Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My first post, brand new owner as I just picked up a 2020 6cyl Trailhawk yesterday.
We love it, but am wondering if there is a shock upgrade out there that keeps the ride (very happy overall and with the air ride) but possibly 'eats' the bumps and ruts and potholes a little more ruthlessly?
Don't want floaty or bouncy.
Had an FJ and the Fox's worked nicely, as did some Kings a mate was running.

Not bitching, reeeeallly love the new truck, but I've got a 52 year old sports-hammered back that would appreciate no more jarring than possible.;)

Appreciate any thoughts this community might offer.

Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
I believe with the QL suspension you are only able to swap the rear shocks with Bilstein 4600 or 5100. The front is an all-in-one setup if I remember. There was a guy trying to retrofit a different front strut with the QL, but I'm not sure how far he got. Also the 2016+ front suspension has a slight change with the sway bar connect so the Bilstein don't work regardless.

Registered
Grand Cherokee
The QL suspension has regular shocks in the rear, like Cheyenne71 is saying.... ....the front is a spring over shock/strut with an airbag over the shock..... ...they only come with the air bag pre-assembled over it.... ...yes the air bag can be removed and re-installed, it might require some special tools.... ...problem is, it really looks like the air bag won't mount on a shock designed for the conventional suspension, the spring perch looks to be in a different location.... ...all speculation, some folks are endevouring to find out for sure, but taking their time about it, don't blame them, the parts are expensive..... ....and Cheyenne is right again, 2016+ changed suspension slightly and the sway bars mounts to the shock, which requires a metal tab welded to the shock to attache the swaybar.... ....and the aftermarket hasn't provided versions with that tab yet....

Only thing I'm aware of for the front strut on the WK2 with QL is the Mopar Replacement part or an aftermarket direct replacement that doesn't advertise any performance improvement over the OEM part, just a direct replacement.....

Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
Hi. My first post, brand new owner as I just picked up a 2020 6cyl Trailhawk yesterday.
We love it, but am wondering if there is a shock upgrade out there that keeps the ride (very happy overall and with the air ride) but possibly 'eats' the bumps and ruts and potholes a little more ruthlessly?
Don't want floaty or bouncy.
Had an FJ and the Fox's worked nicely, as did some Kings a mate was running.

Not bitching, reeeeallly love the new truck, but I've got a 52 year old sports-hammered back that would appreciate no more jarring than possible.;)

Appreciate any thoughts this community might offer.

View attachment 227473
Check your tire pressures, they might be over inflated. I think the factory say use 36 psi. I wouldn't be worried to use 32 psi cold.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys for all the good info. Interesting that Jeep went down the road of making a complicated to replace suspension item. Half the fun of vehicles designed for offroading is the aftermarket and certainly it's lucrative AND keeps their vehicles on the road longer as well maintained bodies can be used as a basis for re-invention a decade down the track....
After searching online and finding no parts maker offering shocks for the QL I emailed Kings today just to see if they had any plans in the works to produce one for the WK2. Sadly they replied with a pretty emphatic 'No, we won't be going down that road'. Ah well.

With what you're describing Mongo re sway bar attachment, does that also mean an aftermarket beefier sway bar for the rear set up is also not doable?

Lastly, but should have been the first thing I attended to....psi was set by the dealer at 39.
I'll be airing down to 35 tomorrow and go from there!;)(y)

Thanks everyone for their responses. As a first time Jeep owner this is going to be a blast!
I had spent about a year planning on getting a Wrangler, doing time on the forums and such, but in the end climbing rocks was less part of our likely travels and Overlanding more the plan.
This Trailhawk looks like it will take us to all the places we'd ever want to get to.馃槏

Super Moderator
Interesting that Jeep went down the road of making a complicated to replace suspension item
QL in its present form has been on the JGC ("WK2") since the 2011 model year. The platform was designed during the Daimler ownership years and is shared with the ML350. The likely reason for the design in my mind is...space and tolerances while having the variable height that an air suspension brings.

Reactions: 68Hawk

Registered
You could look into replacing the tires with something that has a softer sidewall. The Goodyear Wranglers that come stock ride just as rough as my 22's.

Registered
Grand Cherokee
....With what you're describing Mongo re sway bar attachment, does that also mean an aftermarket beefier sway bar for the rear set up is also not doable?....
I don't think the sway bars changed, they simply used longer end links to connect it the steel strut instead of the lower control arm..... ...that requires a strut with tab/mount point welded to it.....

2016+ suspension is pretty much the same as before, they simply switched to several of the steel pieces to aluminum, like the steering knuckle and lower control arm.... ...that required mounting one of the ball joints to the control arm instead of the steering knuckle, and connecting the sway bar the old way was out, because the lower control arm is now aluminum, they just put longer end links on the bar and connected it to the steel strut instead.... ...pretty sure the bar is the same....

But you want to confirm that, check the listings and/or part numbers for before and after 2016....

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think the sway bars changed, they simply used longer end links to connect it the steel strut instead of the lower control arm..... ...that requires a strut with tab/mount point welded to it.....

2016+ suspension is pretty much the same as before, they simply switched to several of the steel pieces to aluminum, like the steering knuckle and lower control arm.... ...that required mounting one of the ball joints to the control arm instead of the steering knuckle, and connecting the sway bar the old way was out, because the lower control arm is now aluminum, they just put longer end links on the bar and connected it to the steel strut instead.... ...pretty sure the bar is the same....

But you want to confirm that, check the listings and/or part numbers for before and after 2016....
Thanks.(y)

Registered
GC TH
FWIW, Arnott makes replacements that use Eibach shocks for the front, so there might be a way to get just the shock.

Registered
GC TH
Thanks Guys for all the good info. Interesting that Jeep went down the road of making a complicated to replace suspension item. Half the fun of vehicles designed for offroading is the aftermarket and certainly it's lucrative AND keeps their vehicles on the road longer as well maintained bodies can be used as a basis for re-invention a decade down the track....
After searching online and finding no parts maker offering shocks for the QL I emailed Kings today just to see if they had any plans in the works to produce one for the WK2. Sadly they replied with a pretty emphatic 'No, we won't be going down that road'. Ah well.

With what you're describing Mongo re sway bar attachment, does that also mean an aftermarket beefier sway bar for the rear set up is also not doable?

Lastly, but should have been the first thing I attended to....psi was set by the dealer at 39.
I'll be airing down to 35 tomorrow and go from there!;)(y)

Thanks everyone for their responses. As a first time Jeep owner this is going to be a blast!
I had spent about a year planning on getting a Wrangler, doing time on the forums and such, but in the end climbing rocks was less part of our likely travels and Overlanding more the plan.
This Trailhawk looks like it will take us to all the places we'd ever want to get to.馃槏
That鈥檚 funny; I was in the same boat. I was dead set to buy a JL, but once I drove both and really thought about it, the Trailhawk won. I do miss the door less aspect, and wish we could more easily run bigger tires, but wouldn鈥檛 change a thing regarding the decision for the Trailhawk. We love it.

Reactions: 68Hawk
1 - 11 of 11 Posts