Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

"Service Shifter" Intermittent Error Display In Dash With OBDII Adapter Connected.

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  BearK9 
#1 ·
We have a 2015 GC with the ecodiesel, 50+000 mi on it.

I have a OBDLink MX+ adapter that I use with Torque Pro and also with AlfaOBD, and I also have a BAFX adapter.

When either adapter is present, I sometimes get an error display on the in dash display that says "Service Shifter". Then when I stop and put the vehicle in Park the shifter freezes up and does not respond.

The only way I can free up the shifter is to clear the fault codes about three times using Torque or Alfa. Then the vehicle operates normally. This only happens once in a while and unpredictably. The last time it happened I was in a very busy gas station and couldn't move.

With no ODB adapter present in the socket, I have never had a problem. It's only when an adapter has been plugged in for some time.that this occurs I always unplug the adapter when parked, so it does get refreshed and is not constantly on.

I don't really want to take it to the dealer for troubleshooting because the condition is not easily repeatable and I don't know if an aftermarket adapter is really "authorized" to be used in the OBD socket.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bluegrass Picker

See less See more
#2 ·
My Eco does the exact same thing with the service shifter message. It also dings and flashes another message so fast I can’t read it. It stops when I remove the obd reader. Happens with Bafx so I picked up an obdlink LX (blue tooth) and so far it hasn’t done it yet on the same length drives. I use torque also. 2014 eco with AEM update. Haven’t done the two latest campaigns yet.

#3 ·
That's been known to happen with things added into the network. It's noise, interference, and generally poor "automotive grade" signals that just can't handle another module. Or it's the plug-in module. That can happen too, but usually not. Scan tools (even the pricey pro ones), data loggers, those insurance dongles, GPS from the used car lot, ELD (electronic logbooks) in the trucking world. They're a nightmare. It "could" be the device, it "could" be a module on the vehicle that would never act up in a million years without an "unexpected" module to communicate to. It could even bee a poor section in the vehicle's network that again, would never act up any other way. They're a nightmare really. They end up with lots of shop visits and lots of shop time at each visit, and USUALLY..... the problem ends up going on until the dongle (or other plugged in device) just dies, or it lives on forever.

I gather that warranty is long since over, but being the vehicle was sold with NO dongles in the OBDII port, you can bet that this isn't a warranty problem. As far as the dealer identifying the problem- That's gonna be a LONG shot, unless you're willing to spend more than the vehicle is worth. Stress testing communication circuits is NOT a shop floor level type of testing. I would recommend this. Try your dongle in another similar vehicle. If the problem follows the dongle, the problem is the dongle. If the problem does NOT follow the dongle, it does not exonerate the dongle, but it's more'n likely not "directly" related to the dongle.

Do you remember what code(s) were set, and exactly which module they were in?

#8 ·
That's been known to happen with things added into the network. It's noise, interference, and generally poor "automotive grade" signals that just can't handle another module. Or it's the plug-in module. That can happen too, but usually not. Scan tools (even the pricey pro ones), data loggers, those insurance dongles, GPS from the used car lot, ELD (electronic logbooks) in the trucking world. They're a nightmare. It "could" be the device, it "could" be a module on the vehicle that would never act up in a million years without an "unexpected" module to communicate to. It could even bee a poor section in the vehicle's network that again, would never act up any other way. They're a nightmare really. They end up with lots of shop visits and lots of shop time at each visit, and USUALLY..... the problem ends up going on until the dongle (or other plugged in device) just dies, or it lives on forever.

I gather that warranty is long since over, but being the vehicle was sold with NO dongles in the OBDII port, you can bet that this isn't a warranty problem. As far as the dealer identifying the problem- That's gonna be a LONG shot, unless you're willing to spend more than the vehicle is worth. Stress testing communication circuits is NOT a shop floor level type of testing. I would recommend this. Try your dongle in another similar vehicle. If the problem follows the dongle, the problem is the dongle. If the problem does NOT follow the dongle, it does not exonerate the dongle, but it's more'n likely not "directly" related to the dongle.

Do you remember what code(s) were set, and exactly which module they were in?
Thanks for your reply. I'm pretty sure it's the fault of the OBDII dongle being plugged in since it does the same thing with both dongles that I have. I don't remember the codes.

#4 ·
I discovered that having the Torque App turned on when I start the engine causes the shifter error. The shifter error does not occur when the Torque App is off. My OBDII device does not need to be removed. Thus, I turn off the Torque App before I shut off the engine during the engine idle cool down period.

#5 ·
I've had this issue happen a handful of times. Like OP says, I have no idea how to replicate it. It forces my wife to stop on the side of the highway once and I had to come clear the codes for her to be able to move. I now only install the dongle when I need to monitor something specific, like status of DPF, then pull it and leave it in the console. Have GDE which displays regens on the instrument panel, so don't need Torque App to know that regen completes.

#6 ·
I have experienced this with Scan Gauge II connected wired. So I switched to OBDLink MX+ but I am using the provided OBDLink app with no Service Shifter error messages any longer - or at least so far.

It's obviously the OBD device connected that causes it but also which app is causing the confusion for the vehicle as it interacts.

Based on what I am seeing above - the Torque Pro app seems to be the offender.

#9 ·
Thanks to everyone who replied. It seems that the Torque app is possibly the offender. That's the app that I had been using to monitor regens and temps.

I installed an on-off switch on my BAFX adapter, so I'll try turning it off until the vehicle starts and then turning it off before I shut it off, while leaving Torque running on the app.

If that doesn't solve the problem, I'll have to figure out how to monitor regens on Alfa OBD or the ScanWiz app.

Anyone know how to create a gauge for regen monitoring in Alfa OBD?

Thanks again,
Bluegrass Picker

#10 ·
Yes I agree it’s the app. The dongle is just that - a device that transmits and receives data. A middleman. It’s how the corresponding app processes that information back and forth to communicate.

#11 ·
2014 Eco; 100000 miles. Had this happen a few times quite a while ago. Using ObdLink MX, Galaxy Tab S2, Torque Pro and Alfa OBD.
Torque Pro and the MX are on all the time, from start to stop of engine, occasionally have to reconnect the MX when the tablet refuses to reconnect on the BT. Did update Torque some time ago.
Also all campaigns done including new EGR cooler. GDE Engine and Trans Tune (second ECU) for the last 75k miles, all GDE tunes updated except the last one (not going to do that one, it re-activates EGR, it is the EPA approved one)
I hope it keeps ticking for another 100k.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.