Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2011 4X4 JGC with the 3.6L engine. The parts manual lists two different serpentine belt part numbers - 05184646AC and 05184647AB [XXE]. Does anyone know what the difference is between them? What does the [XXE] designation mean? I googled it with no luck, the OEM parts websites say that both belts will fit, which I don't think is true. Can anyone help?

·
Administrator
9,281 Posts
The 05184647AB is for 2011 models with Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering. Jeep switched from a mechanical power steering pump to EHPS in the middle of the 2011 model year. You may have to check your build sheet to verify, or you may also be able to tell by the build date (early vs late build).

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked my build sheet, all it says is " SBAS - power rack and pinion steering ", and my build date was 10/11/2010. So I'm still not sure which power steering system I have based on that information. Would the build sheet say EHPS if it was the electro-hydraulic power steering?

·
Administrator
9,281 Posts
Both systems will show "SBAS". If you have the electro-hydraulic it will also show "XXEP Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering". Most likely you do not have it as yours was an early build 2011.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After more research, a VIN check, and talking to a dealer's parts department, it turns out that I have the mechanical power steering pump. Unfortunately the owner's manual I received with the vehicle, the 5th edition, published June 2011, states that I have the electro-hydraulic power steering and it lists the incorrect power steering fluid for the system that I actually have. It should, according to the dealer, be Mopar ATF+4, not Mopar hydraulic fluid MS-1165. That is definitely an issue when you follow the owners manual as closely as I do. I hope that others with 2011's will see this post and take heed of this mistake by Jeep. It could be very costly, as the two fluids are not interchangeable. Just another reason to sour my feelings toward the Jeep brand.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,822 Posts
After more research, a VIN check, and talking to a dealer's parts department, it turns out that I have the mechanical power steering pump. Unfortunately the owner's manual I received with the vehicle, the 5th edition, published June 2011, states that I have the electro-hydraulic power steering and it lists the incorrect power steering fluid for the system that I actually have. It should, according to the dealer, be Mopar ATF+4, not Mopar hydraulic fluid MS-1165. That is definitely an issue when you follow the owners manual as closely as I do. I hope that others with 2011's will see this post and take heed of this mistake by Jeep. It could be very costly, as the two fluids are not interchangeable. Just another reason to sour my feelings toward the Jeep brand.
Did you consider looking at the Accessory Section of the engine and check each pulley till you found a PS Pump or NOT? Or following the lines from the Reservoir down to the pump and see if the pump is mounted on the engine and Accessory Drive Belt or unit not mounted on the engine with an electric motor.

If you have the engine driven PS pump, you should use ATF+4.
If you have the electric motor driven PS pump (Electro-Hydraulic), then you should use Mopar Electric PS Pump Fluid MS-11655.
I think that is what you were saying, but going back and forth between how confusing it was, it got confusing as to the fluid as well.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Once I researched it further it became obvious that I had the pulley driven, mechanical power steering pump since the electro-hydraulic pump is not connected to the serpentine belt at all. Up until a couple of days ago I was completely in the dark about the whole situation. This all came to light when I decided to replace the serpentine belt and noticed that there were two different part numbers for the 2011 3.6L engine. I got the right belt and installed it yesterday, very easy to do. The different fluids are an issue when the owner's manual is calling for one type and it's actually the other one. I hope I'm the only one that made this mistake, live and learn I guess.

·
Registered
2012 Jeep GC Limited
685 Posts
Just want to quickly add to this discussion in case anyone else is researching the serpentine belt topic.

Mine is a 2012 JGC with 3.6L engine. I do have the "XXEP Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering" option listed in my build sheet. The dealer parts guy gave me the part number 5184647AB for the belt and 5281301AA for the idler pulley.
The prices for both were more than double than you would find online and he suggested I buy them online.

Cheers!
-A

1 - 8 of 8 Posts