Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 Overland with 62k miles. Service Four Wheel Drive System light popped up just before I left town and quickly went away. When I got back it came on the dash and is now fully on. It drives fine with no symptoms that I can tell.

I plan on doing a more in-depth search of the forums, but was hoping someone could chime in quickly on what it could be or point me in a direction before I make an appointment to have it looked at.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
When the service light is on, do you hear a chatter or clicking if your roll down the windows when the truck is in gear? I had this happen at around 73K miles on my '15.

Mine too started sporadically like yours, then remained on constantly. It turned out to be the computer that controls the transfer case took a dump. It was covered under the power-train warranty.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,401 Posts
If the Service 4WD system light is on, there should be a code stored in the module. Reading the codes would do a lot to narrow down the potential problem. Unfortunately this is part of the proprietary codes, an inexpensive OBDII reader can't read these codes. You local autostore typically is just using a cheap OBDII scanner when they read your codes, don't count on them finding a code, even though one is there.

There is a thread about FCA Software for Diagnosis, perhaps that could read the proprietary codes. My experience, all the scanner are very vague in their advertising and fall short of expectations when you actually buy them. I haven't tried the FCA software, from some of thing I've read and people have said, it might show at least some of the proprietary codes.

·
Registered
104 Posts
As in my 9/13 post I had an serv 4wd light, abs and traction control lights come on at start and found when this happened my 4wd was not working. Shutting off the engine then restarting resulted in the lights going off and the 4WD becoming functional.

Based on earlier posts the cause could have been:

- a faulty transfer case switch
- a faulty transfer case control module
- a faulty transfer case motor
- with a limited slip differential, a faulty rear axle motor

In my case my dealer pulled a code indicating a faulty abs speed control sensor on the left front wheel. I replaced the sensor and all is now working properly.

As the error code was not an OB2 code you need a dealer to scan for a code then go from there.

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When the service light is on, do you hear a chatter or clicking if your roll down the windows when the truck is in gear? I had this happen at around 73K miles on my '15.

Mine too started sporadically like yours, then remained on constantly. It turned out to be the computer that controls the transfer case took a dump. It was covered under the power-train warranty.
Thank you for the reply.

Mine just started making this noise over the weekend. Looking at PowerTrain Warranty, it was up as of 8/11/18. Waiting to hear back on diagnostics and will go from there.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Help Needed: The dealer is trying to tell me that they need to replace both the electronic motor as well as the module and are quoting me $2,600.00. Stating the failure of the electronic motor is what caused the module to fail.

That seems quite excessive and a money grab for parts. Thoughts?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Help Needed: The dealer is trying to tell me that they need to replace both the electronic motor as well as the module and are quoting me $2,600.00. Stating the failure of the electronic motor is what caused the module to fail.

That seems quite excessive and a money grab for parts. Thoughts?
On second thought, I'm going to buy the Transfer Case Motor and replace it myself.

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
FYI, the FSM says:
New shift motor assemblies are shipped in the NEUTRAL position. If a new shift motor assembly must be installed, it will be necessary to shift the transfer case to the NEUTRAL position prior to motor installation.
and
Before installing the shift motor onto the transfer case, make certain that the shift motor shaft aligns with the transfer case worm shaft accordingly.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey everyone, just closing the loop here. So I took it to the dealer as stated above, they quoted me $2,600.00 for a new Transfer Case, Transfer Case Motor, and Transfer Case Control Module. When I asked what had happened, they told me that the TC was binding up causing the motor/module to fail. This didn't sound right, but lets play along.

When I asked them if they would contact FCM about the Powertrain Warranty because that seemed a bit excessive as it was only 2 months beyond the 5 year mark and well below the 100k mark, they told me that there was no way FCM would cover it and even tried to state that the warranty wouldn't have covered it which was a lie.

When I told them it was still too expensive and I would need a second opinion, they came back with a proposal and this is where it got really fishy. They told me if I was willing to replace 2 Engine Mounts and do a differential fluid flush on both front and rear they would waive the cost to replace the other parts. Cost: $1,600. When something seems too good to be true, it usually is. How could a dealer offer me $2,600 in parts/service if I was willing to pay the regular price of $1,600 for engine mounts/fluid flush? They would have been better off telling me they'd cut the $2,600 down to $1,600 and call it a day.

Instead, now knowing my WK2 was fully out of warranty, I decided a second opinion and some research was necessary. The truck was still driveable although I would be careful with it. The dealer told me it was a one-time offer and that I'd be back and they couldn't guarantee the same offer would be available.

I hit up the forums here as well as spoke to a coworker who just happens to also have a WK2 (still under warranty). He has a shop at his house, so I guess I've found my new place to work on the Jeep if needed.

Pricing out the parts vs what the dealer quoted me, I decided to take a phased approach. I would start by replacing the Transfer Case Motor with a brand new one first, and then go down the line. Even if I ended up replacing the TC itself, I figured I would still save money.

I replaced the TC Motor, which unfortunately did not fix the light. I was still getting a clicking sound every time I shifted in or out of gear as well as turned the wheel at a stop. It would occasionally bind up when slowly turning near full lock (turning in/out of parking spaces) and then would break free. The light would be off initially upon start up and for the first few minutes of driving, but would turn on again at highway speeds.

I'll admit I wasn't the quickest to order the next part (TC Module), but I did begin sourcing one. While doing this, the behavior of the Service 4WD light changed. Instead of ticking and binding up, the light was on upon start up and remained on all the time with no ticking or binding up.

New TC Modules require flashing by guess who? The dealer of course. Researching this I discovered that it's not VIN specific flash, I would just need to source a used one that matches the year/options. Off to Ebay. Found one for $200 that came from a parts vehicle, 2014 Overland. I decided to give it a try.

Replaced the TC Module (under the drivers seat) by removing the fuse first and then plug and play with the module, and all is back to normal. No Service 4WD light and it drives perfectly normal.

Total Cost - $609.00
Total Time - 45 Minutes
Difficulty - 3.5 - Overall it was pretty simple, but anyone not comfortable crawling under a vehicle might be a little uneasy. If you've ever replaced anything under the vehicle, this couldn't have been more simple and straight forward. The Module was plug and play, like adding a new fan to your computer tower.

One thing I did notice was that both parts seemed to be newer versions. I can grab part numbers if anyone would like them.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm in Scottsdale too. Just curious, is your dealer located on Frank LLoyd Wright?
Haha! I used to go to that one, but their SA's and shuttle service is sub par. I gave the one off of Indian School a shot. They're friendly, the shuttle service is fast, and they offer loaner service, but someone's gotta fit the extra bill and that's the consumer.

They do seem really concerned about their survey ratings and want to ensure they get "10's" or they'll make it a 10. Still waiting on them to try to make it a 10.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2014 Overland with 62k miles. Service Four Wheel Drive System light popped up just before I left town and quickly went away. When I got back it came on the dash and is now fully on. It drives fine with no symptoms that I can tell.

I plan on doing a more in-depth search of the forums, but was hoping someone could chime in quickly on what it could be or point me in a direction before I make an appointment to have it looked at.

Any help is appreciated.
I know this is 3 years old, but I am looking to see if anyone has the issue still.
Service 4wd light comes on, can’t put into 4wd low.
2014 grand Cherokee limited.
Dealer did transfer case module, and now is recommending transfer case. However.... I realized just today what is triggering it. My “service 4wd” light comes on when I put my manual foot e brake on. I can’t believe that after over a year of the issue, it just clicked today. Has anyone else had same issue?
I can now at least avoid the service 4wd issue, by not using my Ebrake... so my question to the internet....
Does anyone have any idea what electrical relay or component to check that could possibly tie the ebrake use, to disengaging and causing my 4wd light to come on?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also never use forums, so posting a reply and comment as I am not sure if the comment is public or just to the person who I originally added the comment to. Sorry!
I know this is 3 years old, but I am looking to see if anyone has the issue still.
Dealer did transfer case module, and now is recommending transfer case. However.... I realized just today what is triggering it. My “service 4wd” light comes on when I put my manual foot e brake on. I can’t believe that after over a year of the issue, it just clicked today. Has anyone else had same issue?
I can now at least avoid the service 4wd issue, by not using my Ebrake... so my question to the internet....
Does anyone have any idea what electrical relay or component to check that could possibly tie the ebrake use, to disengaging and causing my 4wd light to come on?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,563 Posts
I also never use forums, so posting a reply and comment as I am not sure if the comment is public or just to the person who I originally added the comment to. Sorry!

Thanks!
Can you clarify this. Do you mean that if you are parked with the car running and you simply put your parking brake (emergency brake) on a warning light turns on saying "service 4wd"?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can you clarify this. Do you mean that if you are parked with the car running and you simply put your parking brake (emergency brake) on a warning light turns on saying "service 4wd"?
Yes. Sometimes I have to engage it a few times, or put it into drive from park (not move) simply ebrake on, out from park to drive, “service 4wd” turns on. It is very clearly related to the ebrake being used (manual e brake). I can’t believe it, but it is. I have no idea what is connected between those 2 but if I do not use my ebrake or touch it, service 4wd has not turned on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes. Sometimes I have to engage it a few times, or put it into drive from park (not move) simply ebrake on, out from park to drive, “service 4wd” turns on. It is very clearly related to the ebrake being used (manual e brake). I can’t believe it, but it is. I have no idea what is connected between those 2 but if I do not use my ebrake or touch it, service 4wd has not turned on.
Ok so after testing a lot. It happens every time I have parking brake on, and while it is on I go from park to drive. It only happens rarely (if at all) for simply engaging the parking brake. It seems more that the process of the car going into drive while parking brake is on triggers it. My foot is depressed on the brake pedal the whole time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone, just closing the loop here. So I took it to the dealer as stated above, they quoted me $2,600.00 for a new Transfer Case, Transfer Case Motor, and Transfer Case Control Module. When I asked what had happened, they told me that the TC was binding up causing the motor/module to fail. This didn't sound right, but lets play along.

