Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,401 Posts
Hi guys. Had the same issue, service 4wd light comes on after 5 min drive. Clicking sound from underneath, ( can hear with open window). Took to the jeep service center. Transfer control module has been raplaced. Problem solved.
Grand Cherokee WK2 , 2014
I saw a post with a guy with the exact same symptoms, turned out he needed his transfer case replaced.....
So this is something that isn't that easy to diagnose...... ....that is why I keep urging the O.P. to get a 2nd opinion...
But I'm glad your's was the much easier and cheaper module replaced.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey everyone, just closing the loop here. So I took it to the dealer as stated above, they quoted me $2,600.00 for a new Transfer Case, Transfer Case Motor, and Transfer Case Control Module. When I asked what had happened, they told me that the TC was binding up causing the motor/module to fail. This didn't sound right, but lets play along.

When I asked them if they would contact FCM about the Powertrain Warranty because that seemed a bit excessive as it was only 2 months beyond the 5 year mark and well below the 100k mark, they told me that there was no way FCM would cover it and even tried to state that the warranty wouldn't have covered it which was a lie.

When I told them it was still too expensive and I would need a second opinion, they came back with a proposal and this is where it got really fishy. They told me if I was willing to replace 2 Engine Mounts and do a differential fluid flush on both front and rear they would waive the cost to replace the other parts. Cost: $1,600. When something seems too good to be true, it usually is. How could a dealer offer me $2,600 in parts/service if I was willing to pay the regular price of $1,600 for engine mounts/fluid flush? They would have been better off telling me they'd cut the $2,600 down to $1,600 and call it a day.

Instead, now knowing my WK2 was fully out of warranty, I decided a second opinion and some research was necessary. The truck was still driveable although I would be careful with it. The dealer told me it was a one-time offer and that I'd be back and they couldn't guarantee the same offer would be available.

I hit up the forums here as well as spoke to a coworker who just happens to also have a WK2 (still under warranty). He has a shop at his house, so I guess I've found my new place to work on the Jeep if needed.

Pricing out the parts vs what the dealer quoted me, I decided to take a phased approach. I would start by replacing the Transfer Case Motor with a brand new one first, and then go down the line. Even if I ended up replacing the TC itself, I figured I would still save money.

I replaced the TC Motor, which unfortunately did not fix the light. I was still getting a clicking sound every time I shifted in or out of gear as well as turned the wheel at a stop. It would occasionally bind up when slowly turning near full lock (turning in/out of parking spaces) and then would break free. The light would be off initially upon start up and for the first few minutes of driving, but would turn on again at highway speeds.

I'll admit I wasn't the quickest to order the next part (TC Module), but I did begin sourcing one. While doing this, the behavior of the Service 4WD light changed. Instead of ticking and binding up, the light was on upon start up and remained on all the time with no ticking or binding up.

New TC Modules require flashing by guess who? The dealer of course. Researching this I discovered that it's not VIN specific flash, I would just need to source a used one that matches the year/options. Off to Ebay. Found one for $200 that came from a parts vehicle, 2014 Overland. I decided to give it a try.

Replaced the TC Module (under the drivers seat) by removing the fuse first and then plug and play with the module, and all is back to normal. No Service 4WD light and it drives perfectly normal.

Total Cost - $609.00
Total Time - 45 Minutes
Difficulty - 3.5 - Overall it was pretty simple, but anyone not comfortable crawling under a vehicle might be a little uneasy. If you've ever replaced anything under the vehicle, this couldn't have been more simple and straight forward. The Module was plug and play, like adding a new fan to your computer tower.

One thing I did notice was that both parts seemed to be newer versions. I can grab part numbers if anyone would like them.
Running into this very issue with my 2014 overland. Took it to the dealer and they are saying the transfer case needs to be replaced. Quoting me almost $6,000. Pretty much laughed the guy off the phone. They also want to replace the thermostat at $400. Looking around for a second opinion but might give this transfer control module a shot. Will already be replacing the thermostat as that's an easy swap.

Could you share the part number you used for the transfer control module?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Running into this very issue with my 2014 overland. Took it to the dealer and they are saying the transfer case needs to be replaced. Quoting me almost $6,000. Pretty much laughed the guy off the phone. They also want to replace the thermostat at $400. Looking around for a second opinion but might give this transfer control module a shot. Will already be replacing the thermostat as that's an easy swap.

