Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 grand Cherokee limited.It happened about a month ago, was in the interstate about 80mph and it just shifted into neutral, it scared me really bad i had an semi behind me , I'm glad that he saw i put my emergency lights on so he slowed down, car wouldn't start,felt like it was getting no gas. I attempted to restarted about 4 times and nothing , while i was looking for a tow company on the internet , i was like heck i will give it another try ,and it started and i drove away. Took it to the dealership , no check engine light on so there was nothing they could do. So i left a little upset.It happened again today. I was driving on the service road and it pop into neutral again tried to restart a few time without any luck.(same it felt like it wasn't getting gas) Let it sit there for about 2 minutes without messing with it and it started again.no check engine light. Could they be sometime that for some reason gets hot and kills the cars? Like a sensor somewhere? I'm not going back to the dealership because i will get the same answer nothing we can do if CEL is not on.
has anyone have the same issue any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Odd there's no CEL trouble code.
Maybe the PCM lost power instantly and/or went into lala land and didn't have enough time to generate a CEL.
Only thing i can think of is a bad ground, power supply issue or flaky connector somewhere.

·
Registered
JGC
939 Posts
Which motor do you have (determines which transmission)? Strange no CEL.
Pulling back on the shifter on a 2014 puts it in Sport Mode. Pushing forward does put it in neutral. Seems hard to see how that could happen unless someone was crawling from the front passenger seat to the back.
Might try disconnecting the battery, wait a bit, and then reconnect the battery to see if some sort of reset occurs that may fix this very rare issue.

·
Registered
489 Posts
it shifted into N when my dog bumped it, a little too easy if you ask me. I hope it can't be pushed into R.
You need to push the button to get to R, but even if you did that, nothing will happen at any speed over 5 MPH.
As far as which trans, a 2014 will have an 8HP, the specific one (45 or 70) will have no effect on how the shifter operates

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it shifted into N when my dog bumped it, a little too easy if you ask me. I hope it can't be pushed into R.
I drive with both hands on the steering wheel. But yes it makes sense. They are very sensitive.
Which motor do you have (determines which transmission)? Strange no cell.
It's a 2014, so those asking whether or not you bumped the shifter is not applicable as it moves the vehicle into Sport Mode.
Might try disconnecting the battery, wait a bit, and then reconnect the battery to see if some sort of reset occurs that may fix this very rare issue.
Sorry it's a 3.6l, the two times it happened i tried to put it back in drive since the display asked for and it will automatically pop back into neutral, so both times i moved out of traffic turned off the jeep. It won't restart , i have to let it seat there for a couple minutes before it will restart.after that i can drive off like nothing ever happened. It's just crazy and scary. That if it happens again and the person behind me is not putting attention. I might be a new sticker on there bumper 😂

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey man, I hate to be the devils advocate here, but you might be getting life hints that your transmission valve body might be going out soon. I started with problems similar to yours and one day as soon as my wife got home from the store ..booom.. truck wouldn’t turn on and when it did, it wouldn’t go into gear, then it would suddenly go into gear then next thing you know, that thing was at the jeep dealer with a bad transmission valve body diagnostic. Just something to think about, and get you ready since that job is pretty pricey if you don’t have warranty. I have a 15 grand Cherokee 3.6 also. Good luck to you man.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts