Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you checked the rear diff module,it i located under the drivers side rear seat...or broken wires from module to rear diff motor ,as soon as the weather gets better ,im checking the rear diff module,....
Did you test your old diff motor?
Was it turning ,working,?

View attachment 239627
Thank you for your response

how i check the new rear diff module?
the motor is working but loose
all electrical wire checked and it is good.

·
Registered
273 Posts
That i dont know,when i get to the module i will be taking it to dealer & have them check it is it good or not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys. Had the same issue, service 4wd light comes on after 5 min drive. Clicking sound from underneath, ( can hear with open window). Took to the jeep service center. Transfer control module has been raplaced. Problem solved.
Grand Cherokee WK2 , 2014
I have same issue with service 4 wheel drive system message, and warning indicator on dash panel. It looks like a vehicle skidding. Stays lit solid when it comes on. It’s a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with 40,300 miles. What the heck is going on with these vehicles? In researching I have found a number of these jeeps (different years) with similar problems, and they seem to be occurring around the time extended warranties expire. Mine is 7 years/60K. Fortunately I still have a little over 5 months and am well below the 60K. My dealer is also having trouble pinpointing the trouble.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have same issue with service 4 wheel drive system message, and warning indicator on dash panel. It looks like a vehicle skidding. Stays lit solid when it comes on. It’s a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with 40,300 miles. What the heck is going on with these vehicles? In researching I have found a number of these jeeps (different years) with similar problems, and they seem to be occurring around the time extended warranties expire. Mine is 7 years/60K. Fortunately I still have a little over 5 months and am well below the 60K. My dealer is also having trouble pinpointing the trouble.
Most likely your rear diff motor or rear diff module,what are the codes?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone!

I'm in a similar situation and have been for just over a year now.

I drive a 2015 Grand Cherokee Summit with 72,000km and just before winter 2020 I got the message of needing to service 4 wheel drive. Mind you, I was only a couple months out of warranty and they wouldn't help with the cost.
I tried my cheap OBII reader and it gave me a generic U04-3-0 code.
I brought it to my friend who is a mechanic for Alfa Romero/Ferrari and he recommended I go see his friend at the Jeep dealer.

I did.

After him scanning my vehicle he mentioned I needed a new transfer case motor and that my friend can do the job to save on cost but would need to bring it back to Jeep to reprogram it. He mentioned there being no harm to the vehicle if left not repaired.

And to mention, I don't hear any of the clicking noise that most of you are hearing.

My friend at the time stopped taking side clients due to personal reasons so I've been holding off on doing this.

My husband is great with cars and finally wants to get around to replacing it himself.

I also want to mention that when I changed my 2 front tires and got an alignment done, the message did not come back on for multiple days.

I guess my question is, If I replace the transfer case motor, does this motor really need to be reprogrammed by Jeep?

Thanks!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Does your FCW &cruise Contfol ,& traction control functioning or not,if they are not its the rear diff motor

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does your FCW &cruise Contfol ,& traction control functioning or not,if they are not its the rear diff motor
I haven’t tried my cruise control but when the service 4x4 message comes on it deactivates my traction control (the traction light comes on my dash)

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,824 Posts
Hey everyone!

I'm in a similar situation and have been for just over a year now.

I drive a 2015 Grand Cherokee Summit with 72,000km and just before winter 2020 I got the message of needing to service 4 wheel drive. Mind you, I was only a couple months out of warranty and they wouldn't help with the cost.
I tried my cheap OBII reader and it gave me a generic U04-3-0 code.
I brought it to my friend who is a mechanic for Alfa Romero/Ferrari and he recommended I go see his friend at the Jeep dealer.

I did.

After him scanning my vehicle he mentioned I needed a new transfer case motor and that my friend can do the job to save on cost but would need to bring it back to Jeep to reprogram it. He mentioned there being no harm to the vehicle if left not repaired.

And to mention, I don't hear any of the clicking noise that most of you are hearing.

My friend at the time stopped taking side clients due to personal reasons so I've been holding off on doing this.

My husband is great with cars and finally wants to get around to replacing it himself.

I also want to mention that when I changed my 2 front tires and got an alignment done, the message did not come back on for multiple days.

I guess my question is, If I replace the transfer case motor, does this motor really need to be reprogrammed by Jeep?

Thanks!
I looked thru the repair manual and the page for shift motor replacement is shown below. It says nothing about reprogramming anything. No guarantee it's not needed but you'd think it would be mentioned.

Font Parallel Engineering Auto part Technical drawing

41 - 48 of 48 Posts