Could you share the part number you used for the transfer control module?
Me too here ,same problem,part number please..

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,401 Posts
New TC Modules require flashing by guess who? The dealer of course. Researching this I discovered that it's not VIN specific flash, I would just need to source a used one that matches the year/options. Off to Ebay. Found one for $200 that came from a parts vehicle, 2014 Overland. I decided to give it a try.
Many electronic modules are shipped "disabled" and must be enabled by the Dealer tools, and they set it up they must be enabled after they are installed...
You can argue its for anti-theft, but considering everything else they do is just to force customers into dealerships....

Some modules, for vehicle anti-theft, need to have the VIN # flashed into them, before the other modules will communicate with it, and if its for Vehicle Anti-Theft, then the vehicle won't start till the VIN # is flashed into the module....

Then there are calibration and maintenance procedures that only the Dealer tools can do, that may be required when replacing a module with a new one....
In the past, they usual build into the module the procedure to calibrate itself on first start, but now a days, especially with this growing into sub-systems, I'm not so sure....
PCM's, a new one used to calibrate the cam/crank relative position on first start, then it was set forever at that calibration, unless you used the Dealer tool to re-calibrate it...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Can faulty tire sensors be the cause of ,...
I boght rims with sensors 2017 & up,without knowing about the sensors,(tire pressure sensors)mine is a 2014 Summit,also i changed fluids in front & rear diffs,& t case ...

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,401 Posts
Can faulty tire sensors be the cause of ,...
I boght rims with sensors 2017 & up,without knowing about the sensors,(tire pressure sensors)mine is a 2014 Summit,also i changed fluids in front & rear diffs,& t case ...
Faulty Tire sensors would just cause the TPMS warning light to light and codes for TPMS problems....
Unless you mess up the fluid change, i.e. to low a level or used the wrong fluid, that resulted in mechanical problems that shouldn't cause the 4WD Service warning....

You need to read the stored fault codes that are causing the warning to light, to even get a clue as to what might be wrong....

·
Registered
236 Posts
Faulty Tire sensors would just cause the TPMS warning light to light and codes for TPMS problems....
Unless you mess up the fluid change, i.e. to low a level or used the wrong fluid, that resulted in mechanical problems that shouldn't cause the 4WD Service warning....

You need to read the stored fault codes that are causing the warning to light, to even get a clue as to what might be wrong....
Well i went & got it diagnosed(Jeep Dealership) rear diff motor,ordered & waiting to come,update will be as soon as i instal it..

·
Registered
3 Posts
[QUOTE = "سبانخ ، مشاركة: 2021129857 ، عضو: 101429"]
2014 أوفرلاند مع 62 ألف ميل. انبثق ضوء نظام الدفع الرباعي للخدمة مباشرة قبل مغادرتي للبلدة وغادرت بسرعة. عندما عدت جاءت على اندفاعة وهي الآن تعمل بالكامل. تسير بشكل جيد مع عدم وجود أعراض أستطيع أن أقولها.

أخطط لإجراء بحث أكثر تعمقًا في المنتديات ، ولكني كنت آمل أن يتمكن شخص ما من الحديث بسرعة عما يمكن أن يكون عليه أو يوجهني في اتجاه قبل أن أحدد موعدًا للنظر فيه.

هو موضع تقدير أي مساعدة.
[/اقتبس]

·
Registered
3 Posts
نظام خدمة الدفع الرباعي "يضيء ويختفي بعد 15 دقيقة أو 60 دقيقة أو يوم واحد من تشغيل المحرك. سيارتي هي GC Overland Summit 2012/2013. أي مساعدة لحل هذه المشكلة

·
Registered
236 Posts
[QUOTE = "سبانخ ، مشاركة: 2021129857 ، عضو: 101429"]
2014 أوفرلاند مع 62 ألف ميل. انبثق ضوء نظام الدفع الرباعي للخدمة مباشرة قبل مغادرتي للبلدة وغادرت بسرعة. عندما عدت جاءت على اندفاعة وهي الآن تعمل بالكامل. تسير بشكل جيد مع عدم وجود أعراض أستطيع أن أقولها.

