Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have replaced the battery on my 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk three times now. Grr. We live in Arizona which is hard on batteries with the heat. The last battery was an Interstate AGM from Firestone. It carried a 60 month prorated warranty with a free replacement for the first 30 months. This battery lasted 25 months so I got a replacement but had to pay $30 for the installation labor. Grr again. I have two questions now. The first is what is the best and longest lasting battery available also considering the summer heat of 115? The second is about jump start portable batteries. We have only one car, live in a 55+ retirement community that mostly clears out for the summer and I am worried that the car could not start at any time and might strand me in the desert or out on the highway someplace. It seems like a jump start battery would bring peace of mind. What do you recommend that would start the Cherokee V6 and be reasonably priced?

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,992 Posts
I have replaced the battery on my 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk three times now. Grr. We live in Arizona which is hard on batteries with the heat. The last battery was an Interstate AGM from Firestone. It carried a 60 month prorated warranty with a free replacement for the first 30 months. This battery lasted 25 months so I got a replacement but had to pay $30 for the installation labor. Grr again. I have two questions now. The first is what is the best and longest lasting battery available also considering the summer heat of 115? The second is about jump start portable batteries. We have only one car, live in a 55+ retirement community that mostly clears out for the summer and I am worried that the car could not start at any time and might strand me in the desert or out on the highway someplace. It seems like a jump start battery would bring peace of mind. What do you recommend that would start the Cherokee V6 and be reasonably priced?
I've had good luck with those small lithium jump start batteries. They hold their charge for quite a while, I think they claim a year but I like to put mine on the charger about every 6 months. I've seen people post test of several but I imagine most of them have been replaced with different models by now. The key thing I noticed from the tests are don't believe the claims. From what I could see you want one which has battery of at least about 15,000 mAh. A lot of them list peak amperage but it's nonsense. Some claim 600 amps and even 1000 amps. If they delivered that kind of amperage the cables would catch fire. Normal starter draw is less than 150 amps. The ones with batteries down at 12,000 and less often had a lot of trouble starting larger engines. And some of the name brands did the worst.

·
Registered
2017 Summit, California Edition Hemi
337 Posts
Jim is right. Don't believe the wild claims. Most of the specs listed out there are total BS. The bigger NOCO's work good. I have a couple of friends that use them. I prefer the Antigravity Batteries XP-10 Micro-Start myself. XP-10 MICRO-START Jump-Starter I have one and my neighbor has one and we've used them a number of times with great results.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
OPer, you eluded to it but didn't quite say it, do you also leave for the Summer and let the car sit for a long period?

If thats the case batteries will deteriorate when they sit for long periods.
Self discharging and the quiescent electronics amperage draw will eventually take a toll on the battery.
The above with the high Az heat will tend to shorten the life of the batteries.

Along with a quality jump starter i'd also suggest you use a battery tender if/when you leave the car sit for long periods without driving it.
The best thing to keep a battery healthy are long drives which ensures the alternator charges the battery adequately.
Not much you can do about the Az heat though.

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 3.6L 4x2
2,171 Posts
I carry our NOCO GB40 in whatever vehicle we are using, including my Suzuki V-Strom.👍

1 - 5 of 5 Posts