Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
I temporarily wired in the double bypass tonight with the star connectors behind the dash. Powered off the battery jump start posts. Disabled the DRL drop and removed everything. Took me about half an hour

Awesome, so that means the double bypass works, right? What were you using to do the programming (their Tazer)?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Awesome, so that means the double bypass works, right? What were you using to do the programming (their Tazer)?
Yes the tazer. It’s not the best solution I think they want the Jeep to use the regular bypass now but they haven’t said where to plug it in. I was just interested in the DRL drop so it did what I needed

Reactions: Daniel454

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Received the bypass module yesterday day and got it installed.

It's easy to install if you know what you're looking for! (I thought it was on the driver's side, tore into everything in the lower dash with no luck. Then found out it was on the passenger side---way easier!)

Was able to view/modify a few settings that are currently available for the 2018's using AppcarDiagFCA. So far so good!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Received the bypass module yesterday day and got it installed.

It's easy to install if you know what you're looking for! (I thought it was on the driver's side, tore into everything in the lower dash with no luck. Then found out it was on the passenger side---way easier!)

Was able to view/modify a few settings that are currently available for the 2018's using AppcarDiagFCA. So far so good!
Please elaborate....... what did you/can you change? How? What is AppcarDiagFCA??

Details please!

Thanks

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Here is the link for the appcar software:
https://appcar-diagfca.com/en/

The creator says they can do more than the Tazer, but they haven't verified/tested everything on the 2018 models yet. (A few of the settings still said Beta for me, so I haven't messed with them yet.)

I'm still getting use to the software and its features, but it looks like there is potential to change a lot!

·
Registered
27 Posts
So you just plugged the bypass into that port and it unlocked the obd port?

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
So you just plugged the bypass into that port and it unlocked the obd port?

Yes! According to Zauto, it just bypasses the security gateway all together. So if you need to take it in for service or something, disconnect the bypass and put it back to normal before you go in!

The double bypass gives you another OBD port, 1 that uses the security gateway, and 1 that bypasses it. (I think that's my understanding)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes! According to Zauto, it just bypasses the security gateway all together. So if you need to take it in for service or something, disconnect the bypass and put it back to normal before you go in!

The double bypass gives you another OBD port, 1 that uses the security gateway, and 1 that bypasses it. (I think that's my understanding)
I may pick one up. I had to modify the double bypass to work. Thanks for locating where the single bypass plugs in.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Let me get this straight.......... is this correct??

To bypass the firewall built into the OBD2 port all 2018 WK2's one can purchase a Z-Automotive Single bypass; https://zautomotive.com/product/bypass-module/

This module plugs into a connector found in the passenger side footwell of our 2018 WK2's as per ckellyusa.
Once installed there, the security gateway is now disabled on our OBD2 ports found in the drivers side footwell?? Now we have the ability to communicate to the ECM and/or any other modules found in our Grands??

Thanks for your responses.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Raptor, yes, to bypass the SGW on the 2018 WK2s, you purchase the bypass module from zautomotive.

Then to be able to make changes, you need the Tazer from zautomotive or AppcarDiagFCA.

If you're wanting to do tuning, the PCM still has to be unlocked.

·
Premium Member
Trackhawk
135 Posts
Hey Ckelly,
Any updates on your testing of this software and the security bypass module?
Can we get rid of those pesky weather alerts?
The wheel diameter adjustment sounds interesting. Might allow us to run different tires in the back than the front...
What have you done with it?
Cheers, bob

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
So the image below shows the only programmable items for the 2018's so far and most of them are still in Beta. The whole Radio section is grayed out in the diagnostics tab, so I can't check if there would be other options there.

I've only successfully changed the rear turn signals amber and made the Fog Lights stay on with high beams. I haven't tried the Performance pages enable yet since it's in Beta and I'm not sure how to program the DRL's during the Beta phase. The developer is updating the app, I'm just not sure of their timetable. I'm still optimistic though!

Reactions: Scottina06

·
Registered
143 Posts
I got my under the glove box bypass module and installed it. Hooked up my scan only tool and it works....... BUT I have trouble code UTS=1 with U0001 AND the check engine light is on constant. My scan tool can not clear the code. Looks like I'm gonna have to put it back to the way it came from the factory.

Any suggestions? Thanks,

·
Registered
143 Posts
Took the TH for a drive and shut it down. Restarted and engine check light went out. Disappointed as the Ultra gauge scan tool had engine parameters that the gauges above center console do not show (tps % - fuel pressure - timing advance). Oh well, I tried. I suppose I could use it with the check engine light on all the time, but I think it would drive me nuts.

Gonna return the Bypass Module.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I just ordered a Tazer bundle (w/bypass block) and the double bypass. I don't intend to use the bypass block - instead using the double bypass as I would like the added security of the firewall from Uconnect.

Rolly: Not sure if you disconnected the battery before breaking the CAN network, but the code could have been generated when the security gateway module was disconnected and not due to the bypass module. If not, did you start/drive and turn off the car with the bypass module installed to see if the CEL would clear?

·
Registered
143 Posts
SpeedRacer333;

No, I didn't disconnect the battery before installing the Bypass Module. I did start and run multiple times with the bypass in place, but didn't take it for a drive.

GOOD IDEA - thank you. I will retry again at a later date. You would think if disconnecting the battery was a BIGGY, there would have been some sort of directions stating so......... naw, that's too damn logical!

Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Big THANKS SpeedRacer333...... pulling the battery cable worked!

Started it up with bypass module installed without scan tool attached. All was well. Shut it down, connected scan tool, started vehicle and trouble code was back. I unplugged scan tool, started it with no check engine light, then connected scan tool and it now works with NO check engine light and no trouble codes. I have restarted it multiple times since and it works as it should.

THANK YOU!

21 - 40 of 48 Posts