When I asked them if they would contact FCM about the Powertrain Warranty because that seemed a bit excessive as it was only 2 months beyond the 5 year mark and well below the 100k mark, they told me that there was no way FCM would cover it and even tried to state that the warranty wouldn't have covered it which was a lie.

When I told them it was still too expensive and I would need a second opinion, they came back with a proposal and this is where it got really fishy. They told me if I was willing to replace 2 Engine Mounts and do a differential fluid flush on both front and rear they would waive the cost to replace the other parts. Cost: $1,600. When something seems too good to be true, it usually is. How could a dealer offer me $2,600 in parts/service if I was willing to pay the regular price of $1,600 for engine mounts/fluid flush? They would have been better off telling me they'd cut the $2,600 down to $1,600 and call it a day.

Instead, now knowing my WK2 was fully out of warranty, I decided a second opinion and some research was necessary. The truck was still driveable although I would be careful with it. The dealer told me it was a one-time offer and that I'd be back and they couldn't guarantee the same offer would be available.

I hit up the forums here as well as spoke to a coworker who just happens to also have a WK2 (still under warranty). He has a shop at his house, so I guess I've found my new place to work on the Jeep if needed.

Pricing out the parts vs what the dealer quoted me, I decided to take a phased approach. I would start by replacing the Transfer Case Motor with a brand new one first, and then go down the line. Even if I ended up replacing the TC itself, I figured I would still save money.

I replaced the TC Motor, which unfortunately did not fix the light. I was still getting a clicking sound every time I shifted in or out of gear as well as turned the wheel at a stop. It would occasionally bind up when slowly turning near full lock (turning in/out of parking spaces) and then would break free. The light would be off initially upon start up and for the first few minutes of driving, but would turn on again at highway speeds.

I'll admit I wasn't the quickest to order the next part (TC Module), but I did begin sourcing one. While doing this, the behavior of the Service 4WD light changed. Instead of ticking and binding up, the light was on upon start up and remained on all the time with no ticking or binding up.

New TC Modules require flashing by guess who? The dealer of course. Researching this I discovered that it's not VIN specific flash, I would just need to source a used one that matches the year/options. Off to Ebay. Found one for $200 that came from a parts vehicle, 2014 Overland. I decided to give it a try.

Replaced the TC Module (under the drivers seat) by removing the fuse first and then plug and play with the module, and all is back to normal. No Service 4WD light and it drives perfectly normal.

Total Cost - $609.00
Total Time - 45 Minutes
Difficulty - 3.5 - Overall it was pretty simple, but anyone not comfortable crawling under a vehicle might be a little uneasy. If you've ever replaced anything under the vehicle, this couldn't have been more simple and straight forward. The Module was plug and play, like adding a new fan to your computer tower.

One thing I did notice was that both parts seemed to be newer versions. I can grab part numbers if anyone would like them.
I'm experiencing the exact same problem you had. My 2014 overland has 62k on it. If you can provide the module part number I would be very grateful..

·
Registered
1 Posts

Total Cost - $609.00
Total Time - 45 Minutes

with this issue, do you think I could try just replacing the TC module before replacing the Transfer Case Motor?? I am having an issue with my 2014 jeep cherokee trailhawk...the svc 4wd light is on, but no noise as of yet. Also, it looks like my engine moves when I start my vehicle...should that be?? Could that be part of my problem as well??? My vehicle has about 120k on it and my warranty is over.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,401 Posts
...As the error code was not an OB2 code you need a dealer to scan for a code then go from there.
Yes and No;
Yes, a cheap OBDII scanner will not read these codes, it show there are no codes stored because it is not even looking for codes in other modules other than the engine....
No, your only option is no longer the Dealer,
There are very expensive tools that many independent shops have that can read the codes....
There are less expensive and less capable tools that amateurs can purchase....
The least expensive is now offered by the Manufacturer, FCADiags and AlphaOBD, there are several threads on this.... $50 for the software that requires a computer you already own and $20-$50 for a third party OBDII interface....
with this issue, do you think I could try just replacing the TC module before replacing the Transfer Case Motor?? I am having an issue with my 2014 jeep cherokee trailhawk...the svc 4wd light is on, but no noise as of yet. Also, it looks like my engine moves when I start my vehicle...should that be?? Could that be part of my problem as well??? My vehicle has about 120k on it and my warranty is over.
The Warning Light is telling you that a fault or problem was detected, it could 1 or a 100 things.....
You just start replacing parts until the light goes out, could be a very expensive prospect....
You need to troubleshoot to narrow down to what the specific problem is and fix it....
The first step would be to read the stored fault codes, see above....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys. Had the same issue, service 4wd light comes on after 5 min drive. Clicking sound from underneath, ( can hear with open window). Took to the jeep service center. Transfer control module has been raplaced. Problem solved.
Grand Cherokee WK2 , 2014

1 - 20 of 34 Posts