlock the car. If the alarm goes off, unlock the car.
There are no keys to turn the alarm off, it is integrated into the car. This is fairly common with newer cars. I am not sure how to deactivate the alarm, on my FPV you needed to turn the ignition on, then disconnect the battery.

#7 ·
To Enforcer,
Thanks for the heads up on the alarm.The key fob with remote start and panic alarm must be for US markets only. My Overland instructions manual regarding key fob doesn't seem to relate clearly for us here in Aus or I may be reading it incorrectly
Thanks again
regards
Strategy

#8 ·
The most annoying thing about remote start is it can work here, but you need a dealer to enable it in the ECU.
For some stupid reason they think it is illegal to have remote start. Apparently it is not illegal, as you cannot drive the remote started car, it will not shift out of park. You must have the fob for that. The remote start kit is about $300 from the USA.

#9 ·
Sup guys,

I'm not sure if the question is "how to disable the alarm", or if the question is "how to disable the sensor inside the vehicle when the alarm is on"..

If your question is how to disable the alarm then Download the jeep grand Cherokee app on your mobile phone then from the app home menu choose

Vehicle operation
Getting started
Theft alarm

Scroll about half way where it states "to disarm". It's a bit of a pain to do this bit obviously Jeep has done this on purpose to slow down thieves.

If you are looking to keep the alarm on and disable the sensor inside I don't believe that this is possible.

Hope that helps, if not the jeep app is pretty cool.

#11 ·
I copied this straight from the app in regards to the alarm

To Arm:
Keyless Enter-N-Go button installed (Vehicles Equipped With Engine Start/Stop Button)

Press the Keyless Enter-N-Go Start/Stop button until the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) indicates that the vehicle ignition is “OFF”. Press the power door lock switch while the door is open, press the Key Fob LOCK button, or with one of the Key Fobs located outside the vehicle and within 5 ft (1.5 m) of the driver's and passenger front door handles, press the Keyless Enter-N-Go LOCK button located on the door handle.

Keyless Enter-N-Go button not installed (Vehicles Equipped With Ignition Switch)

Turn the ignition switch to the “OFF” position. Press the power door lock switch while the door is open, press the Key Fob LOCK button, or with one of the Key Fobs located outside the vehicle and within 5 ft (1.5 m) of the driver's and passenger front door handles, press the Keyless Enter-N-Go LOCK button located on the door handle.

Note:
After pressing the Keyless Enter-N-Go LOCK button, you must wait 2 seconds before you can lock or unlock the vehicle via the door handle.

To Disarm:
Keyless Enter-N-Go button installed (Vehicles Equipped With Engine Start/Stop Button)

Press the Key Fob UNLOCK button or with one of the Key Fobs located outside the vehicle and within 5 ft (1.5 m) of the driver's and passenger front door handles, grab the Keyless Enter-N-Go door handle and enter the vehicle, then press the Keyless Enter-N-Go Engine Start/Stop button (requires at least one valid Key Fob in the vehicle).

Keyless Enter-N-Go button not installed (Vehicles Equipped With Ignition Switch)

Press the Key Fob UNLOCK button or with one of the Key Fobs located outside the vehicle and within 5 ft (1.5 m) of the driver's and passenger front door handles, grab the Keyless Enter-N-Go door handle and enter the vehicle, then turn the ignition to the ON/RUN position.

#12 ·
I hope some of the posts above help you figure it out or give you a better explanation of the alarm Ross51. If not sorry to hijack your thread

#13 ·
Thanks for the explanation Juan. My issue was more "how to avoid activating the internal movement sensor when the system is armed?".
By locking with the key, I am not arming the system but securing the car and I figure with a dog inside no one will break in anyway!

#14 ·
I see yea I thought that may have been what you were asking. Wouldn't it be better to disarm the alarm and lock the vehicle, instead of keeping the dog in there with the doors unlocked ? Just a thought

#20 ·
I bought a Mopar one, but never got it to work. Evidently you have to replace the steering lock at the same time and have both the WIN module and steering lock programmed at the same time, and even then the dealer couldn't guarantee that it would work.

Flashlogic do an aftermarket one but in the end I never bothered...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.