Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 668 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
COME ON it is time to put up or shut up . . . where's the beef ? Where are those great family camping in the wilderness pictures? RV parks & electrical/water hookups don't count! Camping on the beach, maybe, but in the woods by a river or lake or in the desert or backroads (dirt) of any Public Lands Wilderness or National Park primitive campsite will do ! ! ! Some have "talk some" of your WK2 Summits & Overlands going "where no man has gone before" (sorry Star Trek fans).
This could be a Super "Show & Tell" Time, and just think of all the FREE publicity for JEEP (FCA US) ?
I'm seeing a scene in my mind . . . it's me with my campsite fire aglow near sunset across & up river from me . . . walking back toward the 4x4 Laredo which secures the fire from the prevailing breezes. In hand one 14 inch hatchery rainbow for a late dinner. Coffee will soon be perking . . . it's all so clear (in my mind).
SO what do ya say . . . who's first ?
ps; mine will have to wait as I am presently without digital ability or vehicle and the 2017 Laredo I want is not yet available to buy (come July/Aug I hope?).

·
Registered
784 Posts
Not quite hardcore off roading yet, but it was a snowy dirt road with steep hills ;) . I just haven't made it up to the hills yet for the real stuff, but I will soon enough.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,168 Posts
There are many threads here showing JGC off-road including some very challenging situations...

·
Super Moderator
8,168 Posts
There's a dude down in South America who's posted a number of threads that included things I wouldn't even think of trying, even though I know my JGC can do them...

·
Premium Member
2005 WK
799 Posts
The WK2 platform is definitely capable. Here's a video I found a while back ago of a bone stock 2014 WK2 taking on the notorious Hell's Gate in Moab. I've been there when I had my ZJ and they recommended I not try it since I did not have a front locking diff. After seeing some other videos of vehicles flipping, I listened to them and just watched the others

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RZlCjil4vM

·
Registered
Subaru Legacy STIEVO
1,981 Posts
COME ON it is time to put up or shut up . . . where's the beef ? Where are those great family camping in the wilderness pictures?
Did you even bother searching? First off there's a dedicated forum for that. Most likely you find the evidence there. Second, some of us have already opened threads with our off road exploits.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Did you even bother searching? First off there's a dedicated forum for that. Most likely you find the evidence there. Second, some of us have already opened threads with our off road exploits.
I know I don't mind an additional forum or two of off-roading pics. Duplication also makes it easier to find information, albeit in separate locations. Researching duplicate threads always takes some time. Great pics! Keep em coming. Too bad there are no trails in WI - WTF!?!

·
Registered
Summit 4x4
84 Posts
Next weekend I'm heading to New Mexico to visit the Trinity Site, which they open up two days per year for visits. Then we're heading over to tour the VLA, then after that I'm planning on driving up to the top of Mt. Withington in Cibola National Forest. I'll get some shots along the way.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not quite hardcore off roading yet, but it was a snowy dirt road with steep hills ;) . I just haven't made it up to the hills yet for the real stuff, but I will soon enough.
HI Driver Dave - That is a fine photo, simple,clear and well balanced. SO, what lies "beyond" down what appears to be that slope - the one you intend to go down ? :) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
just a few.....

YES, HI, I just made reference to you and your YouTube videos ! I have your channel bookmarked and watch for new videos every week ! You should ad to the videos what becomes of the trip at the campsite - assuming some of them are not just day trips exploring. Also make it more personable with some voice-over . . . you know, some "oh shit" conversation . . . :) :D

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just to ad a side to my other entry; I LOVE Colorado. Many a time I've longed to make a move, but the bottom line for me (again) is the cost (income loss). Being Retired Navy & living in Washington has multiple benefits - no income tax & the ability to avoid much sales tax when shopping on any military facility.

But, I have the newest Delorme Atlas & Gazetteer and have bookmarked many a Colorado fly fishing destination as well as Colorado's Fantastic Recreational Mapping website (can't think of the name). Next year come 1st Spring thaw, I am THEIR - Probably start down in SW; Dorango and work my way up to Colorado Springs and on up to the Rocky Mt. National Park area ! I could easily spend a year camping / fly fishing . . . hitting a motel on weekends then doing it all over again. That has been my long range retirement plan for over 5 years, and now that I will have an additional (S.S.) income, this trip of a lifetime should be possible. Well as long as I remain in decent health (status - decent) :)

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The WK2 platform is definitely capable. Here's a video I found a while back ago of a bone stock 2014 WK2 taking on the notorious Hell's Gate in Moab. I've been there when I had my ZJ and they recommended I not try it since I did not have a front locking diff. After seeing some other videos of vehicles flipping, I listened to them and just watched the others

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RZlCjil4vM
So, is this where I come in and say, "big slab of humbled pie please!" ? :D

I personally don't get the motivation to do THAT, but I can't fault anyone for THEIR Fun Times ! Daring to say the least, WOW ! Betcha he would not do that without all those spotters and club members for all kinds of "support" should anything go wrong !

Me, I prefer the go it alone or in a tight circle of like minded fly fishers / campers. Quieter Nature watching with a healthy dose of hiking when necessary to get to the fish ! NO PLACE I'd rather be than riverside camping with the coffee perking (you know what perking is right? :) ). Oh, and a cup in hand with a shot of "something" in it to warm my "spirits" ! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So sorry to of upset you. I did not realize I was being such a jack off pain in the arse ! Every one else seems to of come on board and being kind and sharing of their exploits - whether or not it is a Repeat Performance for them on past threads - and for that I am grateful and have shown my THANKS to just about every entry . . . so far ! Hope you feel better tomorrow. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
8,168 Posts
Fly', I think that some folks are just pointing out that there is a wealth of information in these forums already that in addition to what might be posted in this thread, will be useful to you as you consider just how capable the JGC is for off-road adventures. ;)

1 - 20 of 668 Posts