Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee Overland
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving about 30mph, on a rural road, on a clear day, no other cars around, when the front panel of my panoramic sunroof spontaneously exploded up/out. I heard a loud POP, heard the glass sliding across the roof, then saw it falling past the back window in my rear view mirror. In what is left of the pane, there are cracks running from at least two of the outer corners toward the center. After a quick search for exploding sunroofs, I reported the incident on the NHTSA website.
My vehicle is still under warranty, and I naively thought Jeep would graciously take care of it. However, I am getting the run around from the dealer. I have been told that the Chrysler regional rep is the decision maker. Conveniently, the service manager relayed to me that the regional folks do not interact with customers in any form or fashion. Really? So, did they view the photos?? Did anyone relay how it happened?? Obviously, I did not have the opportunity to share that information. I was told I could try a dealer in a different region and that I might have better luck. Evidently, Jeep would rather lose a customer for life, than replace a $500 sunroof pane. SMDH (Yes, it lists for $700ish, but I have a quote for $504 from Sunroof Express, shipping included, and they source OEM parts from the dealers!)

If this has happened to you, be sure to report it, regardless of the brand. There is already a class action lawsuit against Honda for this issue making its way through the courts. Guessing more will follow. I was fortunate, my shade was closed and I was not driving at high speed. Others have been far less fortunate.

Water resources Hood Automotive tire Water Road surface

Hood Sleeve Rectangle Automotive exterior Font

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum.
You said your Jeep is still under warranty.
Is that the bumper to bumper or an extended warranty?

If its bumper to bumper there shouldn't be any dealership run arounds.
But it sounds like they are going to try to deny the warranty claim blaming it on vandalism, misuse, etc. which would be next to impossible to disprove unless there was a witness involved then enter arbitration and lawyers.

As a last resort check with your auto insurance company.
They would likely have the repair done if the dealership, FCA, Stellantis or whatever their called these days digs in their heels.

And yes if more people reported things like this to the NHTSA maybe these auto companies would straighten out their act.
Thank you for the welcome!
Yes, it is still under the bumper to bumper warranty. The service advisor (and I use that term loosely,) told me he had to submit a digital warranty claim. I provided several photos of the initial damage, he took photos with the aluminum tape that now covers the opening, along with a few others. He whined the ENTIRE time about how he was working for free if they denied the claim. "22 years as an advisor" he bragged over and over, and totally clueless on resizing photos for upload in their system. He wasn't even going to use my photos because he thought a megabyte was smaller than a kilobyte.
I explained how it happened, in detail. He did not include any details, like the fact that the glass went over the roof, telling me that he knew what "they" were looking for.

He left me a voicemail the next day, rambling on about how it wasn't a digital claim, and that he had wasted his time because the regional Chrysler rep was the person to determine warranty coverage, or not. Also chiming in how he didn't have an opinion, but in the same breath, it was "just his opinion that something had hit it," a rock from a nonexistent car, perhaps; but that he had never heard of it happening, so basically it must not be a thing.

Next, I reached out to the service manager and he just put it off on the rep, and parroted the whole "no one above dealer level will deal with customers directly," but that of course, I would be welcome to try the general customer service number or a dealer in a different region. It took 2 weeks JUST to get the appointment for them to look at it. A closer dealer wanted me to leave the car for at least 2 weeks, so it would be there when a tech had a minute to look at it! No loaners, no rentals. WTF?

I saw one post here with a successful small claims win/reimbursement. He had dash cam footage, though. I had four friends in the car, two couples who are also Jeep owners. The GC was more comfy for 5, so I drove. Maybe statements from them would be helpful in small claims, but it seems to me that the official company policy is to stonewall all warranty requests, and ignore any/all evidence.

I flat tow it behind my motor home and was 1300 miles from home when it happened. I notified USAA right away, hoping I could have it fixed where I was or along my route home. USAA farmed it out to Safelite, then Safelite farmed it out to Sunroof Express. Sunroof Express could not locate the glass or an installer within 250 miles of my route home, so I decided to stick with a warranty claim upon returning home.
I also considered repairing it out of pocket to avoid the $500 deductible AND a claim that would give USAA a reason to raise my rates. As I mentioned, I can get the glass for the cost of my deductible, and the Sunroof Express authorized installers quoted $200 for the install - through the retail side vs. insurance side. However, when I called 2 of the installers directly, they pushed me to use my insurance. One raised his out of pocket price to over $1500, including the glass, the other said it could easily cost an additional $600 to get the glass pieces out...because they MIGHT need to drop the headliner and the shade, etc, etc, etc. YouTube is looking good about now!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Far as i know if you have comprehensive auto insurance they cover broken glass with no deductibles.
Unfortunately the dealership sounds like a bunch a Aholes trying to weasel out of a warranty claim.

Forget the service manager, most are programmed to reject claims where ever possible. I'd go directly to the dealership's general manager or preferably the dealership owner.

Since you have witnesses and mention that, if they still dig in their heels might threaten them with a law suit and see what happens.
But you'd have to go through FCA arbitration first before filing a law suit.
Not sure if it is a USAA thing or not, but there is no exception to the comprehensive deductible for the sunroof, I have spoken with them 3 or 4 times, so far. There may be an exception for windshields and other glass, fortunately, I have not needed glass replacement until now, so can't say for sure.

I did ask to speak with the GM, but the SM said it would not matter, because the dealer would foot the bill (due to regional denial) and THAT was not going to happen. Even so, I think I will take your advice and go straight to him. The dealership is still privately owned, but the founder died last year. If the GM is no help, I will see if the kids have the ethics of their father.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts