Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I think this is what I think it this is, that didn't take long!

Race cool down mode is back on the table for us!

"The first 2018 model got Tazed yesterday, with our all new product the "Double Bypass". Installation only took 5 minutes. Not only will this be used to give 2018+ support, This product can be used for any 2015+ if they want to put any obd II in the trunk.
The "Double Bypass" will be available soon! Be sure to look for an announcement in the coming weeks
PATENT PENDING"

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
Mmm interesting... Thanks for the info

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Security gateway module secures against external attacks (the obd port, emergency assistance and radio) from the vehicles network.

There is a star connector (similar to an Ethernet switch) that sits behind the security gateway that connects all the vehicle modules together. I believe the double bypass kit has a factory connection that plugs into the star connector, and power and ground taps for a 2nd obd port.

The cars appear have two star connectors, in dash and trunk. The SUV's have one under the hood and in the dash.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Wow, that WAS fast!

Awesome though, and I love the fact that it also splits the connection so now you can just mount the Tazer in the trunk and leave it there without giving up your main OBDII connection.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Offer has been made by Z autotech:

So who’s going to bring the first trackhawk to my shop on Long Island for a Double Bypass and Tazer/BurnBox fitment and test? Freebie for whoever does. I can’t wait to see one of these beasts;)

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
Offer has been made by Z autotech:

So who’s going to bring the first trackhawk to my shop on Long Island for a Double Bypass and Tazer/BurnBox fitment and test? Freebie for whoever does. I can’t wait to see one of these beasts;)

I will bring mine to Demon Performance if they are willing as soon as I receive it and let them R/D it ....

Reactions: SpeedRacer333

·
Registered
2018 Durango SRT
1 Posts
Sorry I just found this while looking for a was to get a OBD2 flasher on my 2018 Durango SRT. Who’s making this? And if someone has a link to where I can get updates. I have a Z Auto taser for my wife’s charger, are they the one making it? Or what’s going on? Lol thanks

·
Premium Member
639 Posts

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Does anyone know if the Double Bypass works with a 2015 JC Overland?
No, this bypass is only used to get access to the 2018 ECU via an OBD port. (IE, flashing with a handheld tuner).

All ECUs 2015 or newer (including the 2018) require the ECU to be unlocked first.

Essentially, 2014 and older, handheld flash is possible.

2015 ~ 2017, ECU must be unlocked (either send off stock ECU or buy a spare) before tuning by handheld is possible.

2018 requires BOTH this double bypass AND the unlocking of the ECU.

·
Registered
2018 WK2
4 Posts
I purchased a set of AMP Research Auto deploying running boards, but do not work with the stock ODBII port under the dash. Would this "double bypass" create a redundant ODBII port without the security such that the running board controller could access the CAN door open/close signals? (fingers crossed) And then, if it could, do you sell this modification separately?

Mahalo

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
I purchased a set of AMP Research Auto deploying running boards, but do not work with the stock ODBII port under the dash. Would this "double bypass" create a redundant ODBII port without the security such that the running board controller could access the CAN door open/close signals? (fingers crossed) And then, if it could, do you sell this modification separately?

Mahalo
I can't say for sure (just a customer, not the engineer / owner behind the module) but with my understanding on how this works, yes it should correct your problem as well.

Yes it is sold desperately. https://zautomotive.com/product/double-bypass/

I would say for that price its worth trying, if it doesn't work, re-sell it here on the forum, you will get most of it back.

Reactions: toddux

·
Registered
2018 WK2
4 Posts
I can't say for sure (just a customer, not the engineer / owner behind the module) but with my understanding on how this works, yes it should correct your problem as well.

Yes it is sold desperately. https://zautomotive.com/product/double-bypass/

I would say for that price its worth trying, if it doesn't work, re-sell it here on the forum, you will get most of it back.
This is the best news I've heard all month!

My truck missed the boat and will be delayed another 11 days. fml But I think I may have the only JGC High Altitude on Oahu! There are only 2 dealerships and mine had never ordered one before. Extra Special Joy Joy!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Does anyone know where the STAR connector access box is in our jeeps?

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
I contacted support asking for the location as well! (Still waiting to hear back). I have the double bypass already, it looks like a good product and easy to install, but it might be something a little more in our vehicles.

I think this it the location of our access box:
http://www.smartstopstart.com/uploa...redo_altitude_sxt_instructions_sw_ver_2.3.pdf

Which means we'll need a longer wire to reach the fuse box under the hood.

They also say to remove fuse 37 in the instructions, but I think that's a different fuse in the JGC, so we need to figure out what fuse that is too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I contacted support asking for the location as well! (Still waiting to hear back). I have the double bypass already, it looks like a good product and easy to install, but it might be something a little more in our vehicles.

I think this it the location of our access box:
http://www.smartstopstart.com/uploa...redo_altitude_sxt_instructions_sw_ver_2.3.pdf

Which means we'll need a longer wire to reach the fuse box under the hood.

They also say to remove fuse 37 in the instructions, but I think that's a different fuse in the JGC, so we need to figure out what fuse that is too.
Nice find!

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Update!

It seems that the double bypass can be used, but they recommend using the normal bypass device: https://zautomotive.com/product/bypass-module/ (much easier installation)

It installs near the the current OBDII port as that's where the security gateway is. I'm getting the devices swapped out and will report back as soon as I have it installed!

Reactions: Daniel454

·
Registered
27 Posts
Update!

It seems that the double bypass can be used, but they recommend using the normal bypass device: https://zautomotive.com/product/bypass-module/ (much easier installation)

It installs near the the current OBDII port as that's where the security gateway is. I'm getting the devices swapped out and will report back as soon as I have it installed!
They told me the opposite last week and sold me the double bypass.

I’m not sure they know

·
Registered
27 Posts
I temporarily wired in the double bypass tonight with the star connectors behind the dash. Powered off the battery jump start posts. Disabled the DRL drop and removed everything. Took me about half an hour

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.