أخطط لإجراء بحث أكثر تعمقًا في المنتديات ، ولكني كنت آمل أن يتمكن شخص ما من الحديث بسرعة عما يمكن أن يكون عليه أو يوجهني في اتجاه قبل أن أحدد موعدًا للنظر فيه.

هو موضع تقدير أي مساعدة.
[/اقتبس]
Cant translate..

·
Registered
1 Posts
with this issue, do you think I could try just replacing the TC module before replacing the Transfer Case Motor?? I am having an issue with my 2014 jeep cherokee trailhawk...the svc 4wd light is on, but no noise as of yet. Also, it looks like my engine moves when I start my vehicle...should that be?? Could that be part of my problem as well??? My vehicle has about 120k on it and my warranty is over.
I know this was an old post but did you get it resolved? I have the same car with similar miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone, just closing the loop here. So I took it to the dealer as stated above, they quoted me $2,600.00 for a new Transfer Case, Transfer Case Motor, and Transfer Case Control Module. When I asked what had happened, they told me that the TC was binding up causing the motor/module to fail. This didn't sound right, but lets play along.

When I asked them if they would contact FCM about the Powertrain Warranty because that seemed a bit excessive as it was only 2 months beyond the 5 year mark and well below the 100k mark, they told me that there was no way FCM would cover it and even tried to state that the warranty wouldn't have covered it which was a lie.

When I told them it was still too expensive and I would need a second opinion, they came back with a proposal and this is where it got really fishy. They told me if I was willing to replace 2 Engine Mounts and do a differential fluid flush on both front and rear they would waive the cost to replace the other parts. Cost: $1,600. When something seems too good to be true, it usually is. How could a dealer offer me $2,600 in parts/service if I was willing to pay the regular price of $1,600 for engine mounts/fluid flush? They would have been better off telling me they'd cut the $2,600 down to $1,600 and call it a day.

Instead, now knowing my WK2 was fully out of warranty, I decided a second opinion and some research was necessary. The truck was still driveable although I would be careful with it. The dealer told me it was a one-time offer and that I'd be back and they couldn't guarantee the same offer would be available.

I hit up the forums here as well as spoke to a coworker who just happens to also have a WK2 (still under warranty). He has a shop at his house, so I guess I've found my new place to work on the Jeep if needed.

Pricing out the parts vs what the dealer quoted me, I decided to take a phased approach. I would start by replacing the Transfer Case Motor with a brand new one first, and then go down the line. Even if I ended up replacing the TC itself, I figured I would still save money.

I replaced the TC Motor, which unfortunately did not fix the light. I was still getting a clicking sound every time I shifted in or out of gear as well as turned the wheel at a stop. It would occasionally bind up when slowly turning near full lock (turning in/out of parking spaces) and then would break free. The light would be off initially upon start up and for the first few minutes of driving, but would turn on again at highway speeds.

I'll admit I wasn't the quickest to order the next part (TC Module), but I did begin sourcing one. While doing this, the behavior of the Service 4WD light changed. Instead of ticking and binding up, the light was on upon start up and remained on all the time with no ticking or binding up.

Replaced the TC Module (under the drivers seat) by removing the fuse first and then plug and play with the module, and all is back to normal. No Service 4WD light and it drives perfectly normal.

Total Cost - $609.00
Total Time - 45 Minutes
Difficulty - 3.5 - Overall it was pretty simple, but anyone not comfortable crawling under a vehicle might be a little uneasy. If you've ever replaced anything under the vehicle, this couldn't have been more simple and straight forward. The Module was plug and play, like adding a new fan to your computer tower.

One thing I did notice was that both parts seemed to be newer versions. I can grab part numbers if anyone would like them.
I would like the part # please...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys. Had the same issue, service 4wd light comes on after 5 min drive. Clicking sound from underneath, ( can hear with open window). Took to the jeep service center. Transfer control module has been raplaced. Problem solved.
Grand Cherokee WK2 , 2014
Hi, My light came on tonight on my way home… car wouldn’t accelerate over 48. I pulled over, turned off and restarted. No problem on the rest of my 40 min drive home. Wondering…. How much was the transfer control module?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts